Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much rain in Brisbane summers?

How much rain in Brisbane summers?

Old Oct 4th 2004, 12:30 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much rain in Brisbane summers?

Originally Posted by jimtrish
That would be a yes then! any experiences of them? that was an excellent read...thanks.

Not myself but below is a picture of a tornado taken from the Brisbane Stormcharsers site, a source of some excellent photos of some of the more seevre weather you can expect to see in QLD.

http://www.bsch.au.com/photos/index.shtml

There was a very modest storm in Brissy a couple of weeks back, it began around 4am which is unusual and was outside of storm season proper (Jan/Feb). At about 6:45 there was the loudest bang I think I've heard during a storm - I think lightning must have hit the ground very nearby as the flash of light which filled the house and the noise were pretty much instantaneous
Attached Thumbnails How much rain in Brisbane summers?-tornado.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2004, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We were really lucky this year - storms at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb every day for about three weeks, dead on 4pm....... except for the day wwe got married! Quite how we managed it, I don't know, but I think it was the only day in about 3 weeks when north Brisbane and Redclliffe idn't get hit!
so is it still hot on those days when the rains come, like hong kong weather where you get soaked from the rain one minute and the next your dry as a bone?
Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney also gets some cracker storms, dont know if they are as often, but they are certainly severe and do enormous damage.

Love the descriptions by jayr and the 1985 piece wish I could write like that!
Old Oct 4th 2004, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Daffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr
Brisbane gets twice as much rain as London, it mostly all falls in summer during storms. As jadnrich says, there is also typically a period of 2 or 3 weeks when it is raining almost constantly with huge humidity and temperatures often falling to about 25C - this is a fairly unpleasant period.

Storms come on some of the hottest days. During the storm season it is wise to get off the beach and home before about 4PM, this is typcially when the storms hit and you don't want to be outside during one.

Last summer (february?) five big stoms hit in 7 days - we lost power on at least three of those occasions. The rainfall is intense, our pool overspilled very quickly (a few inches falling in undr 30 mins), the grass pools with water, even though it has been dry. Lots of trees come down during the storms, a 30ft gum tree fell across our road blocking it. In our suburb there were numerous other roads blocked for the same reason, a friend's mature gum fell down through about three neighbour's gardens. There was a block of units (flats) in New Farm which lost the entire roof.

As the storm builds up , the sky goes some very strange colours, often a strange green light seems to precede the big storms. You'll know its coming by the enormous heavy black clouds turnng the sky dark. The storm will be about to break overhead just as the wind suddenly whips up, downfall when it comes is intense - its best to shut all windows and keep away from them, unplug TV and computer. This is also the time to get your torch and candles to hand, and a battery operated radio is a good idea (reminds me I need to buy one).

Big storms tend to be short in duration - maybe 20-30 minutes but can be longer. Once they pass, the hot ground turns the water to steam which rises off the roads about one metre high.
Hello JAYR

I'm Bloody Scared!!!!

We are driving up to Sunshine Coast on 11 December for a four week camping holiday!!!! Me, hubby, three lads and a dog!!!! Will we be OK? We have a trailer tent which all of us will pile into!!!!!! I'm unsure whether we'll be safe, sounds like we'll either be electrocuted, pelted to death or blown away!!!

Seriously, will we be OK?
Old Oct 4th 2004, 5:51 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daffy
Hello JAYR

I'm Bloody Scared!!!!

We are driving up to Sunshine Coast on 11 December for a four week camping holiday!!!! Me, hubby, three lads and a dog!!!! Will we be OK? We have a trailer tent which all of us will pile into!!!!!! I'm unsure whether we'll be safe, sounds like we'll either be electrocuted, pelted to death or blown away!!!

Well to be honest there's no guarantee - however the worst storm activity is more likely to be in January and February. I'd like to say that last year's storms are unusual (and the frequency of them probably was), but it has hit 32C today in Brisbane CBD, 6C higher than the average for October - I'm expecting a long, hot, stormy summer myself.

Look around www.bom.gov.au for weather info, it's a bit difficult to navigate but full of info. Apaprently they are publishing their 'Tropical Cyclone Seasonal Outlook' for the Nov-April season on 18 October - should make interesting reading....

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/cyclone/seasonal/
Old Oct 4th 2004, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daffy
Hello JAYR

I'm Bloody Scared!!!!

