Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice
Default Re: How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

Originally Posted by liver bird
Hi good luck to you and don't let what I say put you off as i'm still homesick after three months in brissie and pregnant!!

BUT, please don't believe the Down Under programmes. My friends have just been watching a new one and say people are saying Brisbane is really cheap?!!!! I'm only speaking from our experiences and our family, others find it brilliant and lovely here
but we find ourselves even more broke out here. We are prs and spent about 20k getting out here (got two under three kids and pets!). Things we wish we'd known before coming out (even if it sounds obvious are)

a) House prices have gone up in Brisbane, you'd have a hard job living mortgage free on 200k in a decent area and not miles out in the sticks or in some new town housing estate (sorry no offence) then you're going to need more - We're looking at 500-600 Aussie Dollars at least to get a decent house. As prs you qualify for child benefit over here but we are finding ourseles really struggling. Medicare is mostly free to prs but a trip to the docs still costs us about 20-30 quid even after we've claimed medicare costs back, havent' been to a dentist yet either! With two young kids it all adds up! We were better off financially in England. Our equity from our house is fast disappearing as we're paying a really high rent here at the moment (stupidly got signed in fo
r six months), and second hand cars are really expensive (just paid 6k for a corsa!)

B) Meat is cheaper here (doesn't count for me as am veggie!) but on the whole our food shops is just as expensive (although we have just found an aldi!) - and hubby on far less money There are only two big supermarkets over here and they ahve monopoly on stuff, hardly any home brands. Shocks for us is wine is expensive! Telstra is expensive (we had a great deal gas and electricity and phone with telewest and np power and our bills have rocketed here).

C)Don't discount the humidity and sunshine. Sunny sounds great but for us it's a struggle doing every day life in the heat with two young children. Just our experience and you may love it but I loved the sun before I came out and now I find it really hard. Sun cream is fairly expensive too (expected it cheaper!) even though we try and go for special offers. Plus have been freaked out by the number of skin cancer clinics everywhere.

Kids having a better life?? MMm. Yes there are superb parks and outdoor facilities swimming pools etc for kids but at 35 degrees and 80 per cent humidity you don't much fancy a trip to the park! (have to wait till after half four till it gets cooler!). Heat has made ours cranky and grumpy. Mainly stay in aircon, shopping malls or toddler groups! Think for us, ours would have a much better life in the UK. Apparently winter in brisbane lovely though you get the heat but then cool evenings....

School system here different. At home our three year old would qualify for free pre school place, five mornings a week > Here she won't qualify cos of hte new prep system and her birthday falling late in the year for free school till she's six! Daycare and kindy just as expensive as UK with huge waiting lists (Unless we're looking at the wrong places!)

D) The biggie - missing family and friends. Sounds daft but you really don't appreciate what you've got till they're on the other side of the world, even with skype and webcams etc.

E) Really stupid one here..... Brisbane is actually quite far from the aussie idea of a beach!! It takes us an hour and a half to drive to the sunshine coast and the lovely beaches there (even if you have a man made beach in town!).

And it always gets dark (unless someone to tell me different) at 6pm! so no light evenings out in the summer like in the UK!

Anyway don't shout at me everyone as I say I'm hormonal and these are just my experiences. I wish you good luck in everything you do and really hope you do what's right for your family and that it all works out for you xxx
(we've
You need to move down to Melbourne..............more bearable with less of the problems stated above, well it gets dark at 21:00 during summer
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liver bird
Hi good luck to you and don't let what I say put you off as i'm still homesick after three months in brissie and pregnant!!

BUT, please don't believe the Down Under programmes. My friends have just been watching a new one and say people are saying Brisbane is really cheap?!!!! I'm only speaking from our experiences and our family, others find it brilliant and lovely here
but we find ourselves even more broke out here. We are prs and spent about 20k getting out here (got two under three kids and pets!). Things we wish we'd known before coming out (even if it sounds obvious are)

a) House prices have gone up in Brisbane, you'd have a hard job living mortgage free on 200k in a decent area and not miles out in the sticks or in some new town housing estate (sorry no offence) then you're going to need more - We're looking at 500-600 Aussie Dollars at least to get a decent house. As prs you qualify for child benefit over here but we are finding ourseles really struggling. Medicare is mostly free to prs but a trip to the docs still costs us about 20-30 quid even after we've claimed medicare costs back, havent' been to a dentist yet either! With two young kids it all adds up! We were better off financially in England. Our equity from our house is fast disappearing as we're paying a really high rent here at the moment (stupidly got signed in fo
r six months), and second hand cars are really expensive (just paid 6k for a corsa!)

