Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?

Wikiposts

How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?

Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:43 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?

Originally Posted by Ceri
Hi,

My cats are kept indoors, as our new home is next to a reserve full of wildlife. They were always allowed out before moving next to the bush (but get kept in at night) . They have adapted quite well to being indoor cats over the past year and half - one is 12 years old, and was so called stuck in his ways

cheers
Thanks for sharing as we will probably keep ours in - dont think it will be too big a problem.!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:20 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I thought we had made our decision on our cats. The eldest is a loner and we have a home lined up for her but the other two were coming with us. But I have read a few threads recently that are giving me second thoughts. The fat old ginger will probably still come as she couldn't catch a snail and doesn't go out much anyway. But the 3 year old catches a couple of birds a week, even with 2 very large very noisy bells around her neck so I am reconsidering taking her now. I understand the anti-cat sentiment on here but it would have been great to have her out there as her daft antics were one of the few things that made me smile in the months after my brother died. I am bound to need some of that when we go through the odd low patch after we arrive.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:43 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by worzel
I thought we had made our decision on our cats. The eldest is a loner and we have a home lined up for her but the other two were coming with us. But I have read a few threads recently that are giving me second thoughts. The fat old ginger will probably still come as she couldn't catch a snail and doesn't go out much anyway. But the 3 year old catches a couple of birds a week, even with 2 very large very noisy bells around her neck so I am reconsidering taking her now. I understand the anti-cat sentiment on here but it would have been great to have her out there as her daft antics were one of the few things that made me smile in the months after my brother died. I am bound to need some of that when we go through the odd low patch after we arrive.
There are as many people who love cats here in Aus as there are in UK so please don't let these tales put you off. They're more of a precautionary tale i.e be aware of all the pro's and cons ......rather than to put anyone off.

In essence, what everyone is saying is to be aware of what's involved when bringing pets to Aus. As long as this is thought out then you/your puddy cats should be OK

Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:58 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by worzel
Bring your cats if you think they will be a comfort for you, there are already hundreds of thousands of cats in OZ, another two won't make any difference. Perhaps keep them indoors at night when they do the most damage, and still keep the bells on even though they still catch some birds it may prevent them from catching more. Half the homes in OZ have cats, so your not going to be in the minority.

Last edited by aussie73; Apr 6th 2005 at 10:03 pm.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
There are as many people who love cats here in Aus as there are in UK so please don't let these tales put you off. They're more of a precautionary tale i.e be aware of all the pro's and cons ......rather than to put anyone off.

In essence, what everyone is saying is to be aware of what's involved when bringing pets to Aus. As long as this is thought out then you/your puddy cats should be OK

Thanks for this, and all the posts to my thread. I have taken all comments on board, and I agree on most things. What I have learnt from you guys is that I will need to be a responsible Cat Owner. I will do the Tagging/Microchip thing (i think we do anyway as part of biring them over), and I always keep him in at night. I think its important that we owners respect the land were moving to, so im happy with that. I guess i wanted to be re-assured he wouldnt come to harm.

As for the environment, ok, i accept some of the comments, but i hate to sound cheesy, but what did they say in Jurassic Park?...."Life finds a Way" Sorry, but i guess it means Auz wildlife will adapt over time, and us owners also need to help this rather than hinder. I guess all i ask in reply is that non cat owners at least respect responsible cat owners. Thats it, im happy, JIgsaw is Happy, and hes too fat to catch anything anyway, so even your Sloth's would be safe..he does like eating spiders though which im extactic about
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:18 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyclark
..he does like eating spiders though which im extactic about
Right...... so that's one cat we don't have to worry about then...... :scared:
Ever heard of redbacks?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:32 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Thanks for this, and all the posts to my thread. I have taken all comments on board, and I agree on most things. What I have learnt from you guys is that I will need to be a responsible Cat Owner. I will do the Tagging/Microchip thing (i think we do anyway as part of biring them over), and I always keep him in at night. I think its important that we owners respect the land were moving to, so im happy with that. I guess i wanted to be re-assured he wouldnt come to harm.

