Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much would we need?

How much would we need?

Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Summerleft is on a distinguished road
Default How much would we need?

Bit of a general question but as OH is running away with the idea now I need to make sure we can actually afford it!

Had some good news, his company has assigned him an account manager in Aus, who will help him get a placement within the company he already works for.

But on the whole do they give any relocation funds? I suppose he would have to be highly sought after for that so suspect its a no.

I know we need a fair whack to get the pets over, and are going to sell all our household goods, cars etc with exception of the motorbike (no idea what will hapen with that yet) so this should in theory give a nice amount and back up to live off. But we still need to save the money for flights and animals. Not taking anything barr some clothes and my camera equipment.

Just an idea on how mcuh we might need before he starts getting his wage ?

hope thats not too much of a daft question
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

roxanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much would we need?

Hi, im a newbie myself so i cant really offer any advice on how much / how far money will go once you get to OZ, we are just at the TRA stage now and hoping to move to Perth later in the year.
We have a large rottweiller my OH wants to take with us and have been quoted just short of £3k to just get him there, doesnt include any quarantine or vet costs. So that is a big chunk of what money we have, we are selling our house and belongings like u & just bringing clothes & personal pictures etc.
I think we will have about 10k to take over after flights & visa costs, reading some posts on here some people have a lot more and some go with nothing much at all.

Sure someone that has already emigrated will be able to offer more advice
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough

I asked a similar question myself, and some people take thousands and some go with very little. Im planning on saving between £10 and £15k, and this will be for 2 adults and 2 kids flights,visa costs, new furniture when over there etc. and we are hoping there will be enough left to cover a couple of months rent
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

We came with about $5k. Provided you have a job to go to anything is possible