Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?

Wikiposts

How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:18 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?

Originally Posted by Megalania
If you feel the need to feed, feed the magpies or put out a bird feeder?

It's not really recommended by real conservation groups that you do feed the birds, there is enough natural food here for them here all year round, you are doing the birds no favours, killing them with kindness. I am surprised you recommended this. You will make them reliant on humans over time. Also feed them human food etc fruits shop bought, it can weaken the shell of the young. Our food contains so many pesticides etc Plant native trees, and flowers if you want them feeding in your garden. will also attract the lizards and skinks, frogs etc for the kookaburras

Uk diff - it is hard to find food for some birds over the winter with frozen hard grounds and bare trees, and the declining bird population with many once common birds put on endangered lists. feeding them in winter helps them survive over the winter months.

Our land is full of birds coming in from cockatoos, rosellas, honeyeaters, parrots , kookaburras , drongo's etc , and I never feed them. there is enough natural food here. Just plant native plants to attract them
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:38 pm
ABCDiamond

In QLD, there is another reason to keep your Cat (or Dog) indoors, ... Cane Toads.

"Toads exude a milky white toxin from poison glands behind their eyes. They squeeze this poison onto the surface of their skin when they are under threat. Toads do not spit or squirt the poison as commonly believed, and they don’t bite. Dogs and cats are poisoned when they mouth the toad or sometimes when the toad’s poison gets into their eyes."

"Due to its corrosive and irritant nature, the poison will cause profuse salivation soon after your pet bites the toad. Following this, vomiting often occurs, especially in cats. Cats also show hindquarter weakness and a fixed trance-like stare.

If your dog is poisoned, it will usually suffer from seizures or convulsions. These convulsions are usually fatal unless you seek urgent veterinary attention. The poison can also affect the heart of dogs and cats, causing immediate cardiac arrest."

http://www.pets.telstra.com/Template...s&story_no=279

Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:48 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In QLD, there is another reason to keep your Cat (or Dog) indoors, ... Cane Toads.

"Toads exude a milky white toxin from poison glands behind their eyes. They squeeze this poison onto the surface of their skin when they are under threat. Toads do not spit or squirt the poison as commonly believed, and they don’t bite. Dogs and cats are poisoned when they mouth the toad or sometimes when the toad’s poison gets into their eyes."

"Due to its corrosive and irritant nature, the poison will cause profuse salivation soon after your pet bites the toad. Following this, vomiting often occurs, especially in cats. Cats also show hindquarter weakness and a fixed trance-like stare.

If your dog is poisoned, it will usually suffer from seizures or convulsions. These convulsions are usually fatal unless you seek urgent veterinary attention. The poison can also affect the heart of dogs and cats, causing immediate cardiac arrest."

http://www.pets.telstra.com/Template...s&story_no=279
Quote also From the above link - the quote you seem to have left out
"Toads are a common cause of poisoning in dogs. The toad can poison cats, too but this is not very common".

I can tell you why too; This is because cats usually regurgitate immediately when something disagrees with them. Also the foul taste, spray once they tend to lean quick and touch them again. Dogs are a bit dopey, they will pick it up in their mouths, or even gulp something down without tasting it.

Have millions of cane toads around us , never kill our neighbours cats who let their cats run free unlike us. Their cats don't chase them , they have learnt not to touch them.

lots of cats running around, but not lots of dead cats about. If it was a common thing believe me you'd see some dead puddy cats around our area - we have tons of cane toads about in the nights

If it was common you'd have no ferals too.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 7th 2005 at 2:51 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Smudgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tony

As well as chipping your cat you may consider building a cat run so that when you out & about the cat can still catch some rays but not some critters !

I did it when I arrived & my 2 cats only get to run around free in the garden when we are out in it as well.

All the best

Smudgo
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ceri
Quote also From the above link - the quote you seem to have left out
In case I left anything else out, here is the fuill quote, and i've highlighted the quote I left out

Toads
Toads are a common cause of poisoning in dogs. The toad can poison cats, too but this is not very common.

Toads exude a milky white toxin from poison glands behind their eyes. They squeeze this poison onto the surface of their skin when they are under threat. Toads do not spit or squirt the poison as commonly believed, and they don’t bite. Dogs and cats are poisoned when they mouth the toad or sometimes when the toad’s poison gets into their eyes.

