Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How nasty are whitetails?

How nasty are whitetails?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default How nasty are whitetails?

I'd google it but as I hate spiders I'm terrified what might come up.

We've had a few at the house with a 20 month old running around. How nasty are they if you were to get bitten?

Actually, same with a redback. What would happen. Please accept my apologies for not looking it up but it is likely to bring up pictures!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How nasty are whitetails?

Originally Posted by Kingseat

We've had a few at the house with a 20 month old running around. How nasty are they if you were to get bitten?

Actually, same with a redback. What would happen. Please accept my apologies for not looking it up but it is likely to bring up pictures!
With a 20mth old I wouldn't take chances with either. But I'd I rather my chances with a Redback
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Kill em....
Can get a nasty ulcer if bitten
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Might be time to get Spider Man out and spray the house.I have a number if you want it.He does ours every year.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kingseat

Get your place sprayed by one of the pest companies, only about $200 bucks. Will kill everything that is there and will protect the place for about a year. If you are renting then the owners should pay for it.

I have only seen about 6 whitetails in my 10 years in Perth (suburbs) and always by the washing line.....shake your towels out!!! I have had my fair share of redbacks and the best thing for them is Mortein or a shoe. They are actually quite shy!

I moved over with a 7 month old baby and have had no problems, as long as you follow a few basic precautions you'll be be fine.

If you or your child get bitten just call your local GP (or the Health Direct line) and they will be able to advise.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Ok Wendy / Kingseat, be brave! If you want to look at this site http://australianmuseum.net.au/White-tailed-Spider, there are a few pictures on the right side of the screen, so if you click on the link you can CTRL + to make the text on screen bigger, which hopefully might hide the offending pix But in case you're not brave enough, here's some of what it says:

"Living with us
Management

White-tailed Spiders around your house can be controlled by catching and removing any that you see and by clearing away the webs of the house spiders upon which they feed.
Danger to humans and first aid

White-tailed Spider bites can cause initial burning pain followed by swelling and itchiness at the bitten area. Occasionally, weals, blistering or local ulceration have been reported - conditions known medically as necrotising arachnidism. As well as the spider's venom, minor bacterial infection of the wound may be a contributory factor in such cases.

A debate continues about the involvement of White-tailed Spider bite in cases of severe ulcerative skin lesions seen in patients diagnosed as probable spider bite victims. Typically, in such cases no direct evidence of spider bite is available. Sensational media reporting of supposed cases of severe "necrotising arachnidism" has given the White-tailed Spider a bad reputation. However, a recent study has monitored the medical outcomes of over 100 verified White-tailed Spider bites and found not a single case of ulceration (confirming the results of an earlier study). The available evidence suggests that skin ulceration is not a common outcome of White-tailed Spider bite."

Or do like bloo says and get it sprayed, mate!

cheers
shears
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Doh

Last edited by rockpeblar; Feb 23rd 2010 at 3:09 pm. Reason: duplicate post
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We're up in the Perth hills and have been in the same rental for 2.5 years. Regularly find red backs around the place and a few white tails. Have never sprayed as we don't fancy the nasty chemicals around the kids. However we are always on the lookout for webs and kill any redbacks or other spiders we find.
One spider that I've come across is a mouse spider which was very agressive but thankfully we've only had the one. We've also had a few small scorpions but they're not fatal.
We noticed a lot of small birds like to forage around the gutters and fascias looking for spiders and so nature helps to control the numbers as well.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

White Tails are much nastier than Red backs, as they hunt other spiders they are much more aggressive and will bite whatever they come in contact with. My Grandmother was bitten buy a WhiteTail Spider on her face and was hospitalised and very ill.
We have seen them in our house in Adelaide but haven't been bitten by one before, one did chase my cat though! You just have to make sure you shake out anything you leave on the floor, they love hiding in washing piles and on curtains. I hate spiders but as my husband and I are both asthmatic and allergy sufferers we can't use chemical sprays so we just make sure we keep the house clean and tidy and kill any nasty spiders we find.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I've actually been bitten by a white tail spider and to be honest not much came of it. It was painful, short term and some minor swelling, but none of the reactions you hear about ulcers and bits of you dropping off.

I was also recently stung by paper wasps and the pain and and the resultant swelling was MUCH worse... go figure.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

We are in Queensland, there are lots of redbacks around. Occasionally I hear of people getting bitten but mostly they just live wherever they live. At school most children are given "deadly creatures" talks and you teach them not to touch spiders, snakes etc

I think the risk of falling and hitting their head, pulling something onto them, getting run over, drowning etc - are more concerns for me.

Its just one of the many other things that can hurt your child. Dont worry!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EvannTel
With a 20mth old I wouldn't take chances with either. But I'd I rather my chances with a Redback
you're kidding right?

A red back could kill a child that age ...

My wife has been bitten by a white tail spider in the house and it only stung a bit ... that was all. We called the emergency poisons hotline and they said put some ice on it. The rotting flesh rumour re white tails is an urban myth AFAIK.

White tails do travel around more than red backs though ... i once found one in my childs bed under the blanket.

Last edited by copa; Feb 23rd 2010 at 9:38 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:33 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Might be time to get Spider Man out and spray the house.I have a number if you want it.He does ours every year.
- you have Spider Man's phone number? Pass it on then

Seriously, when we first moved into this shitty little house of ours, we had to get all the insect/arachnid busting guys in, from top to bottom. We found dead red backs, cockroaches, huntsmen etc. Even then, they were still crawling outa the woodwork a coupla weeks after

But all is safe and well and not bites to date!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:47 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
- you have Spider Man's phone number? Pass it on then
and if anyone has wonder woman's phone number, please send that my way.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
and if anyone has wonder woman's phone number, please send that my way.
Just hit the PM button under my name, got to be the fastest way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.