Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?

How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:13 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?

More effects of cat on native wildlife, including competition with natives for food:

http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/...ats/effect.htm
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:43 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wombat42
Remember local councils in OZ place strict controls on cats. They all have to be registered and have a microchip inserted in them with the name and address of their owner. If not the cats are taken away and put down.
what local councils? not here with most councils - they do not need to be registered. And not with my council "pine rivers" which is one of the Brisbane surrounding councils
And they do not put pet cats down here , they take them into the shelters, where you pay to get them back out. Only if they are not claimed within a cetain time do they put them down

Councils and areas in Australia differ in Rules, so no not local councils in Aus have this rule.

I suggest to anyone who wants the rules for their council area to check out the relevant authorities for the rules on pet ownership - which is their own council ( or look for the councils webpage and see if they have the rules on there - my council has) , and not a forum
what a load of "scaremongering" I see on here sometimes

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 7th 2005 at 4:49 am.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:51 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ceri
what local councils? not here with most councils - they do not need to be registered. And not with my council "pine rivers" which is one of the Brisbane surrounding councils
And they do not put pet cats down here , they take them into the shelters, where you pay to get them back out. Only if they are not claimed do they put them down

Councils and areas in Australia differ in Rules, so no not local councils in Aus have this rule.

I suggest to anyone who wants the rules for their council area to check out the relevant authorities for the rules on pet ownership - which is their own council.

No tagging here either but you are only allowed 2 cats, Lots of ferrels here aswell which do cause a problem.

I do have a cat but he is an Aussie cat and was here before I was (came with the business) He doesn't go off the property but at the same time he doesn't enter the building either, he just hangs out in the garden. He does kill mice, which personally I see as being a good thing, he has had his eye on the resident rat for some time so we are hoping he gets that soon. He also eats cockroaches which is another bonus as far as I am concerned.
He has killed a couple of birds since we have been here which I'd rather him not do but I cant tell him off as he will then not understand what he can and cant kill.

If he went off the property and was likely to be able to get important wildlife thenthings would be different but I am more that happy for him to kill the mice, rats and cockroaches.

Kala
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:01 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wombat42
You Poms come over here and want to kill off all the environmentaly friendly [/url]
Didn't you say a couple of weeks ago on here you have a cat, or you had a cat ??

I'll find your post for you if you want

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh here it is :

"http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289978&highlight=cat

"Your cat may not be able to remember your face but it will remember your scent or smell. After l came back from a long holiday when by cat first saw me it looked affraid and did'nt recognise me, but then it slowly walked up to me a sniffed my leg and it then remembered my scent and then remembered who l was and became friendly again"

Never mind "Poms" - it's "wombats" lol

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 7th 2005 at 5:08 am.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:08 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
No tagging here either but you are only allowed 2 cats, Lots of ferrels here aswell which do cause a problem.

I do have a cat but he is an Aussie cat and was here before I was (came with the business) He doesn't go off the property but at the same time he doesn't enter the building either, he just hangs out in the garden. He does kill mice, which personally I see as being a good thing, he has had his eye on the resident rat for some time so we are hoping he gets that soon. He also eats cockroaches which is another bonus as far as I am concerned.
He has killed a couple of birds since we have been here which I'd rather him not do but I cant tell him off as he will then not understand what he can and cant kill.

If he went off the property and was likely to be able to get important wildlife thenthings would be different but I am more that happy for him to kill the mice, rats and cockroaches.

Kala
have you noticed any, skinks or Gecko,s around.?? probably not! your cats wiped them out. They are the first to suffer when cats are around, so we pay for it with increased mozzie,s........ ....................... mm
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

It may have been mentioned in another thread, but Redlands council (South east of Brisbane) is thinking about introducing rules/registration for cats the same as dogs. And no doubt charging a registration fee too.

It will happen, simply because all dog owners feel hard done by that they have to pay up and register while cat owners don't, so they want it. And most non cat owners will go for it as well.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Kala
Hi,

My cats are kept indoors, as our new home is next to a reserve full of wildlife. They were always allowed out before moving next to the bush (but get kept in at night) . They have adapted quite well to being indoor cats over the past year and half - one is 12 years old, and was so called stuck in his ways

cheers
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It may have been mentioned in another thread, but Redlands council (South east of Brisbane) is thinking about introducing rules/registration for cats the same as dogs. And no doubt charging a registration fee too.

It will happen, simply because all dog owners feel hard done by that they have to pay up and register while cat owners don't, so they want it. And most non cat owners will go for it as well.

Cheers,
JTL
Our council is Pine.

Also seems there is going to be restrictions for dog ownership for the people who are livinig right next ( on top of)to koala habitat in the Pine shire and Redlands council areas , as they kill and injure too many koalas.

They are thinking of bringing something in ,like no ownership or you must take you dog inside the house during the night, somethig like that - it's still just talk at the moment, and no rules have been drafted up yet that I know of.

Cheers:0
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:52 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mr mover
have you noticed any, skinks or Gecko,s around.?? probably not! your cats wiped them out. They are the first to suffer when cats are around, so we pay for it with increased mozzie,s........ ....................... mm
You might not believe me but yes we do have lizards here, not lots but a few, infact I have seen more in my garden than I have anywhere else in Geraldton I dont know what type of lizard thay are tho. I live right on the beach so we dont have a huge problem with Mozzies but do have pleanty of sandflies which are either eating me or being eaten by the 20 golden orbs we have living in their webs in the garden.

I run a backpackers and we have a Thai resturaint in the same buildng so with 2 commercial kitchens so close to each other we should be overrun with mice, cockies and rats, the cat is doing a pretty good job of keeping the numbers down.

Also he was born a ferrel cat on the beach (there are loads living on the beach) and wandered in here about 5 years ago and stayed so in reality being spoilt rotten here by the backpackers and keeping the mouse population down is probably better for the enviroment then what he would have been had he stayed on the beach.

Dont get me wrong cats do cause huge problems but I am not goind to have an animal put down, I didn't buy him he was already here and I personally think he is not a nad cat as far as cats go. I also regually donate money to the local vets to get other cats in the area done so they cannot go on the rampage making more cats.

Kala
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:37 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

he is not a nad cat

Kala

So he doesn't have his fur waxed?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:41 am
ABCDiamond

Didn't you say a couple of weeks ago on here you have a cat, or you had a cat ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh here it is :

"Your cat may not be able to remember your face but it will remember your scent or smell. After l came back from a long holiday when by cat first saw me it looked affraid and did'nt recognise me, but then it slowly walked up to me a sniffed my leg and it then remembered my scent and then remembered who l was and became friendly again"

Maybe wombat42's council do the registration & microchip thingy ?

Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:43 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by jayr
So he doesn't have his fur waxed?

Agh ya know what I meant BAD cat.

Don't think he will be into getting a waxing

Kala
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:58 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Cheers,
JTL[/QUOTE]

And also because it represents yet another way for the councils to raise even more revenue.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:22 am
wombat42

oh here it is :

You caught me out l did'nt think anyone would remember my old posts,
Yes l did own a cat but not anymore. The local council did require all cats to be microchiped with the name and address of the owner, but l think only same councils require this.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 7th 2005 at 7:27 am.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 7:36 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Can't see the point of keeping a cat - unless you are expecting mice or rats.

If you feel the need to feed, feed the magpies or put out a bird feeder?

CSIRO has developed a means, auto-sterilization I think, to rid Australia of cats. Haven't introduced it because it might affect cats world wide.

Last edited by Megalania; Apr 7th 2005 at 7:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.