Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to tell the family???

How to tell the family???

Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:02 pm
is hoping for the best

Location: dont know when now, but birmingham to perth soon :-(
english-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to tell the family???

we live in sutton coldfield and are heading for perth.

we are desperately trying to sell the house, nomination for sponsorship is still in the process, then visas will be started.
the type of visas we are going on should only take 3/4 months.

so if the house sells soon we are hoping to go about may/june.
but with the housing market the way it is god knows how long we will be here, cant go till it sells.

did you have any probs selling yours?

bet its so nice having your flights booked.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:04 pm
is hoping for the best

Location: dont know when now, but birmingham to perth soon :-(
english-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant futureenglish-rose has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DEEDEE01
Hi All,

Call me selfish but, is it not upto an adult what they do ? At what point in life do you stop being bossed about by other people ??

I am 25 and the hubby is nearly 29, we both told our parents from the moment we started thinking about, and I also think they were in the frame of mind of 'It's a phase', but now it is getting closer they know we are serious but it doesn't seem to have changed their opinions, they are still supportive.

I can understand the grandchild thing but everybody has their own path and you must follow it, regardless of others, if it's what you want, go for it.

I would never let anybody change my mind if I have my heart set on something, I do it.

There will be the odd person whos says 'I told you so', but what exactly have they done, probably nothing ! Thats not to say there not happy, it means they have lived their lives how they want to. Everybody wants different things.

People have to live their lives to the full, if things fail, at least you have tried, better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.

I think in situations like this, you need all the support you can get and family and friends need to realise this. I know it must be hard letting go (for all involved) but you have got to try. We explained from the start that we were gonna go for it regardless of what people thought, we were lucky I think.

Good luck to everyone who has yet to break the news, I'm sure things will be fine. Just remind yourself why you are doing it and who you are doing it for.

Good Luck

Donna.
x

here here!!!!

well said
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:04 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

We just told them outright when we first thought about it, both mums were pleased for us, infact don't think they can wait to see the back of us my mother in law keeps asking whether she should book flights for next christmas, we haven't even applied yet!! (although had the job offer)

Best to just tell them straight, they may suprise you with their reaction.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:07 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by english-rose
we live in sutton coldfield and are heading for perth.

we are desperately trying to sell the house, nomination for sponsorship is still in the process, then visas will be started.
the type of visas we are going on should only take 3/4 months.

so if the house sells soon we are hoping to go about may/june.
but with the housing market the way it is god knows how long we will be here, cant go till it sells.

did you have any probs selling yours?

bet its so nice having your flights booked.
(Apologies to the OP, just a quick butt-in, not a hi-jack.)

Had no problems once we got a good agent, got £4k over what we wanted (and £10k over what the agent recommended to sell it at) and it all went through in about 8 weeks. I think we sold bang on the end of the boom, and were just damn lucky (and long may that luck continue!).

Good luck with your sale, it only takes one person to want it.

20 more get-ups and were out here!!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo!
We just told them outright when we first thought about it, both mums were pleased for us, infact don't think they can wait to see the back of us my mother in law keeps asking whether she should book flights for next christmas, we haven't even applied yet!! (although had the job offer)

Best to just tell them straight, they may suprise you with their reaction.

Thinking about it, my parents can't probably wait to see the back of me LOL !!!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Verndownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Congradulations on the receipt of your visa.

Good luck with telling your parents.

I must admit, we are waiting til visa received aswell, no going back then.

Try telling them your going on a long working holiday and will be taking it there. May not seem so final then...

My plan anyway...

Good luck
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

toria184 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Verndownunder
Congradulations on the receipt of your visa.

Good luck with telling your parents.

I must admit, we are waiting til visa received aswell, no going back then.

Try telling them your going on a long working holiday and will be taking it there. May not seem so final then...

My plan anyway...

Good luck
My brother, his wife and daughter moved to Melbourne 2 years ago and although we were obviously upset it's their life and everyone will understand eventually. Just remind them how great the holidays are ha ha.... I've been twice and heading out in August for a year to see if I enjoy and possibly extend the visa. My bro has a lot to answer for he he....

Good luck, Victoria
Old Jan 8th 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

I believe that you should be upfront and tell people straight away. Thats what we did. I cant NOT tell people. (CazBeckham/Mum!- will vouch for that!)

Joanne
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

Originally Posted by boldon mackem
We got the VISA through this morning, so after much celebration and hand trembling, we now have to face up to the truth of telling everyone, we are going.

How has everyone done this? What would be your advise on what to & not to say?

I think both my family & the inlaws won't be happy that we are taking there 13 week old grand daughter away to the other side of the world.

Help please.
Have you done it yet???? - Hoping to tell mine tonight but we haven't even applied yet!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dave7370
My old man sent me this the other day, it had me right choked up.

I read this the other day in a book and it just seemed so appropriate – thought you might like it --

“It’s something called life. Children growing up, moving away, making their own way in the world. And that’s as it should be. After all, bringing them into the world was our choice, not theirs. Now all we can do is learn how to let go of them as graciously as possible, with no regrets”

We’re going to miss you terribly.

Love Mom and Dad
How lovely - for them to realise that and be able to send it to you is a great thing, you are very lucky. I wonder if I were to email that to my Mum what she would think???!