B) Meat is cheaper here (doesn't count for me as am veggie!) but on the whole our food shops is just as expensive (although we have just found an aldi!) - and hubby on far less money There are only two big supermarkets over here and they ahve monopoly on stuff, hardly any home brands. Shocks for us is wine is expensive! Telstra is expensive (we had a great deal gas and electricity and phone with telewest and np power and our bills have rocketed here).

C)Don't discount the humidity and sunshine. Sunny sounds great but for us it's a struggle doing every day life in the heat with two young children. Just our experience and you may love it but I loved the sun before I came out and now I find it really hard. Sun cream is fairly expensive too (expected it cheaper!) even though we try and go for special offers. Plus have been freaked out by the number of skin cancer clinics everywhere.

Kids having a better life?? MMm. Yes there are superb parks and outdoor facilities swimming pools etc for kids but at 35 degrees and 80 per cent humidity you don't much fancy a trip to the park! (have to wait till after half four till it gets cooler!). Heat has made ours cranky and grumpy. Mainly stay in aircon, shopping malls or toddler groups! Think for us, ours would have a much better life in the UK. Apparently winter in brisbane lovely though you get the heat but then cool evenings....

School system here different. At home our three year old would qualify for free pre school place, five mornings a week > Here she won't qualify cos of hte new prep system and her birthday falling late in the year for free school till she's six! Daycare and kindy just as expensive as UK with huge waiting lists (Unless we're looking at the wrong places!)

D) The biggie - missing family and friends. Sounds daft but you really don't appreciate what you've got till they're on the other side of the world, even with skype and webcams etc.

E) Really stupid one here..... Brisbane is actually quite far from the aussie idea of a beach!! It takes us an hour and a half to drive to the sunshine coast and the lovely beaches there (even if you have a man made beach in town!).

And it always gets dark (unless someone to tell me different) at 6pm! so no light evenings out in the summer like in the UK!

Anyway don't shout at me everyone as I say I'm hormonal and these are just my experiences. I wish you good luck in everything you do and really hope you do what's right for your family and that it all works out for you xxx
(we've

That is a very honest post, yes it is lovely here, but like anywhere in OZ there are downsides too.

Cheap wine, you can get it, but its in boxes, like 4 litres for $10, not exactly great quality but its there for those who want it. Food only way we survive food wise is to drive all over the flippin place buying from farms, bulk etc even then when all the kids are home easily $300 a week now.

"Free' school is not that free either, you will pay for all books and supplies, levies for many things, we have school contribution fee, levies for science and computer use, art levy, then the constant and neverending requests for stuff like swimming, camp, outings, special days, people visitng the school doing stuff like sex ed, or performances. They are usually smallish amounts, highest we got was $200 for a 2 day camp, but like you say they add up especially if you have more than 1 kids.

Respite from the heat should arrive by april, lovely then till around november when it warms up again.

Dark mid summer just after 7 winter about 5.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 8th 2007 at 2:56 am.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Mate, we're going with the shirts on our backs and about £5K in cash.........stop worrying! You'll have more money than you'll need!!!
We also came out here with $5K, had no house to sell. We got jobs within 2 weeks and bought a house within a year.
J.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
You need to move down to Melbourne..............more bearable with less of the problems stated above, well it gets dark at 21:00 during summer
thanks! but can't face anywhere else in oz (no offence!) Have heard Melbourne is lovely though x
Old Feb 8th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
That is a very honest post, yes it is lovely here, but like anywhere in OZ there are downsides too.

Cheap wine, you can get it, but its in boxes, like 4 litres for $10, not exactly great quality but its there for those who want it. Food only way we survive food wise is to drive all over the flippin place buying from farms, bulk etc even then when all the kids are home easily $300 a week now.

