Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How are you supposed to provide coffee/tea for your shippers....

How are you supposed to provide coffee/tea for your shippers....

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:52 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are you supposed to provide coffee/tea for your shippers....

My packers in Singapore wouldn't have wanted tea or coffee - they arrived with their own scary local variants - but I put some plastic cups on the water cooler and told them to keep hydrated (temps of 30+). Asian workers are generally far too polite to ask for anything. They did leave the kettle out for me although my friend arrived with a coolbag full of gin, tonic, ice and lemon which was a much better proposition.

My unpackers in Sydney arrived with their own kettle, tea and coffee although we had rented furniture and equipment anyway. They were a different breed altogether and didn't get going 'til they'd had a cuppa.

I always tip workmen for a job well done, if they are not the boss. In Asia especially, they get paid jack all and work their asses off. We also offered them some things we didn't want to bring; one was very happy with about 50 quid's worth of graphic novels and I had a chuckle watching another wander home in my discarded flipflops.

My top tip - give them some sweeteners (e.g., the books) on Day One and they'll work even harder on subsequent days.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Yup, gave them as much tea, coffee and biscuits as they wanted during the three days they were there. They three of them turned up when they said they were going to and worked like wee trojans and did a really good job and apart from that they were really nice guys. My dad gave them all 20 quid each, as to be honest it never even occurred to me to tip them, oops.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:32 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Your already paying them thousands of pounds to do their job. The should have there own food and drinks.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:24 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Your already paying them thousands of pounds to do their job. The should have there own food and drinks.
You're not paying them thousands, you're paying the shipping company. Personally, I think it's just good sense to treat them well whilst they're packing - offer them cuppas and decent biscuits. They are wrapping up your stuff and you want them to do a good job so it survives the trip. If they're well-disposed towards you, then they're more likely to do that.

Cheers
b
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Hi All,

I've bought a really cheap kettle from Tesco's, think it was about 8 quid. Packing our expensive kettle and keeping the cheap one out to provide packers with Tea and Coffee. We will also get use of the kettle for a week before we leave and then either give it to someone in the family or give it to charity.

At some of the really big Tesco's I think they do a really cheap kettle and toaster for just over a tenner.

I'm planning on buying lots of choccy biscuits to keep the packers happy, also if I buy choccy ones I won't be able to eat them (allergy) and so I'll be able to fit into my bikini when we get to Australia.

Thanks all.

M
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

can't understand why you should tip. Many threads on this site on the cost of containers etc are talking about charges of £2 - 6K. Surely they are getting paid enough. Coffe / tea and biscuits should be suffice.

Stingy.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Oliveoil is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all these responses , bit of a mixed bag but food for thought

we are not taking our kettle as I HATE IT and am looking forward to lobbing it at the wall when we leave, so no problem there

I think I will be on call with tea/coffee/biscuits and see how it goes re tips

we have a great chippy up the road and I may be kind and run to lunch if they are nice

roll on Tuesday when all this upheaval is over (well the first part anyway)
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
can't understand why you should tip. Many threads on this site on the cost of containers etc are talking about charges of £2 - 6K. Surely they are getting paid enough. Coffe / tea and biscuits should be suffice.

Stingy.
Good point - however the guys that come round and actually do the packing / un-packing's wages almost certainly don't get a salarly reflective of that.

T x
Old Oct 5th 2008, 3:26 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oliveoil
.....if they are packing your mugs away????

and did you tip them at the end?

(well it beats queries on 20ft containers surely?)
Clearly mark TEA MAKING ITEMS and I can guarantee they will be the last items packed and the first unpacked. Has always worked in the past!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Oliveoil is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I would do a little update on this:

shippers said they would be here between 10am-11am...I am doing the school drop off and they phone and say they are outside the house!!

Cue lots of rushing about and moving of neighbours cars

They were great, there from 9am-4pm ish, v tidy. I came back with my daughters after school and they were lovely with them, showing them their toys all wrapped up in the lorry

I made tons of tea and coffee, provided lunch.

But the cherry on the cake was them offering to go up into the loft and get the Christmas tree we had forgotten about (and remembered with a shittttttttt at midnight the night before :curse. Meant husband didn't have to leave work and sort it out so did us a major favour.

Tipped them £30 between them, which was due as they were fab.