We got our visa's granted in Dec 06 (I cannot believe we are still here!) and told everyone as soon as we got it, also telling them don't worry we won't move until 2009 and had planned to have a baby before we go! Big mistake, apart from the fact parents are distraught any, we then brought move forward which made things worse (and scrapped the baby idea - thoguht we have an Aussie one instead!). Tip: don't tell anyone definate dates as there is every possibility these may change! It was like telling them all over again!

I spoke to my mum recently and even after all the explaining about why we were going she still takes it personnally - she said she didnt' understand how the pull of a country can be stronger than family and my sister's main concern was when she was going to see me again. Tip: on this note maybe honesty isn't best - my husband kept mentioning that he had no plans to come back, even for a visit...not a good move! Who know's when you will be back to visit or when family can visit you but it does them good to hear it will happen.

Good luck, be honest, you aren't doing anything bad, there are horrific things going on in the world and you just want to do something that makes you happy, and family will realise that and (eventually I hope!) be happy too!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Well, here's my input...

Sparky Hub asked me on our first date 7 1/2 years ago if I had ever thought of leaving the country. I replied...um, well haven't really ever thought about it.

It has become one of our long term goals together, although for a long time we were planning to go to Canada instead.

As a result, we have been open with family and friends, although not talking about it often, just one of those things you talk about with a few drinks of an evening at home.

I don't think either set of parents thought we would get as far as we have and FIL admitted that MIL thought it wouldn't ever happen.

Now she is very upset and to be honest the worst bit will be saying that the flights are booked...

Have a question...as we are flying in April would you leave telling them until next month, or would you tell them when you next see them (this weekend ) because we are going to offer BIL the chance to buy one of our cars. Don't know how much notice to give him money wise (it was mentioned last year).

Tbh, I am bricking it at the thought of telling them.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sparky wife
Well, here's my input...

Sparky Hub asked me on our first date 7 1/2 years ago if I had ever thought of leaving the country. I replied...um, well haven't really ever thought about it.

It has become one of our long term goals together, although for a long time we were planning to go to Canada instead.

As a result, we have been open with family and friends, although not talking about it often, just one of those things you talk about with a few drinks of an evening at home.

I don't think either set of parents thought we would get as far as we have and FIL admitted that MIL thought it wouldn't ever happen.

Now she is very upset and to be honest the worst bit will be saying that the flights are booked...

Have a question...as we are flying in April would you leave telling them until next month, or would you tell them when you next see them (this weekend ) because we are going to offer BIL the chance to buy one of our cars. Don't know how much notice to give him money wise (it was mentioned last year).

Tbh, I am bricking it at the thought of telling them.
Golly, thats quite soon if your going in April! I'd just tell them this weekend You'll feel so much better once its in the open in anycase and I always think that its best to strike while the irons hot, so in your heart you know you have the tickets booked and you aren't keeping anything from them by not telling them this time you see them when you had news. Bite the bullet! Good luck and let us know how you got on.

By the way, where are you going? (and is April the final move or just the validation)

Catherine
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Catherine...

Yeah, I think you are right...telling them this weekend is for the best as we won't see them properly after that for a month. Feel very responsible for any unhappiness they feel, but have been honest and upfront from day 1 as a friend pointed out to me today.

We are using it as a test time to see how we feel about Aus...we are booked to fly back in September but for £50 each we can alter the return date to up to a year from issue. Ideally the house will sell before Sept (or better, April,lol), we will fly back if need be to tie up loose ends. OH will get his licence and we will both do temp work, whatever to get some money in. Really, we are in a fortunate position in that we can be flexible (have interest only mortgage presently) but long term we would either have to rent our place here or stay here until it has sold (we have to be out properly to live by Sept 09.)

We are going to be living by the words "playing it by ear" this year

We'll be landing in Adelaide.

You are off to Brissy then, when are you flying out?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:43 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
How lovely - for them to realise that and be able to send it to you is a great thing, you are very lucky. I wonder if I were to email that to my Mum what she would think???!

We got our visa's granted in Dec 06 (I cannot believe we are still here!) and told everyone as soon as we got it, also telling them don't worry we won't move until 2009 and had planned to have a baby before we go! Big mistake, apart from the fact parents are distraught any, we then brought move forward which made things worse (and scrapped the baby idea - thoguht we have an Aussie one instead!). Tip: don't tell anyone definate dates as there is every possibility these may change! It was like telling them all over again!

I spoke to my mum recently and even after all the explaining about why we were going she still takes it personnally - she said she didnt' understand how the pull of a country can be stronger than family and my sister's main concern was when she was going to see me again. Tip: on this note maybe honesty isn't best - my husband kept mentioning that he had no plans to come back, even for a visit...not a good move! Who know's when you will be back to visit or when family can visit you but it does them good to hear it will happen.

Good luck, be honest, you aren't doing anything bad, there are horrific things going on in the world and you just want to do something that makes you happy, and family will realise that and (eventually I hope!) be happy too!
Many thanks for you reply.... I know I'm extremely lucky to have my parents. They moved to France 5 years ago and were worried about leaving me on my own, I just told them it was their life and go and enjoy it. I'm big enough and ugly enough to get by and if I needed any help they were just at the end of the phone.

Nothing's going to change because we're in Oz, just the time difference.

Where in Brissy are you heading to?
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave, that was a lovely present for your dad to send. It nice to see positives like that. I bet it really touched you.

As the best with your move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.