British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How Much 'Really' for a decent car? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-much-really-decent-car-228257/)

maxpaxx May 3rd 2004 7:25 am

How Much 'Really' for a decent car?

I have been looking at the variuos car sales websites.

Just wondering from peoples actual experience is it going to be possible to get a decent 4WD for $17k -$20k - not that old. I can't seem to find anything for this kind of price.

Cheers

Maxine x

renth May 3rd 2004 7:31 am

Re: How Much 'Really' for a decent car?

Originally posted by maxpaxx

Just wondering from peoples actual experience is it going to be possible to get a decent 4WD for $17k -$20k - not that old. I can't seem to find anything for this kind of price.

Cheers

Maxine x
The sort of 4x4s you'll get at those prices will be much older Pajeros/Landcruisers/Patrols. They might have been well looked after but they will be old and may well have "starship" milage.

You'd be able to get a slightly newer "hairdresser's car" for the price you quoted.

maxpaxx May 3rd 2004 7:57 am

Originally posted by renth
The sort of 4x4s you'll get at those prices will be much older Pajeros/Landcruisers/Patrols. They might have been well looked after but they will be old and may well have "starship" milage.

You'd be able to get a slightly newer "hairdresser's car" for the price you quoted.
Thanks - I think!

:) ..my Husband will have a company car so this is a second car but £7000-£8000 is not a small amount to me for a car.

yvsie May 3rd 2004 9:32 am

yup renth is right ofcourse...sorry maxpax

we paid $15,000 for a 4 yr old holden commodore..which my hubby says is like the uk vauxhall omega (i think thats what he said!!!). it has done lots of k's but so far is running well...7 months on....

the 4 wheel drives that are for sale around 15k as renth says will be old...but they really do look good.depends if your bothered about massive km's or not.

we found it really funny..you can see very old cars driving around here..the old for populars just to name one...some sound like tanks!!!!..but they just dont rust here like they do in the uk..and people dont seem to care if their car is ancient or not..as long as it gets em from a to b!!!

maxpaxx May 3rd 2004 12:51 pm

Originally posted by yvsie
yup renth is right ofcourse...sorry maxpax

we paid $15,000 for a 4 yr old holden commodore..which my hubby says is like the uk vauxhall omega (i think thats what he said!!!). it has done lots of k's but so far is running well...7 months on....

the 4 wheel drives that are for sale around 15k as renth says will be old...but they really do look good.depends if your bothered about massive km's or not.

we found it really funny..you can see very old cars driving around here..the old for populars just to name one...some sound like tanks!!!!..but they just dont rust here like they do in the uk..and people dont seem to care if their car is ancient or not..as long as it gets em from a to b!!!
I think thats a good thing about Aus - don't you?

Here everyone seems to want to out-do the nextdoor neighbour with a better car (we all know they are on HP so whats the difference!) I don't subscribe to buying on HP I'm afraid and if I have spare cash it's always goes into property where you get a return on your money! Hence I drive around in my little M reg Punto - but I thought I would treat myself and the girls to a bit more comfort and power steering and as I am a short ass I thought a 4wd being high up would be nice!

What do you think I would have to pay to get a Honda CRV or a Nissan x-trail or something like that...it really depends on what more we can save between now and September!

Thanks yvsie x

irishmolly May 3rd 2004 2:13 pm

for an idea on car prices check out www.autotrader.com.au you can see second hand dealer prices, classified and new cars for sale.

PommieLeague May 3rd 2004 2:19 pm

I would have thought about $5000 would get ya a decent 2nd hand car with full rego and some history? Thats all id pay!

Nibbs May 3rd 2004 2:26 pm

Hi MP

If you do buy an older 4X4, get it inspected!

We don't have MOT's so these things can have serious problems that aren't visible.

There is however a statutory warranty that all licenced dealers (unlicenced do exist but not within the law) have ot give which should cover any safety related issues.

BTW I've seen some pretty nice looking Landies (Discovery) going for 2-3k more than your budget if you can stretch.

maxpaxx May 3rd 2004 3:16 pm

Originally posted by Nibbs
Hi MP

If you do buy an older 4X4, get it inspected!

We don't have MOT's so these things can have serious problems that aren't visible.

There is however a statutory warranty that all licenced dealers (unlicenced do exist but not within the law) have ot give which should cover any safety related issues.

BTW I've seen some pretty nice looking Landies (Discovery) going for 2-3k more than your budget if you can stretch.
Hey I didn't realise that about MOTs but i was thinking of paying for an RAC inspection.

I think you may be right about stretching the budget to get something decent!

Cheers

Max x

Grayling May 3rd 2004 3:26 pm

Hey I didn't realise that about MOTs but i was thinking of paying for an RAC inspection.

I think you may be right about stretching the budget to get something decent!

Cheers

Max x
I would not be worried about buying an old 4x4 providing it had been inspected.
I would be bothered about buying a car that had been 'hammered' on a few trips to the 'Top End'.

My son bought an old ex army extended wheel base Land rover and there was no rust on it.
He did rebuild a lot of it which I am sure you do not want to do.It does show that 'Old' motors can be OK.
Mind you, his car would not be much good for driving round town etc.I doubt it had Power steering etc.

I have seen lots of old cars in really good nick so they do exist.
Go for the inspection though.

Good luck

G

sman May 3rd 2004 3:48 pm

Cheers

Maxine x
Have a look at
WWW.AUTOWEB.COM.AU most models
and ages there.

Andy Pandy May 3rd 2004 8:04 pm

Cheers

Maxine x
Hi Maxine,
Check this Perth Auction site out, you can view the cars online. I went to one a few weeks ago. However, its a buyers market here with plenty of cars to choose from and most have warranties with them.

http://www.autogroup.com.au/Catalogu...WAA&catno=1081

Good luck
Andrew

Don May 3rd 2004 8:10 pm

Cheers

Maxine x
Don't spend that money, the IR don't want a 4WD! :D :cool: :)

maxpaxx May 3rd 2004 8:19 pm

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Don't spend that money, the IR don't want a 4WD! :D :cool: :)

...but I'm sure they do!

I'm convinced they need one to visit people!

I wish I could spend that bloody money - I could get a lovely 4wd then....reading the above comments my paultry $20,000 is not going to get me very far
:(

Don May 3rd 2004 8:24 pm

...but I'm sure they do!

I'm convinced they need one to visit people!

I wish I could spend that bloody money - I could get a lovely 4wd then....reading the above comments my paultry $20,000 is not going to get me very far
:(
It would in NZ, my Toyota Surf, 3 litre diesel, SSR-G (good model with extras), 1996, 54000kms, Jap import, great condition - cost NZD22500 which would be AUD19500.

Pollster got one similar.

Strange the two countries offer such different value for used cars. :( :( :(