"Free' school is not that free either, you will pay for all books and supplies, levies for many things, we have school contribution fee, levies for science and computer use, art levy, then the constant and neverending requests for stuff like swimming, camp, outings, special days, people visitng the school doing stuff like sex ed, or performances. They are usually smallish amounts, highest we got was $200 for a 2 day camp, but like you say they add up especially if you have more than 1 kids.

Respite from the heat should arrive by april, lovely then till around november when it warms up again.

Dark mid summer just after 7 winter about 5.
Thanks! felt guilty after posting in case it made anyone miserable. Ta for the wine tip, once baby is born am sure will need it! and argh about the school. Looking forward to winter just to be bit cooler x
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:42 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

What do you call cheap? We went to mt Tambourine and got a case for $70 and it not bad stuff.
Never keen on wine that comes out of a box

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Cheap wine, you can get it, but its in boxes, like 4 litres for $10, not exactly great quality but its there for those who want it.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

tonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant future

Hi Ste&Dawn,

Just to give you a bit of confidence I'll tell you a bit about our experience. We moved to Oz in November 2006 and travelled for 10 weeks in a motorhome to see a bit of the country and have time off before getting back to work (I definitely recommend this if you can afford to take a bit of time off).

We drove through Brisbane during our travels and secured an apartment on the South Bank after a few days and without too much trouble. We also decided to start off in the city as we do not have a car etc and is easier when looking for jobs in CBD. South Bank is great, been here a week. 1 min walk to train station/busway and the museums, galleries, theatre, library, restaurants, river etc all within 10 mins of walking.

I am an IT project manager and hubby is a senior cisco engineer like you. We were in Cairns the week before last finishing our travels and decided to drop our CV's to a couple of job ads on www.seekit.com.au. Our phones practically rang off the hook. We moved back down to Brisbane on the Sunday and I had 2 job interviews lined up for Tuesday. Got offered both jobs, accpeted one and started on Thursday! Decent package (I think) $80K plus 9% super which is better than I was expecting. Hubby has had loads of response to his CV as well so it looks like he will have a job soon as well.

We plan to move out to one of the suburbs after our 6 months are up here and have been looking at houses between the $400 - $500k bracket.

So to summarise, there are loads of jobs in the IT industry here if you are half decent. UK is generally ahead of Oz technology wise so you are seen as ahead of the game apparently (i.e. no reason why you should need to start at the bottom). Both companies I had interviews with said they have had real trouble getting skilled IT workers so don;t worry and good luck with the move. Keep in touch if you need any help/info when you get here.

Cheers
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:02 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Who did you end up working for ?

Glad to know there are loads of I.T. jobs incase I get bored where I am LOL

Originally Posted by tonik25
I am an IT project manager and hubby is a senior cisco engineer like you. We were in Cairns the week before last finishing our travels and decided to drop our CV's to a couple of job ads on www.seekit.com.au. Our phones practically rang off the hook. We moved back down to Brisbane on the Sunday and I had 2 job interviews lined up for Tuesday. Got offered both jobs, accpeted one and started on Thursday! Decent package (I think) $80K plus 9% super which is better than I was expecting. Hubby has had loads of response to his CV as well so it looks like he will have a job soon as well.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

tonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant futuretonik25 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by themerlin
Hi,
Who did you end up working for ?

Glad to know there are loads of I.T. jobs incase I get bored where I am LOL
I just PM'd you with the details - did not want to splash the company name on the internet as I have only been there 2 days and I don't want them to be inundated with calls and emails from UK IT project managers

Cheers
Old Feb 11th 2007, 10:43 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ste&Dawn
I am a Senior Cisco Network Engineer
The vibes that we are getting is that you get demoted to the bottom of the career ladder when you get there as Aussies get preferential treatment when doling out the jobs, is this right?
Firstly, it hasn't been my experience that you would be overlooked for an Aussie just because you're not one - I've done OK Also in both the jobs I've had in Australia, there has been plenty of non-Aussies doing OK within the company so I don't believe this is true. You do have to 'think Aussie' a little bit though - really talk yourself up on your CV, get rid of the British reserve , that kind of thing.

