Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how much to take with you??

how much to take with you??

Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

shaheen09 will become famous soon enoughshaheen09 will become famous soon enough
Default how much to take with you??

how much money do you have to take with you.we are a family of 4, we will be renting first and also loking for work.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all
Default Re: how much to take with you??

hi
this topic comes up a lot, the answers you will get vary from a few grand to hundreds of thousands, some people hit the ground running with not a lot others well they have a good cushion, look at costs of rentals, insurance , bills ect, also remember you have to live a life as well, im budgeting for 6 months without work in case, also buying a car, i reckon 2000 gbp per month for my family (not including buying car), it might be high or low im not sure, others out there already will give better advice im sure, im also looking at taking as much as possible for a deposit for a house when needed.
john
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

shaheen09 will become famous soon enoughshaheen09 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by johnknight001
hi
this topic comes up a lot, the answers you will get vary from a few grand to hundreds of thousands, some people hit the ground running with not a lot others well they have a good cushion, look at costs of rentals, insurance , bills ect, also remember you have to live a life as well, im budgeting for 6 months without work in case, also buying a car, i reckon 2000 gbp per month for my family (not including buying car), it might be high or low im not sure, others out there already will give better advice im sure, im also looking at taking as much as possible for a deposit for a house when needed.
john
hi john,thanks for this.atleast now i have an idea, how far r u in yr process.we have just made up our mind after a long time.there are so many things to think about,don't know where to start.we have decided not to go with an agent and do the paper work ourselves.also i was thinking when it finally happens i might send the hubby first then ill join after a few months.that way he'll have less pressure and he can look for work.

shaheen
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

karl anthony is just really nicekarl anthony is just really nicekarl anthony is just really nicekarl anthony is just really nicekarl anthony is just really nicekarl anthony is just really nicekarl anthony is just really nicekarl anthony is just really nice

Originally Posted by shaheen09
hi john,thanks for this.atleast now i have an idea, how far r u in yr process.we have just made up our mind after a long time.there are so many things to think about,don't know where to start.we have decided not to go with an agent and do the paper work ourselves.also i was thinking when it finally happens i might send the hubby first then ill join after a few months.that way he'll have less pressure and he can look for work.

shaheen

i honestly don`t know the correct answer but we are also just about to apply and also dont know if we will use an agent or not but if we are successful we will be bringing everything we have. much will depend on the house sale and the equity it will release, saving like a couple of squirrels just now for the long winter ahead,

no luxuries and no beer.... she told me last week as she left with her pals to go to a hen night...............
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

shaheen
Hi Shaheen,

We were granted Skilled Visa on 7th April this year, if you have any questions or if I can be of any help (might not be though!!), I will do my best !!

Donna.
x
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

how much money do you have to take with you.we are a family of 4, we will be renting first and also loking for work.
Hello again,

In response to your post, how long is a piece of string !

This time last year, we had it all planned out, £25k equity in the house, starting to pay off our little bits and boom, everything changed this year !!!!

We were not able to sell the house, we had it on the market for £115,000 now we are being told that we would be lucky to get £90k !!!!

That leaves us with roughly £4k, crap I know, and we are currently trying to pay off our bits, still !!! We have resorted to moving in with my parents, 2 cats, 1 dog and the husband

I think what I am trying to say is, if you are in a position where you have enough to see you through the first 6-8 weeks then you should be ok, it looks like all we will be taking is roughly £3-4K which may not seem much, but will definately help in the short term, after that, who knows, but I am willing to take the jump.

Donna.
xx
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Forgot to add, we will also be paying our mortgage from over in Oz to if the house doesn't sell, so thats another £600 a month.

D.x
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Hi

for my two penneth, we are about to embark on the 457 trip after the other half was offered a job.

We dont own our house, hence will be trying to take with us approx 6 months rent as a down payment (following temp accom whilst looking), enough for a car and then the rest will be supplemented by the gfs's new salary as I want a bit of time off before I get back into the breach of work - all in all about £18k

People cope with different lives and amounts, however try and give yourself at least two months of freedom to acclimatise rather than "having" to get work asap as this will limit your options and justify/command/hurry you choices.

Sean
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

shaheen
hi
its always a tricky one, how much is enough!
we are also going alone, i have had my skills assessment with vettasses passed, this wasexpensive about £800, visa 175 online just about ready to submit.
john