Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how old are u when u moving Australia, with/without jobs

how old are u when u moving Australia, with/without jobs

Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:34 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how old are u when u moving Australia, with/without jobs

I was 40 and OH was 45. OH had been headhunted so came here with work set up. I think it is always daunting, whatever your age, especially if you have not lived abroad before.

However, having said that, I think that for those that are a bit 'longer in the tooth' and with a good standard of living at home and/or children it is a bit scarier as some have to take a huge drop in their standard of living and also you have the responsibility of your children's lives to take into consideration.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:38 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cookiemonster
Hi
how old are u when u moving Australia, with/without jobs? Will be easily for you find job when u are getting older and older?
Moved three years ago when I was 33, I had no job but found a 3 month IT contract within 3 months having been out of work for 3 years.

That has since been extended 3 times and been made permanent, this seems to be common (at least amongst my 'foreign' co-workers) ... get a contract, prove you are no fly-by-night and you are staying, get made permanent.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 3:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I was 43 and hub was 39 when we moved over. Both of us had been offered jobs, but they were in a different city to where we settled, so didn't take them. I was offered the first job I applied for but hub was out of work for 8 months. We used up the majority of our savings on living expenses and setting up home and in the end moved to another state for his job.

Like the others have said, it's really dependent on your occupation whether you find work right away or have to retrain/get licenced.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 3:53 am
By the sea

sparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of lightsparkleauz is a glorious beacon of light

We are 36 & 30. My husband is a printer, has a job and we are sponsored by his employer.
I have a part time office job. Admin jobs here are few and far between but for other trades/skilled jobs there is a fair amount of opportunities.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Then how you survive without securing a job? how long u out of job?
From the research that i've done it seems you have to be in Oz to get a job, to work as a hairdresser i need to get my licence 1st.. but as i said i'll take anything until something better comes along. As far as surviving...well i've sold my Salon here in the UK, we're renting out the house, so probably got enough to rent and furnish up a home in Oz and buy a cheap car but i don't know til i get there the true cost and how long we can afford to be out of work.
Australia need skilled people and we're skilled!!
What about you?
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

39 and 40 (17, 10,9,7) Me with job, he found job 1 day after deciding he wanted to go back to work....

I now have NEW job...
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:54 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

I was 49 and my wife was 42 when we moved here in Sept 06. My wife is a nurse and was sponsored by QLD Health.

I had my first interview in the New Year and have worked since then.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:37 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
how old are u when u moving Australia, with/without jobs? Will be easily for you find job when u are getting older and older?
I'm 39 and the other half is 37 - we're going out on a 457 so he'll be employed

Hopefully, I'll be able to get some sort of menial, mind numbing part time job, to help the integration process.

Alternatively, I can do what I do now, and continue working on 'the novel', whilst finding excuses for not having done any housework.

Lynne
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Nathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really nice

I was a youngun came over with the family... I was 16 (not the best age really...) am now 23
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

cookiemonster has a brilliant futurecookiemonster has a brilliant futurecookiemonster has a brilliant futurecookiemonster has a brilliant futurecookiemonster has a brilliant futurecookiemonster has a brilliant future

i think IT jobs not easy to find but can slowly find. housing in Perth is more expensive than Melbourne.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I was 42 with no job when I moved here.
There are so many jobs here it's not funny.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I was 38 and my wife 29 when we moved over in May. Stqrted work straight away after getting a job offer during a holiday in March. Plenty of work around in Perth. It's a major headache recruiting people though.
Old Dec 30th 2007, 1:48 pm
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

I will be 45 & the wife will 47 hopefuly going on a 136.
i'm a painter & the wifes a beautician/shop assistant no jobs will have to suck it & see
Old Dec 30th 2007, 3:51 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Mark will be 41 and i'll be 37 he is carpenter/joiner and I do accounts. no job to go to but will take (virtually) anything at first as long as we can pay the bills.

Jx
Old Dec 30th 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

I am 47 ( nurse ) on a sponsored 457. OH 49 going on my visa. Hes a hard worker, has been all his life, so he will hopefully find something over there? Macdonalds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.