Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to teach with a GTP in Australia

How to teach with a GTP in Australia

Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Stacehodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to teach with a GTP in Australia

Does anyone know how I can teach in Oz with a GTP qualification? I am a secondary school English teacher and qualified in 2011. Thanks in advance
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to teach with a GTP in Australia

You can't. You need 4 years university training.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Stacehodge is an unknown quantity at this point

Really? I have a degree and QTS and was told by my tutor whilst training that you were able to convert through extra units or something wither here or through a university in Australia??
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:33 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Nope, you can’t! You will need to go back to Uni and do a 4 year degree, they simply do not recognise it. HOWEVER, you can teach in TAFE with is the equivalent of a college. I have a good friend who has found themselves in exactly this position.

Just read that you already have a degree, in which case you will need to do a post grad in teaching. But be aware the cost of doing this as an international student are REALLY high - prob best part of $12,000. You will remain an international student till you have citizenship!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Nope, you can’t! You will need to go back to Uni and do a 4 year degree, they simply do not recognise it. HOWEVER, you can teach in TAFE with is the equivalent of a college. I have a good friend who has found themselves in exactly this position.

Just read that you already have a degree, in which case you will need to do a post grad in teaching. But be aware the cost of doing this as an international student are REALLY high - prob best part of $12,000. You will remain an international student till you have citizenship!
Not an international student until citizenship, permanent residents pay domestic fees. We don't know if OP is in Australia or has a visa already though.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

For TAFE they may want a Cert IV in TAA but you should get RPL.

Sorry OP, you were sold a bum steer there, you'll need the PGCE and that can be costly in Aus depending on your visa.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:05 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not an international student until citizenship, permanent residents pay domestic fees. We don't know if OP is in Australia or has a visa already though.

My friend literally just phoned days ago, as her daughter has just finished year 12, and she was told that she would have to pay international fees, even though they have been here 5.5 years, as they didn't have citizenship. They've had to defer her starting uni till august, as they can sort out the citizenship first!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My friend literally just phoned days ago, as her daughter has just finished year 12, and she was told that she would have to pay international fees, even though they have been here 5.5 years, as they didn't have citizenship. They've had to defer her starting uni till august, as they can sort out the citizenship first!
Well it depends whether she has permanent residency or not, you haven't said although I assume she has if she is organising citizenship later this year.

So as a permanent resident, she pays domestic fees. What she cannot do until she is a citizen, is gets the HECS funding / loan or whatever it is.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:10 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

If she's a permanent resident, she'll pay domestic fees, upfront, direct to the Uni.

If she's a citizen, she can (generally) HECS the fee so won't pay upfront.

If she's a temporary resident, she'll pay international student fees, upfront, direct to the uni.

Either your friend is confused or the person she spoke to on the phone misunderstood.

All Australian students at UWA are required to pay tuition fees for their programs of study.

However, the Federal Government subsidises tuition fees for the majority of Australian students.

Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa-holders can pay the rest of the fee, also known as the student contribution, by:

deferring the whole payment through a HECS-HELP loan
making a partial payment to UWA and deferring the balance through a HECS-HELP loan
For New Zealand citizens and other permanent residents of Australia, the contribution must be paid in full, directly to the University.

Undergraduate fees in WA

Just for reference, the international fees are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more expensive than those listed there:

International Undergraduate Fees in WA

Last edited by Dreamy; Jan 9th 2014 at 9:12 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:48 pm
Living the dream!

Thank you very much for that! Definitely some sort of misunderstanding there!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:57 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
For TAFE they may want a Cert IV in TAA but you should get RPL.

Sorry OP, you were sold a bum steer there, you'll need the PGCE and that can be costly in Aus depending on your visa.

There used to be a 1 years Masters course that could gain qualification to teach in Australia for people with existing degrees offered by the University of SA - probably better value professionally than just re-doing a DipEd, given your existing experience.

Depending on which state you are thinking about going to, you may also find your degree incompatible with teaching standards. NSW have very strict requirements about what you must have studied at undergrad for admission to teaching.

Given the paltry wages teachers earn here, and the ridiculous hoops they have to jump through to get a permanent job, I'm amazed that anybody takes it up frankly.

S
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Sbsb80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I've had the same info back.

They require only for migration purposes 4 years pre service at a university.

You can not complete a course after you have obtain qts as this is not pre service.

I'm really upset that this is the case as I have no other way of migrating. I'm currently working as a senior leader and they have said that experience will not be counted for migration. This is directly from AITSL see link below.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/assessment-for-migration.html

If anyone knows different please can you let me know.

Cheers
Sallyann
Old Jan 12th 2014, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Sbsb80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you able to teach at a TAFE?