The toad’s poison is also dangerous to humans and deaths have occurred. Some adults have even been affected when they absorbed the poison through cuts in their skin after handling a toad.
In China, they have used toad poison as an expectorant, a heart stimulant and as a diuretic. It has also been used as a remedy for toothache and sinusitis. In Africa and South America, toad venom has been used on the tips of arrows as a poison.

Toads were introduced into Australia in 1935 to control the cane beetle - a disastrous move, as toads have no natural enemies in Australia. Australian Terriers and Fox Terriers also think this was a dumb idea, as they are the breeds most often affected by toad poisoning.

Signs of Toad poisoning
Due to its corrosive and irritant nature, the poison will cause profuse salivation soon after your pet bites the toad. Following this, vomiting often occurs, especially in cats. Cats also show hindquarter weakness and a fixed trance-like stare.

If your dog is poisoned, it will usually suffer from seizures or convulsions. These convulsions are usually fatal unless you seek urgent veterinary attention. The poison can also affect the heart of dogs and cats, causing immediate cardiac arrest.

After it has mouthed a toad, it is vital that you remove all trace of the poison from your pets’ teeth and gums. Using a jet of water from a hose is an effective way of doing this. The water jet should be directed forward out of your pet's mouth, not down into its throat.

Toads are a nocturnal menace. They regularly poison dogs, such as Terriers, which often chase small animals. To prevent the problem, do not allow your dog to go outside unattended at night. Take it out on a lead if the need arises.

Place two or three bells on your dog’s collar. The bells will not affect the toad, but you will learn to recognise the telltale jingling sound the bells make when your dog is ‘suspiciously active’. Immediate investigation when the bells are ringing may save your dog’s life.

If your pet is poisoned
If you suspect a Red Back Spider, a toad or anything else has poisoned your pet, you will have a good chance of saving its life with prompt action.

Make contact with your veterinarian and transport the dog to him or her as quickly and quietly as possible. Keep your pet warm and gently restrained. If it is convulsing, it can damage itself by knocking against objects and it may not recognise you. It may also become quite vicious. Handle an effected animal with extreme caution.

Be on the look out for Red Back Spider and Toads - they are a danger to pets

Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:00 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In case I left anything else out, here is the fuill quote, and i've highlighted the quote I left out
lol!
that's ok now then lol

cheers
Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:30 pm
Badge

We have a cat, she's my little baby at the moment. She's a real cute little thing, have to admit, I like cats. Not all Aussies want a dog in the back of their ute.

The other week, I was awoken in the middle of the night to hear her crying in almost a blood thirsty screech. It was shocking.
I jumped out of bed half expecting her to be having a blue with a possum that had got in - but she was looking out the doors that lead on to the deck - I could not see what it was.

Not sure if it was a fox, a cat, a feral cat, a possum or what.

The other day we were back after dusk - oops and she was not to be seen - normally she is waiting for us by the door. She turned up late and looked like she had been up to no good - sure enough mins later she chundered the lot out on to the floor.

You do have to keep your cats in at night.

Badge

Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:29 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody out there love their cat as much as me, and want to stand up and say "were bringing our cats to OZ, and were gonna turn you all into Cat lovers" [/QUOTE]

Slightly off the subject of the debate over the damage that cats do, I know, but this whole question about whether or not to take our cats is causing me so much heartache. I've been following everyones comments on these threads and there are so many conflicting opinions, but the 'anti-cat' feeling that seems to prevail in Oz is very worrying. I know that ultimately I must make a decision based on what is best for my four cats, not me, but I'm not sure that they would be better off being rehomed.

As far as I am concerned, when I decided to have cats, it meant that I accepted responsibility for ensuring that I provide to them the best quality of life that I can. One of mine is from a rescue centre and have behavioural problems, which requires an especially understanding owner. Yes, I am worried about how they would adjust to Oz, and I know they will find the travel traumatic. But if I can't find loving, sympathetic homes for them in the UK, what do I do? Have them put down just because I can't rehome them?

I know there are no easy answers and there are pros and cons to both. I'm trying to act with my head, not my heart, but they make such a difference to my life and I would miss them so much if they weren't here.

Nicky
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:39 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
I'm trying to act with my head, not my heart, but they make such a difference to my life and I would miss them so much if they weren't here. Nicky
Hi Nicky

I respect your decision, whatever that may be. There's not a right or wrong decision as everyone has their own personal reasons.