As for the environment, ok, i accept some of the comments, but i hate to sound cheesy, but what did they say in Jurassic Park?...."Life finds a Way" Sorry, but i guess it means Auz wildlife will adapt over time, and us owners also need to help this rather than hinder. I guess all i ask in reply is that non cat owners at least respect responsible cat owners. Thats it, im happy, JIgsaw is Happy, and hes too fat to catch anything anyway, so even your Sloth's would be safe..he does like eating spiders though which im extactic about
That's a great post and exactly what people are saying. A responsible pet owner. And Jigsaw's a beautiful cat. I can see why you lov him

BTW: Why do you have a dog for your avatar? Why not a piccie of Jigsaw? And where did you get his name?It's funny [is it cos he fits into your life?]

Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Seems cats are not loved in parts of the USA either.......

38 dead cats found in fridges

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-23109,00.html

:scared:
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:49 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

As for the environment, ok, i accept some of the comments, but i hate to sound cheesy, but what did they say in Jurassic Park?...."Life finds a Way" Sorry, but i guess it means Auz wildlife will adapt over time, and us owners also need to help this rather than hinder.

Yes, life finds a way, but that can mean some animals in their natural environment become extinct when either competing with introduced species or being hunted by introduced species.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
That's a great post and exactly what people are saying. A responsible pet owner. And Jigsaw's a beautiful cat. I can see why you lov him

BTW: Why do you have a dog for your avatar? Why not a piccie of Jigsaw? And where did you get his name?It's funny [is it cos he fits into your life?]

Hi Phoenix, thankyou very much for your reply and kind words, i needed some after a bit of a bashin. My cat is the most handsome cat in the world, like his daddy I think I will put a picture of Jigsaw as my Avatar, the dog was there becuase my nickname many moons ago was Bulldog As for Jigsaws name, that was his name when my neighbour game him to me, because she got a new boyfriend and had little time for Jigsaw, so we looked after him. As for his name, she told me it was because they used to have a dog as well called "Puzzle" guess we just kept the name. ANyways got to go Jigsaw wants to come in and were going to bed, He likes his own pillow
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Hi Phoenix, thankyou very much for your reply and kind words, i needed some after a bit of a bashin. My cat is the most handsome cat in the world, like his daddy I think I will put a picture of Jigsaw as my Avatar, the dog was there becuase my nickname many moons ago was Bulldog As for Jigsaws name, that was his name when my neighbour game him to me, because she got a new boyfriend and had little time for Jigsaw, so we looked after him. As for his name, she told me it was because they used to have a dog as well called "Puzzle" guess we just kept the name. ANyways got to go Jigsaw wants to come in and were going to bed, He likes his own pillow

Oh and another Picture of my "Baby Boy"
Attached Thumbnails How Is My Cat Bad for the Environment?-jigs1a.jpg  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 11:13 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Oh and another Picture of my "Baby Boy"
Already practising the sun bathing I see

Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:53 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

he does like eating spiders though which im extactic about
Like Simone said.... that`s one less cat to worry about in Oz if he does like eating spiders, or playing with snakes.....

After he sees a Huntsman he may think twice about eating spiders..... let`s hope so.

Looks like a cool cat btw
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Another reason to bring your cat in at night is to stop him getting run over by hoons. Ours always comes in at night and I'm often out there tapping on the catfood can to get him in.
Our cat has also been eating roaches and silverfish - I haven't seen a redback in or around our house so they're not a problem. However, Sid caught his first bird about a week ago; I was really gutted but cannot put up a cat garden in this rental, but we're hoping to move asap. That certainly doesn't help the "never caught an animal" argument, which admittedly is what I thought. The aussie birds seem dopier (must be because they haven't evolved to cope with cats) than the UK ones so perhaps the temptation is greater?

Last edited by Larissa; Apr 7th 2005 at 1:46 pm. Reason: addition
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:59 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wombat42
You caught me out l did'nt think anyone would remember my old posts,
Yes l did own a cat but not anymore. The local council did require all cats to be microchiped with the name and address of the owner, but l think only same councils require this.
lol I have a good memory
.................................................. .................................................

killer kangaroo
http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/staff/swr...erKangaroo.pdf

Killer Kangaroos and Other Murderous Marsupials

http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/staff/swr...marsupials.pdf

P.S

My cats are always eating spiders in the house , I keep finding them regurgitated, huntsmen and wolf ( I am always trying to rescue the spiders around the home when the cats spot them - I like spiders)

A huntsman doesn't harm cats ( dosen't even really hurt humans, amy make some humans a bit sick that's all, others nothing) , neither do the deadly funnel webs ( funnel webs only kill primates, us and a monkey, they will make an animal ill but not kill them like it can do to a human).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.