Three boys here too, have camped in summer with that lot but only for a couple of nights. Most important advice would be DONT head for the shade and camp under a tree, that is so dangerous in summer, trees just come down even a large branch can kill, God I'll have the moderators after me again for putting people off but its true dont camp under a bloody tree in summer. Trouble is because its hot people still do it When a storm comes you get into the car, we got to camp sites early and got the spots next to bbq shelters or the bog! nice brick building if anything nasty happens. Also had bare minimum in tent in case of evacuation. Also dont camp near empty creeks they have a habit of filling rapidly in a storm. Beachfront camp sites fill up unless you book but if you get one and a storm comes sit it out in the car. Budget for a few nights in motels/cabins when you cant get the tent up. You dont really know what each summer will bring, some years we get bad storms by christmas, other years they hang off to later on. Agree with Jayr this year seems to be warming up very early just under or over the 30 degrees its nice tho, no humidity yet because weve had no rain.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 6:23 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Three boys here too, have camped in summer with that lot but only for a couple of nights. Most important advice would be DONT head for the shade and camp under a tree, that is so dangerous in summer, trees just come down even a large branch can kill, God I'll have the moderators after me again for putting people off but its true dont camp under a bloody tree in summer.

That reminds me of walking on a bush walk at Mt Tamborine recently, there was no storm or wind or anything but a large branch suddenly crashed from the canopy onto the path, just after my wife had passed and just before my son and I were about to.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 6:26 am
Karma Comedian

This blog has some mention of the storms last summer, clciking on the highlighted words brings up pics of some fallen branches etc.

http://www.australiablog.com/archives/001100.shtml
Old Oct 4th 2004, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Daffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.

We are going up on this tour to confirm whether we actually want to live up there and if we do, where we will want to live. I won't be put off living there by the extreme weather but will be feeling a bit unsafe camping at Xmas. I spent some time in Cairns a long time ago and witnessed some beaut storms but I was a young backpacker then and spent most of the time p****d. I just hope our old tent stands up to it!!!!

Thanks again. Daffy
Old Oct 4th 2004, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Three boys here too, have camped in summer with that lot but only for a couple of nights. Most important advice would be DONT head for the shade and camp under a tree, that is so dangerous in summer, trees just come down even a large branch can kill, God I'll have the moderators after me again for putting people off but its true dont camp under a bloody tree in summer. Trouble is because its hot people still do it When a storm comes you get into the car, we got to camp sites early and got the spots next to bbq shelters or the bog! nice brick building if anything nasty happens. Also had bare minimum in tent in case of evacuation. Also dont camp near empty creeks they have a habit of filling rapidly in a storm. Beachfront camp sites fill up unless you book but if you get one and a storm comes sit it out in the car. Budget for a few nights in motels/cabins when you cant get the tent up. You dont really know what each summer will bring, some years we get bad storms by christmas, other years they hang off to later on. Agree with Jayr this year seems to be warming up very early just under or over the 30 degrees its nice tho, no humidity yet because weve had no rain.
Hi guys,

how long have you been in QLD? and how long does it take to acclimatise to the weather? my hubby reckons it used to take about 6 months in hong kong.
can you just remind me of the seasons there, I mean when they are and when its likely to be the 'nicer' weather etc.

cheers

Trish
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 7:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HugoB
Hi, I've only been to Brisbane before in the winter and will be visiting next year in the Autumn. I can see that Brisbane gets it's bulk of rain in the summer and wondered how much it rains there - are they short sharp and thundery and dry up quickly, or does it rain day after day? I know the rain is needed, but does it affect enjoying the summer months outside at all?

Thanks guys,

HB x
Some weather and rainfall information in Brisbane at these links:

November 2003 - it rained (more than 0.2mm) on 7 days - total 26.6mm
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...9.200311.shtml

December 2003 - it rained (more than 0.2mm) on 13 days - total 141.6mm
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...9.200312.shtml

January 2004 - it rained (more than 0.2mm) on 18 days - total 279.2mm
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...9.200401.shtml

February 2004 - it rained (more than 0.2mm) on 6 days - total 131.2mm
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...9.200402.shtml

March 2004 - it rained (more than 0.2mm) on 11 days - total 103.2mm
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...9.200403.shtml

April 2004 - it rained (more than 0.2mm) on 9 days - total 31.0mm
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...9.200404.shtml
Sept 2004 - it rained (more than 0.2mm) on 9 days - total 20.8mm
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...9.200409.shtml

The links show daily rainfall and temperature figures.