Default Re: How nasty are whitetails?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Just hit the PM button under my name, got to be the fastest way
You're mates with Wonderwoman? Wow!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:44 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Never mind the whitetails, redbacks, snakes or crocs. I forgot to put on mossie spray when sitting out last night and the little barstewards have feasted on me. At least 20 bites. It's that tool next door with his bloody pond!
On the plus side , I must taste nice though.....
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:48 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Never mind the whitetails, redbacks, snakes or crocs. I forgot to put on mossie spray when sitting out last night and the little barstewards have feasted on me. At least 20 bites. It's that tool next door with his bloody pond!
On the plus side , I must taste nice though.....
Nivea, Hai Karate and Coles value shower gel?

Yeah, lovely
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Nivea, Hai Karate and Coles value shower gel?

Yeah, lovely
Only the finest metrosexual cosmetics and toiletries are used on my youthful features. My exercise regime is taken care of by evading the bevy of female admirers that inevitably gather when I set foot outside the sanctuary of my home!
How George Clooney and I have laughed at this understandable situation.....
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:57 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Only the finest metrosexual cosmetics and toiletries are used on my youthful features. My exercise regime is taken care of by evading the bevy of female admirers that inevitably gather when I set foot outside the sanctuary of my home!
How George Clooney and I have laughed at this understandable situation.....
Must be the Hai Karate! - the over 60's love it
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:00 am
Account Closed

Must be the Hai Karate! - the over 60's love it
None of them can run that fast thankfully. I am currently using JOOP I got as a pressy! Never heard of Hai Karate?? Must be a weegie thing fae the Barras!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:02 am

None of them can run that fast thankfully. I am currently using JOOP I got as a pressy! Never heard of Hai Karate?? Must be a weegie thing fae the Barras!
aye right

Think Old Spice, Brut, Denim....yer on the right track
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Don't worry about white tails, the stories of bad ulcerations etc are an urban myth, told all over the world where these spiders can be found. Here In Australia research has been done on the venom of this species and there was no evidence/venom components that can cause these necrotic ulcerations.
In a prospective study here in oz of 130 CONFIRMED white tail spider bites, there was no case of necrotic ulcers, White 1998, Isbister 2003

There are 3 patterns to bites by these spiders, pain only, pain and a red mark lasting 24hrs and persistant red mark and associated itchiness pain or lump.

Red backs can be more of a concern, especially in certain parts of oz where populations can be dense, just treat you house on a regular basis and keep things tidy.

Like most people are saying you should get your house professionally sprayed occasionally and or buy the insect repellent bombs which you can do yourself, these are very affective, just follow the instructions.

Australia has an amazing diversity of wildlife, some of it can be dangerous but confrontations are rare and severe envenomations with fatal outcomes a far and few between, thanks to modern health care facilities and superb antivenoms.

Hope this puts you at ease

John
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:09 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I've ever come across a white tail yet.

Redbacks are one of the few things I will kill; other spiders I will catch and release.

Cockroaches, of course, I will also kill. I find the spray cans are really good. Not the spray so much as the bottom rim of the can. Smash that down on a cockroach and you will cut it in half.

I am unaffected by mossies (which is handy living in QLD).

What I don't like is ants. For Poms yet to arrive, you may not believe just how much pain can be inflicted (and how long it lasts) from an ant that bites you.

Only thing worse (that has happened to me) is a bluebottle sting. That is like being bitten by 100 ants all at once. Fortunately I have yet to find a bluebottle in the house.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:38 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Not sure I've ever come across a white tail yet.

Redbacks are one of the few things I will kill; other spiders I will catch and release.

Cockroaches, of course, I will also kill. I find the spray cans are really good. Not the spray so much as the bottom rim of the can. Smash that down on a cockroach and you will cut it in half.

I am unaffected by mossies (which is handy living in QLD).

What I don't like is ants. For Poms yet to arrive, you may not believe just how much pain can be inflicted (and how long it lasts) from an ant that bites you.

Only thing worse (that has happened to me) is a bluebottle sting. That is like being bitten by 100 ants all at once. Fortunately I have yet to find a bluebottle in the house.
The first stories I heard of white tails was that if one bit you , you and all your friends and family would die instantly(even those you have not seen in a while). After scant research I found this was not the case.

Trick is if it looks like it will hurt it probably will. But as long as you are not trapped in the far far far bush its not gonna kill you.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:41 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
One spider that I've come across is a mouse spider which was very agressive but thankfully we've only had the one.
I googled that, bugger the wife would be screaming the house down if that thing got in???
Old Feb 24th 2010, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Zambia
I googled that, bugger the wife would be screaming the house down if that thing got in???
Something I remember reading on the QLD university site was that the blacker the spider, the more dangerous it is, so if you think mouse spider, funnel web and red back - they are all black and all highly venomous.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 5:12 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I apply that general rule - if it is black (or red; or black and red) beware.

Something I remember reading on the QLD university site was that the blacker the spider, the more dangerous it is, so if you think mouse spider, funnel web and red back - they are all black and all highly venomous.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I go by the rule that if it has more than four legs and it's either in my house or attempting to get in my house it gets Morteined damned fast. Couldn't care less what colour it is, it ain't living here.