Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How soon to work for your self once landed?

How soon to work for your self once landed?

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 3:26 pm
Bionic by birth !

bionic-bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How soon to work for your self once landed?

Hi All, Just watched one of those BBC 'Wanted down Under' programs and it stated that once you have landed in Oz that you are not allowed to become self employed or start you own company for two years ??.
What is the rule for this as we are heading over to the Brisbane /Cold coast in September'ish time on a permanent skilled visa . Ideally wanted to restart my existing company back up within the first couple of months or so...
Am I missing something here ??
Cheers Dave in cold and darkest Blightly ( 4 degs and lowering )
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:12 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How soon to work for your self once landed?

Rubbish. You can do what you want when you arrive here providing you are a PR of course or have the appropriate other temp visa.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:23 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I heard Nadia Sawalha say that as well. But as Centurion says, if you come on a PR Skilled Independent Visa you can do what you like: be a beach bum, be employed, be self-employed.

The only thing to remember: if your skill is a trade, e.g. plumber, electrician etc, you will need your licence before you can run your own business (not a licence to run a business, but a licence to be an electrician etc). Depending how organised you are, it could take a few months to get that. During that time you might want to be employed.

Gina
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember this is an entertainment programme and a lot of the info in it is extremely general or simplified - don't take any of it as gospel. A similar series in the past implied that you could get a skills visa processed in 2 weeks.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:11 pm
Bionic by birth !

bionic-bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that guys....
Some how 'me thinks' that was an incorrect statment as I'm sure I've heard of other ppl starting up small companies more or less striaght away.
Like many peolple have said on the 'Want down under' thread, the program is light enterainment and should be taken with a pinch of salt. Even so ,still nice to see some of the sights and places before we go..
Cheers all...
Dave