Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much money to take ?

How much money to take ?

Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much money to take ?

Ok, this is based on a lot of assumptions at the moment...the main one that we actually get accepted.

I'm 6 months into my application under the general skilled category (Offshore Independant) along with my wife and son.

We live on the Isle of Man and have a house worth in the region of £275K with a mortgage of only £99K. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm bragging...we were just very lucky and bought at the right time.

Anyway, if we're accepted we are hoping to rent our existing property for around £1K per month as the rental market here is quite bouyant. With our mortgage repayments taken care off we should be able to afford around £350 / month on a rental property in Oz. We only envisage this to be for the first 6 months to a year until we've found our feet, sell our own house and buy a property down under.

So this comes around to my original question. We won't be going down there with any huge collateral behind us, only what we can save.

Ideally for the first month we'd like to have a look around, fly to Brisbane and Sydney to check them out. By the way, Perth is our preferred destination although we are still very open minded.

How much should we have to get started down there do you think ? I mean, are we talking (excluding flights to Oz & Shipping / Freight costs) £5K or are we talking £20K.

I'd like to hear from similar folk who were in our position and made the move or those still weighing up the idea of reanting their own home in the UK before committing to property in Oz.

Bit of a ramble, bearing in mind we've heard naff all from Adelaide since our application was received.

Comments / thoughts much appreciated.

Three Legs...Manx & Proud.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:39 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money to take ?

Originally posted by Three Legs
Ok, this is based on a lot of assumptions at the moment...the main one that we actually get accepted.

I'm 6 months into my application under the general skilled category (Offshore Independant) along with my wife and son.

We live on the Isle of Man and have a house worth in the region of £275K with a mortgage of only £99K. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm bragging...we were just very lucky and bought at the right time.

Anyway, if we're accepted we are hoping to rent our existing property for around £1K per month as the rental market here is quite bouyant. With our mortgage repayments taken care off we should be able to afford around £350 / month on a rental property in Oz. We only envisage this to be for the first 6 months to a year until we've found our feet, sell our own house and buy a property down under.

So this comes around to my original question. We won't be going down there with any huge collateral behind us, only what we can save.

Ideally for the first month we'd like to have a look around, fly to Brisbane and Sydney to check them out. By the way, Perth is our preferred destination although we are still very open minded.

How much should we have to get started down there do you think ? I mean, are we talking (excluding flights to Oz & Shipping / Freight costs) £5K or are we talking £20K.

I'd like to hear from similar folk who were in our position and made the move or those still weighing up the idea of reanting their own home in the UK before committing to property in Oz.

Bit of a ramble, bearing in mind we've heard naff all from Adelaide since our application was received.

What line of work are you in? If its going to take a while to find work, £20k is nowhere near enough. Also, although the rental market may be bouyant now, will that still be the case when you're ready to go? You need to leave money behind to cover mortgage repayments if necessary.

We've sold up and are taking everything with us. Hopefully we can live mortgage free, if not, we'll have a tiny mortgage.

Jane
Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:51 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money to take ?

Originally posted by Three Legs

We live on the Isle of Man and have a house worth in the region of £275K with a mortgage of only £99K.
how much should we have to get started down there do you think ? I mean, are we talking (excluding flights to Oz & Shipping / Freight costs) £5K or are we talking £20K.

Hi Three Legs!!!
welcome to the madhouse!!
I think the ideal is that you are able to support yourself and family for at least 2 years (ie 2 years salary) - I would imagine the knowledgable migration agents who are often around will be able to advise you on that one!!
If you have so much equity in your property why not release some of it to set you up? if you are intending to sell it eventually anyway, you need the money to take with you sooner rather than later.
I would imagine some of the people on here will also be able to advise you about the tax implications of having property in the uk too.

sue

ps love the username!!!!