Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Power points in bathrooms

Power points in bathrooms

Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:08 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Power points in bathrooms

While browsing houses on the net I can't help notice the amount of TV's and radios people have plugged in next to the bath, for a country that's so strict about electrical work this amazes me as it's very dangerous, am i missing something
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:12 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Power points in bathrooms

Originally Posted by fraser
While browsing houses on the net I can't help notice the amount of TV's and radios people have plugged in next to the bath, for a country that's so strict about electrical work this amazes me as it's very dangerous, am i missing something
We are currently building, and the electric board wouldnt let us put any plugs anywhere near the bath, there is a specific distance from all water that these points can be sited, so there are strong and stringent regulations.

p.s West Ham are only back for a season.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:19 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
We are currently building, and the electric board wouldnt let us put any plugs anywhere near the bath, there is a specific distance from all water that these points can be sited, so there are strong and stringent regulations.

p.s West Ham are only back for a season.

They must have changed I've seen portable tv's perched on the end of a bath :scared:

PS. we'll see
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fraser
They must have changed I've seen portable tv's perched on the end of a bath :scared:

PS. we'll see
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Good grief!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:32 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I've noticed that they tend to use hairdryers in the bathroom, like in the US.

:scared:
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:38 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bridiej
I've noticed that they tend to use hairdryers in the bathroom, like in the US.

You are probably viewing pictures of older houses, you wont find a plug socket in a new house bathroom for love nor money.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The powerpoints in the bathroom here are right next to the basin; in the last place there was one next to the shower, just outside the curtain!
The lightswitches here in bathrooms are not the cord type either - just ordinary. The mixture of water and electricity here doesn;t seem to bother anyone, though I still find it unnerving!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
I've noticed that they tend to use hairdryers in the bathroom,
Yes, I notice that every flippin morning!!! Usually when I'm bursting to go

JTL

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

You are probably viewing pictures of older houses, you wont find a plug socket in a new house bathroom for love nor money.

That's good then, the mere thought frightens the life out of me!!!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:51 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

We have plug sockets in our shower room (en suite) Double socket, right above our wash basin,kids have separate shower & bath,again sockets by the wash basin,the ledge is wide/long enough to sit a tv on,which goes along & covers one end of the bath

Our house is brand new!

Donna.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:02 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The powerpoints in the bathroom here are right next to the basin; in the last place there was one next to the shower, just outside the curtain!
The lightswitches here in bathrooms are not the cord type either - just ordinary. The mixture of water and electricity here doesn;t seem to bother anyone, though I still find it unnerving!
That blew my mind a bit when we first got there, maybe it adds to the fun getting the occasional electrical shock.

M

Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

We're in a 2 year old house and have power points in main bathroom and en-suite and also in downstairs loo! Very useful for drying your hair...
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Yet you would all have had power points within inches of your kitchen sink (how dangerous!) in the UK, and not batted an eyelid.
Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:33 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by nickyc
Yet you would all have had power points within inches of your kitchen sink (how dangerous!) in the UK, and not batted an eyelid.
That is a point, I think my fear when I first got to see an Australian bathroom was the "build up" of stream aspect buggering the electtics closely followed by visions of my other half pluging in my hairdryer and chucking it into the bath I was in.

In saying that, the first thing my hubby did on our return to the UK was complain there was no plug in the bathroom to put his shaver in. What you get used to.

M

Old Jun 11th 2005, 9:33 am
Karma earned, not whored

We are currently building (at roof stage) so you aren't going to get more current than that, we werent allowed to place any power points within 1.8 metres of anything where water is involved. (taps, sinks baths and showers) So when you consider any average sized bathroom, that counts out most areas of that room, as those things are all spread out round that room. We left a new house in England, all three bathrooms and an en-suites had shaver plug sockets in there, surely there is no difference. Its as easy to drop a shaver in a sink as a hairdryer. (if you are daft enough to shave or dry your hair within range of something full of water that is.)

Last edited by CadburysFingers; Jun 11th 2005 at 9:38 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.