Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Howards brave new Australia

Howards brave new Australia

Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Howards brave new Australia

How many more will follow the Commonwealth?
Its really not looking good in the land of high taxes, worse wages to average house price ratio than Blighty and to be frank crap employee rights.

Tough times ahead for the Aussies (or recently arrived pom refugees) not on Howards Christmas list.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...476210875.html
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Howards brave new Australia

I suppose the trouble with the changes is that it can go too far and people end up being paid nothing extra for giving up a bank holiday with family.

However, some of the payments which people receive here for tasks which should really be done as part of their normal job seem a bit of joke. Why should you receive money for meals unless you have to eat at a certain place as part of your work – you’d have to pay for food anyhow? Why should you receive travel allowances – again unless you have to travel as part of your work. Why should you receive money for covering other people – assuming that you are not being actually asked to work longer hours for somebody else.
(Whilst I’m on my soapbox it’s also pretty disgraceful in my opinion that teachers are taking time off to protest. Why wasn’t the rally held on a Sunday?)
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:34 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

The unions should spend their time helping their people get through this by protecting those who are treated unjustly instead of spinning pure BS like this.

If you read this article the bank are making massive concessions, they are even honoring an agreement negotiated by the unions which expired 2 yrs ago... hardly a 'tough ' employer. Quite why people should be paid for rostered working on bank holidays etc is beyond me... And did you perhaps miss the bit where the bank were exchanging these for HIGHER BASE SALARIES?

The unions are against this reform becuase it takes their power away - look behind the message and who stands to lose, thats usually a good way of discerning wether something is crap or not.

There are people suffering because of these reforms - those companies that are driving that should be held out to account - not companies like this bank who are trying to act responsibly.

Im not sure the taxes are higher in Aus - you may want to check that fact.

Last edited by spalen; Nov 28th 2006 at 11:38 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:36 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I like the holiday loading, you get paid more when you are holiday then when you are working.

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I suppose the trouble with the changes is that it can go too far and people end up being paid nothing extra for giving up a bank holiday with family.

However, some of the payments which people receive here for tasks which should really be done as part of their normal job seem a bit of joke. Why should you receive money for meals unless you have to eat at a certain place as part of your work – you’d have to pay for food anyhow? Why should you receive travel allowances – again unless you have to travel as part of your work. Why should you receive money for covering other people – assuming that you are not being actually asked to work longer hours for somebody else.
(Whilst I’m on my soapbox it’s also pretty disgraceful in my opinion that teachers are taking time off to protest. Why wasn’t the rally held on a Sunday?)
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:37 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thats so true !

Originally Posted by spalen
The unions are against this reform becuase it takes their power away - look behind the message and who stands to lose, thats usually a good way of discerning wether something is crap or not.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
How many more will follow the Commonwealth?
Its really not looking good in the land of high taxes, worse wages to average house price ratio than Blighty and to be frank crap employee rights.

Tough times ahead for the Aussies (or recently arrived pom refugees) not on Howards Christmas list.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...476210875.html
Rubbish.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

The unions should spend their time helping their people get through this by protecting those who are treated unjustly instead of spinning pure BS like this.

If you read this article the bank are making massive concessions, they are even honoring an agreement negotiated by the unions which expired 2 yrs ago... hardly a 'tough ' employer. Quite why people should be paid for rostered working on bank holidays etc is beyond me... And did you perhaps miss the bit where the bank were exchanging these for HIGHER BASE SALARIES?

There are people suffering because of these reforms - those companies that are driving that should be held out to account - not companies like this bank who are trying to act responsibly.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that miners over here in WA actually like the new agreements - they are better off under them - and don't want to go back to unionised collective bargaining.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

It's hardly new. It's already been tried out in the UK.

You're obviously unaware that (according to the OECD) tax is lower in Aus than in the UK. I'm always amazed by how many people are fooled by the 'headline' rate.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:02 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

You're obviously unaware that (according to the OECD) tax is lower in Aus than in the UK. I'm always amazed by how many people are fooled by the 'headline' rate.
I dont think in this case Eatstatic is fooled - more that its a nicely controversial tone to take that prompts responses.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily true. As a contractor I paid a lot, a whole lot, less tax in the UK.
Not everyone is in the same situation.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not necessarily true. As a contractor I paid a lot, a whole lot, less tax in the UK.
Not everyone is in the same situation.
That's true for individuals especially if they avoid IR35. However contractors are not typical tax payers and I think the OECD works at a general overall level. I've been told that contractors in Aus also have ways of reducing their tax commitments.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Nov 29th 2006 at 12:49 am.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I have often wondered where this notion of higher taxes come from.

I can only state on own personal case, but in the UK I was on a very similar wage (just above the average) to oz and I am certainly paying less tax, that doesn't include other taxes VAT 17.5% GST 10% etc that are cheaper over here.

Also houses, I know that they have gone up in some states recently. But is the ratio of mortgages-wages that different to the UK?

By the way don't let Eatsatic wind you up, he is a horrible little creature who posts on here once in blue moon with the sole intention of winding people up. He rarely if ever can back up his argument, I think a lot of this is because he has to keep getting on his moped to deliver another pizza, you know that if it's not there in 15 minutes he has to give it away
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with this all this. I think Unions are a joke myself. Lets just forget politics and concentrate on Health and Safety and professional standards.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 1:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jond
I agree, I have often wondered where this notion of higher taxes come from.

I can only state on own personal case, but in the UK I was on a very similar wage (just above the average) to oz and I am certainly paying less tax, that doesn't include other taxes VAT 17.5% GST 10% etc that are cheaper over here.

Also houses, I know that they have gone up in some states recently. But is the ratio of mortgages-wages that different to the UK?

By the way don't let Eatsatic wind you up, he is a horrible little creature who posts on here once in blue moon with the sole intention of winding people up. He rarely if ever can back up his argument, I think a lot of this is because he has to keep getting on his moped to deliver another pizza, you know that if it's not there in 15 minutes he has to give it away
Agreed. The big hidden tax in the UK is the Employer's contribution. In the UK I was paying for my own pension plus 2 others. Here in Aus all of the employer's contribution goes into my own personal pension.

I'm only messing with yer man. Obviously life in Watford is not all it's cracked up to be and he feels the need to take a swipe at Aus to convince himself that he's made the right decision.

Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously life in Watford is not all it's cracked up to be and he feels the need to take a swipe at Aus to convince himself that he's made the right decision.

[/QUOTE]

Now I realise why he is so angry all the time. Watford :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.