Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Much 'Really' for a decent car?

How Much 'Really' for a decent car?

Old May 4th 2004, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi Maxx,

Sorry if this has already been answered....

The lowish difference between new cars and, say, a 1 year old is because the new 'un is a base price i.e. it'll be manual so add another 1-1.5k for auto. Then there's all the other stuff that can be added.

Having said that, they seem to be getting better at making the "extras" standard.

As ABC said the stat warranty is only 90 days but that should be enough time to find out the brakes don't work and the air bags go off when you sneeze!

I'm not trying to depress you further but remember to add, stamp duty (on a $20K about 3%??) and licence (265 on mine) plus sundry "Got anything left in your pocket" fee (about $50).

Also on NO ACCOUNT let the garage put any extras on the vehicle. You pay stamp duty on the TOTAL value of the SALE not the car. If you want anything added you can shop around better after the fact.

I'm sure you'll find something good. Remember cars don't rot as much here as they do in the UK so newer isn't always better.
Old May 4th 2004, 1:33 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nibbs
Hi Maxx,

Sorry if this has already been answered....

The lowish difference between new cars and, say, a 1 year old is because the new 'un is a base price i.e. it'll be manual so add another 1-1.5k for auto. Then there's all the other stuff that can be added.

Having said that, they seem to be getting better at making the "extras" standard.

As ABC said the stat warranty is only 90 days but that should be enough time to find out the brakes don't work and the air bags go off when you sneeze!

I'm not trying to depress you further but remember to add, stamp duty (on a $20K about 3%??) and licence (265 on mine) plus sundry "Got anything left in your pocket" fee (about $50).

Also on NO ACCOUNT let the garage put any extras on the vehicle. You pay stamp duty on the TOTAL value of the SALE not the car. If you want anything added you can shop around better after the fact.

I'm sure you'll find something good. Remember cars don't rot as much here as they do in the UK so newer isn't always better.

Hi Nibbs,

I have never driven an automatic. My friend says I should definately go for one when we move - I noticed that the second hand cars were more expensive if they were automatic.

Do they charge stamp duty on everything there or what??!!

Max x
Old May 4th 2004, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Hi Nibbs,

Do they charge stamp duty on everything there or what??!!

Max x
I think they left it off my speeding ticket

I reckon an auto is the way to go. If you can, try and get cruise control. It's great to waft along knowing you not going to absent mindedly fill the law's coffers!

Bitter moi!

Anyways beddie byes for me

Night night all (jeez I sound like ABC at the end of the kids programs)
Old May 4th 2004, 11:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Nibbs
I think they left it off my speeding ticket

I reckon an auto is the way to go. If you can, try and get cruise control. It's great to waft along knowing you not going to absent mindedly fill the law's coffers!

Bitter moi!

Anyways beddie byes for me

Night night all (jeez I sound like ABC at the end of the kids programs)
Auotmatic and Cruise Control does make life easier, and cheaper, on the roads

I think the ABC TV station should change it's name, it could get confused with me

Old May 5th 2004, 12:41 am
Die Hard Freo Fan

Simmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys
So the aussie obsession with 4wd cars is alive and well, it astounds me why people buy 4wd when they have absolutely no intention of ever going off road.........is it a status thing?????? Must be, I have to drive one as part of my daily job and hate the thing, bit like driving a transit (Ford).....
My personal car is a TJ Magna 3.5 Advance and it is by far and away the most comfortable quiet car I have ever driven.
Simmo (president of the 4wd haters club )

Tongue in cheek......
Old May 5th 2004, 12:44 am
Die Hard Freo Fan

Oh.....by the way hope you have got a good bank balance as you can see the fuel guage dropping as you drive,tyres and servicing is also way pricey......
Old May 5th 2004, 12:53 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Simmo
Oh.....by the way hope you have got a good bank balance as you can see the fuel guage dropping as you drive,tyres and servicing is also way pricey......
Yah, boo, sucks to you, little one!

I take my 4WD offroad every time I go up to my property in the mountains. I spend about $60 a week on petrol just going in and out of Sydney to work, (considerably less than I spent in the UK on my BMW 318 each week), and my last major service cost $600. That was a type 'B' service - basically everything was covered. And the guy came out to my home, so I didn't spend a couple of hours farting around in a garage!

And no-one gives me any grief on the road, either!

So there!
Old May 5th 2004, 1:05 am
Die Hard Freo Fan

Downunderpom,
Then you are my hero, I have finally met someone who takes theirs off road, good on you brother, after all that's what they are designed for and are fantastic fun too, my gripe is more about mum's who drive them around during the day dropping kids off to school etc....and think that they bloody own the road...

In fact I had to laugh last week, up the road from me is a footy oval and it annoys me that everyone without a 4wd parks in the carpark as normal, where there is plenty of spaces for everyone, but noooooooooo that is not good enough for the 4wd owners, they like to park in the median strip, cus obviously they need a 4wd to mount that kerb, probably the only time that they get to go off road....... . Anyway I digress, the funny thing was that a nice ranger was putting tickets on all of their windscreens, I absolutely pis&*#d myself laughing........

Being serious now 4wd are great vehicles if you use them for what they are designed to be rather than a status symbol, seems to me like having a speed boat in your drive and never actually taking on water, just towing it around for a while to show off.........
Old May 5th 2004, 1:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I rented a 4WD last week and boy did I need for one of the days. Great fun and those old landcruisers are tough as nuts. A bit steep on the Diesel though.
Old May 5th 2004, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Simmo
My personal car is a TJ Magna 3.5 Advance .....
Tongue in cheek......

Oh I know those, I get a really irritating rattle when I drive over them

Sorry Simmo.

Haven't done anything off road in mine yet (hold on... ask me again in 9 months!). Really should have bought an older one as I do intend to get involved in the equivalent of green laning.

You're right about the tyres. $250 a pop. Equivalent for a jeep were $170.