Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How obsessed are you with migration?

How obsessed are you with migration?

Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Talking How obsessed are you with migration?

Okay, I'm curious.

How many hours of the day do you find yourself thinking/planning your migration? How many hours a week on the internet researching, e-mailing and on expats? Does everybody just manage to carry on with everything else as normal, or have you found that the whole thought and practical processes have interefered, or even taken over with your everyday life?

I'll confess all to start you off...

Find it varies from day to day, some days it's just a thought, but other days I find I can spend up to 3 or 4 hours (specially weekends) looking into areas, Schools, weather etc. etc. even though I already have learned an awful lot. Usually find it happens in runs, a few days of obsessive behaviour, then back to reality for a few days.

Job offer in Oz, no full-time job offer here and reluctant to look as I know that I'll need time to organize getting there. Up at 6.30 every morning to check e-mails incase I need to ring anyone/request a phone call there before it reaches 5.00 pm Oz time.

Deciding that I needed to be sure I wasn't loosing the plot, I paid a visit to the Consellor where I work in the UK. Convinced that she would diagnose Obsession compulsion disorder, I went in with my tail between my legs knowing that she'd think I was wicked leaving behind a pregnant daughter and possibly a grown up son (he's not sure if he's coming). I thought she'd encourage me to really think harder and tell me to concentrate on other things in life.

But I was wrong. The lovely lady related to me that her and her husband, complete with 9-month old baby, managed to get themselves on board a freight liner (no passenger cruise here), and spend six weeks with the baby living on board a ship with "the crew", washing terry nappies in the boiler room :scared: and finally arriving in New Zealand with £30 in their pocket! It was the hardest thing she has ever done, but also the most exciting. They later lived in Hong Kong for 15 years before returning to the UK. She is now multi-lingual and an increcibly interesting person as a result of her travels. She said if she could she would do it all again, and that there was not a shadow of a doubt, I was completely sane. I guess after her incredibly brave adventure this is a snitch!! She was also very adamant about how much she loves New Zealand and how much better the Quality of Life is downunder in Australia or NZ. She was quick to point out that the eldest two will probably want to move once they've visited.

So for those who are equally obseessed, pick the right consellor and you'll feel that you are not alone in your insanity.

Meanwhile, here's another excuse to spend time posting and immigration-related diversion from everything else you should be doing.. Go on own up!!

Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:13 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How obsessed are you with migration?

Originally Posted by Seabird
Okay, I'm curious.

How many hours of the day do you find yourself thinking/planning your migration? How many hours a week on the internet researching, e-mailing and on expats? Does everybody just manage to carry on with everything else as normal, or have you found that the whole thought and practical processes have interefered, or even taken over with your everyday life?

Find it varies from day to day, some days it's just a thought, but other days I find I can spend up to 3 or 4 hours (specially weekends) looking into areas, Schools, weather etc. etc. even though I already have learned an awful lot. Usually find it happens in runs, a few days of obsessive behaviour, then back to reality for a few days.

Job offer in Oz, no full-time job offer here and reluctant to look as I know that I'll need time to organize getting there. Up at 6.30 every morning to check e-mails incase I need to ring anyone/request a phone call there before it reaches 5.00 pm Oz time.

Deciding that I needed to be sure I wasn't loosing the plot, I paid a visit to the Consellor where I work in the UK. Convinced that she would diagnose Obsession compulsion disorder, I went in with my tail between my legs knowing that she'd think I was wicked leaving behind a pregnant daughter and possibly a grown up son (he's not sure if he's coming). I thought she'd encourage me to really think harder and tell me to concentrate on other things in life.

But I was wrong. The lovely lady related to me that her and her husband, complete with 9-month old baby, managed to get themselves on board a freight liner (no passenger cruise here), and spend six weeks with the baby living on board a ship with "the crew", washing terry nappies in the boiler room :scared: and finally arriving in New Zealand with £30 in their pocket! It was the hardest thing she has ever done, but also the most exciting. They later lived in Hong Kong for 15 years before returning to the UK. She is now multi-lingual and an increcibly interesting person as a result of her travels. She said if she could she would do it all again, and that there was not a shadow of a doubt, I was completely sane. I guess after her incredibly brave adventure this is a snitch!! She was also very adamant about how much she loves New Zealand and how much better the Quality of Life is downunder in Australia or NZ. She was quick to point out that the eldest two will probably want to move once they've visited.

So for those who are equally obseessed, pick the right consellor and you'll feel that you are not alone in your insanity.

Meanwhile, here's another excuse to spend time posting and immigration-related diversion from everything else you should be doing.. Go on own up!!

Sounds very sad but my house sale is consuming all of my thought at the moment and i hate it.
On the plus side i know roughly where we are going to set up to start with and what school wenger jr`s going to start in.
oh yes and where i`ll be working
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wengerboy
Sounds very sad but my house sale is consuming all of my thought at the moment and i hate it.
On the plus side i know roughly where we are going to set up to start with and what school wenger jr`s going to start in.
oh yes and where i`ll be working
Goo luck with the house sale
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Okay, I'm curious.

24/7, this is my families future!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:16 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Goo luck with the house sale
cheers
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Loved your honesty.
Been there done that got the tee shirt LOL.
its all I think about, have had 2 reccies to oz, bought the guide books, relocation books,done the research, friends waiting for me in OZ, just can't accept that it might never happen. The only person not encouraging us to go are my parents- surprise surprise.
I won't change my car, buy any more plants for the garden, change jobs, book a European holiday for next year, commit myself to anything for next year, talk about college courses with daughter, because we might be going to OZ .
...even if the work and visas don't happen this year I'll still be waiting until hubby hits 55, if the retirement visa still exists we will consider that.
Forever hopeful
helinuk
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by helinuk
Loved your honesty.
Been there done that got the tee shirt LOL.
its all I think about, have had 2 reccies to oz, bought the guide books, relocation books,done the research, friends waiting for me in OZ, just can't accept that it might never happen. The only person not encouraging us to go are my parents- surprise surprise.
I won't change my car, buy any more plants for the garden, change jobs, book a European holiday for next year, commit myself to anything for next year, talk about college courses with daughter, because we might be going to OZ .
...even if the work and visas don't happen this year I'll still be waiting until hubby hits 55, if the retirement visa still exists we will consider that.
Forever hopeful
helinuk
In the same boat. Whole of life on hold. Won't take on any even mid-term commitments, very usettling time for all.. But you'll get there!!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

In the same boat. Whole of life on hold. Won't take on any even mid-term commitments, very usettling time for all.. But you'll get there!!
So will you...and probably way before me!
BE and Britvics keep me sane - knowing I can chat to like minded people
good luck everyone.