But if I felt this strongly, if my pets made this much difference to my life....then I'd take them with me

BTW: Travelling is not as stressful for our pets as you imagine it to be...... so don't worry

Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

hi

Thought i would add my humble opinion, I have 2 cats and love then loads but I think we are going to leave them behind with my sister.

The reason being I worry about the cat haters but they do have a point. One cat does not touch birds or mice but my youngest loves to bring me in a treat.

I still agree that humans are the most destructive.

I would not want to keep them inside all the time as they love being outside.

Im not saying people should not bring pets but I think they should really consider the pros and cons I also fully agree that they shoud be registered and some kind of enforcement on neutering/spaying. I think this should be the case in the UK too. Its so upsetting to hear about abandoned kittens and yet all this is preventable.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:57 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by lawlaw
hi

Thought i would add my humble opinion, I have 2 cats and love then loads but I think we are going to leave them behind with my sister.

The reason being I worry about the cat haters but they do have a point. One cat does not touch birds or mice but my youngest loves to bring me in a treat.

I still agree that humans are the most destructive.

I would not want to keep them inside all the time as they love being outside.

Im not saying people should not bring pets but I think they should really consider the pros and cons I also fully agree that they shoud be registered and some kind of enforcement on neutering/spaying. I think this should be the case in the UK too. Its so upsetting to hear about abandoned kittens and yet all this is preventable.

Good point lawlaw.

You have to look at the whole picture. And as someone said earlier, when moving to Australia, you have to fit in with their wildlife and not expect it the other way round.

If its 'nature' for a cat to kill possums etc, then its also 'nature' for a dog to attack your cat. But as a responsible pet owner, a person has a duty to stop it happening.

I think the moral duty of a cat owner when exporting their pet to australia, is to keep it in to make sure there is no chance of it killing wildlife, get it neutered because to breed from it because you think it will have cute kittens is a human emotion and one that should not be inflicted on your pet.

My friend has a one and a half stone ginger cat (my cat Gordons brother) and always thought he would be too fat to hunt.

Last summer he proudly brought in a grass snake he had caught. She thought it was a one off, until he came in with a frog. Even a fat cat can move remarkably fast when it wants to/has to.

Its impossible to see what your pet is up to 24/7 and unless you can be sure that he/she will not kill local wildlife, then keep it inside.

By providing a rich environment for your cat to live in such as the cat playground, your cat doesnt miss out.

One reason that many of us love Australia is the rich variety of animals and wildlife it has.

Lets not spoil it.

Old Apr 8th 2005, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: Gippsland, Victoria since April '05 and loving it! (ex-Belgium)
Libra76 will become famous soon enough

Just adding my opinion to this interesting thread. (I only read the first page, don't have a lot of time right now)

I am a cat lover through and through. Since I met my husband and after being to Australia a few times, I too sensed the general 'hate' (maybe too strong a word) towards cats because they kill native wildlife. I think that feeling is more or less justified, after you really read into the damage that cats do to the environment. Of course, it is also the irresponsible owners who are to blame.

My husband and I have decided that I can have an indoor cat once we move to Australia, and we'll build one of those mesh outdoor play areas for the cat. I once saw it on telly many years ago, and I've always thought it was a brilliant idea.

I don't think cat owners should not be allowed to bring in their cats to the country. I think they should adjust to the native wildlife and surroundings they choose to go live in. I find it rather 'ignorant' to state that 'your' cat wouldn't harm a native animal, or to put up stats on how many birds or other animals your cat has ever killed in its lifetime. And I hope you are not suggesting that you are going to let your cat freely go outdoors at night like it did in the UK (or wherever you live, sorry I forgot)?? I find it a bit rude to expect Australians to adjust to these imported species just because they are so common and native in Europe.

Fact is, cats don't belong among Australia's native wildlife, like many other invaders, and it is up to the owners to adjust to that situation.

This is just my opinion, no malice intended.

Cheers
Els
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:03 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
I'm trying to act with my head, not my heart, but they make such a difference to my life and I would miss them so much if they weren't here. Nicky

[/QUOTE]

Slightly off the subject of the debate over the damage that cats do, I know, but this whole question about whether or not to take our cats is causing me so much heartache. I've been following everyones comments on these threads and there are so many conflicting opinions, but the 'anti-cat' feeling that seems to prevail in Oz is very worrying. I know that ultimately I must make a decision based on what is best for my four cats, not me, but I'm not sure that they would be better off being rehomed.

As far as I am concerned, when I decided to have cats, it meant that I accepted responsibility for ensuring that I provide to them the best quality of life that I can. One of mine is from a rescue centre and have behavioural problems, which requires an especially understanding owner. Yes, I am worried about how they would adjust to Oz, and I know they will find the travel traumatic. But if I can't find loving, sympathetic homes for them in the UK, what do I do? Have them put down just because I can't rehome them?

I know there are no easy answers and there are pros and cons to both. I'm trying to act with my head, not my heart, but they make such a difference to my life and I would miss them so much if they weren't here.

Nicky[/QUOTE]
.................................................. .................................................

Hi,

http://www.catnip.com.au/photos.htm ( cat runs/enclosures)

http://www.catenclosures.net/products-enclosures1.html

I don't have one, but will be building one - still sorting out our land with landscaping and stuff - mine are kept indoors.

I have a 12 year old cat, who loved to be outside - he adapted to indoor life. They do. They may yell the place down in the first few weeks asking to go out, but they soon get to realise they can't and they accept it.

The above are some companies who supply cat runs if you want to let them outside, so no need for them to be kept in if you don't want, but want to contain them for wildlife and their own safety sake ( just do a google and you'll find some more). You could make one yourself though too. The cats like them, it's as good as letting them run free.They can be as elaborate as you want.

Regarding cat haters here. It's being blown out of proportion a bit, like most things get on forums . There as some people here who dislike cats as in the Uk, but for different reasons. It is by no means a nation of cat haters here, there are some but not all, and in my opinion( and experience of living here with cats for years) some people are worrying unnecessarily regarding their cats welfare- listening to scare stories on the net.
There are thousand upon thousand of people who own cats here, it is one of top pets in pet ownership figures.

The common brushtail possums will have a good go at a cat if the cat is dopey enough to attack a possum. The adults are too big for cats to hunt ( they are around the same size as a cat), the babies sit on the mum's back until they are bigger and independent. It's mostly dogs that are dangerous to them. Same with the Wallaby too. Dogs are the threat to these two creatures among countless of other animals including the Koalas who cross the backyards where there is a dog in the garden ( and including the lizards too).

so lets not say it's all cats, Pet pooches do more than their fair share of damage too ( I'm not a dog hater, I have owned dogs too. I dont favour one over the other)

A cat usually attacks smaller prey, small birds, lizards etc. A cat does not normally hunt something which is too big for itself, at which it would risk injury to itself.

One test they have done on the real ferals recently have shown in their bellies that they live mostly live on lizards.

the extinction rate is more to due with past hunting, loss of habitat and cars, plus then you have the introduced animal - the Asian mongrel dog ( it's the same one which is in Thailand and throughout most of SEA , they have the exact DNA) , or the Dingo to Aussies, who accounts for some of this

" In urban areas, deaths caused by dogs and cars are the greatest threats to the brushtail possum. " http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_con...htail_possums/

I have been told by a mate of mine his cat was attacked ( ripped by it's claws) by one years ago. My own two , one was scared of the possums we got on the balcony , the other was curious , the possum used to look for him and they'd sit and watch each other through the glass . They have long claws, and will give a cat a good go. I wouldn't pick a wild one up without a towel/blanket over it myself either.

Has any expats here ever had a problem with "cat haters" in their neighbourhoods with their own cats??
Ask the people who own cats here in Aus. Then ask the same about living in the UK. There are people in the Uk who have had problems with cat haters too in their neighbourhoods.

Me - no real probs over the years here in Aus ( so there's one). And I did used to leave my cats out only in the day - never at nights though . (I never even used to leave cats out in the Uk at night) when I wasn't backing onto to a reserve/bushland - it's just our location our home is at now. I neither want the wildlife to be harmed or my cats , so they are now kept inside at all times, because of the location of our home.

It's being blown out of proportion what it is like here regarding domesticated
cats, and cat haters.It is not a nation of cat haters - far from it , some people hate them others love them. People are confusing the real
feral problem in some areas with the subject of the domesticated cats here.

Don't worry about it. You'll see what I mean when you get to Aus with maybe your cats in tow.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 10th 2005 at 6:06 pm.