Secondly, as a Senior Cisco Engineer, you'll have companies fighting over you Good Cisco people seem to be in short supply.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonik25
Hi Ste&Dawn,

So to summarise, there are loads of jobs in the IT industry here if you are half decent. UK is generally ahead of Oz technology wise so you are seen as ahead of the game apparently (i.e. no reason why you should need to start at the bottom). Both companies I had interviews with said they have had real trouble getting skilled IT workers so don;t worry and good luck with the move. Keep in touch if you need any help/info when you get here.

Cheers

Originally Posted by wmoore
Firstly, it hasn't been my experience that you would be overlooked for an Aussie just because you're not one - I've done OK Also in both the jobs I've had in Australia, there has been plenty of non-Aussies doing OK within the company so I don't believe this is true. You do have to 'think Aussie' a little bit though - really talk yourself up on your CV, get rid of the British reserve , that kind of thing.

Secondly, as a Senior Cisco Engineer, you'll have companies fighting over you Good Cisco people seem to be in short supply.

You guys have just made my day Hearing that Cisco positions, especially the senior roles would stand you in good stead in gaining a position is like music to my ears. Just got to wait till Oct now so that the OH can get us in (Midwife, 136 MODL) Then the fun begins!

Thanks once again.

Ste&Dawn
Old Feb 12th 2007, 7:44 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Careful in The Valley and New Farm there is a lot of petty crime about there ... I had a friend that sold her apartment there because of the constant hassle and noise. That's the price you pay for living somewhere 'edgy' I guess ...

Of course, it's not ALL like that but she was searching a fair while for somewhere half-decent that wasn't plauged by blackmarket rental properties full of dodgy tenants or party animals.

Tread careful and be sure to visit your chosen area on a couple of Friday/Saturday nights before committing (not that it makes that much difference in The Valley from my experience).

Cheers,
Matt

On Topic Section (lest my post gets deleted ...)
I arrived with 20K pounds debt and seem to have survived without a huge wedge of cash
I agree - I'd be very careful before renting in The Valley...some very 'colourful' characters.

And all this talk of starting at the bottom and getting crap wages?! It's not always the case. I moved out here two years ago and my wage was 30% more than in the UK. It's now 57% more than the wage I left behind.

In terms of buying a 200k house, you'll get something pretty decent in most inner Brisbane suburbs like Camp Hill, etc. My advice would be to look south of the river. You can't go far wrong looking around Bulimba, Hawthorne, Balmoral too although your money probably won't go as far. We bought our Queenslander for $500k and it's tiny compared to our house in the uk but it's a spot on location and in reality big enough for just two of us.

Ta

R
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:13 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by samnrob2
I agree - I'd be very careful before renting in The Valley...some very 'colourful' characters.

And all this talk of starting at the bottom and getting crap wages?! It's not always the case. I moved out here two years ago and my wage was 30% more than in the UK. It's now 57% more than the wage I left behind.

In terms of buying a 200k house, you'll get something pretty decent in most inner Brisbane suburbs like Camp Hill, etc. My advice would be to look south of the river. You can't go far wrong looking around Bulimba, Hawthorne, Balmoral too although your money probably won't go as far. We bought our Queenslander for $500k and it's tiny compared to our house in the uk but it's a spot on location and in reality big enough for just two of us.

Ta

R
Been here 2 years too R and I started on the same equivalent salary in aussie dollars as UK pounds ... I was prepared to take a 3 month contract though which is probably the best advice I can give - take anything to get a start and if you are good then you will soon 'network' your way around. It certainly beats using the useless agencies.

If I wanted to live around the City then I'd be looking around Sherwood (although I agree that Bulimba and Balmoral are also good spots), it's really nice down there ... having said that I'm perfectly happy in the sticks, I like me space and chickens

Cheers,
Matt
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Mark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really niceMark044 is just really nice

What sort of areas are you talking about for 400-500k?? have been looking on Realestate and areas like Annerlerly, Alexandra Hills, Carindale etc (which i believe are reasonable areas) you can get 3 bed places of reasonable size for like 350k.....is this not the case, or were you talking about CBD areas for 400-500k???
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

BobbyK81 will become famous soon enoughBobbyK81 will become famous soon enough

Hi all,
My Girlfriend & I will be lucky to go with anything on our backs, we're hoping to go next March and also squeeze in a wedding before that!! Economising will be the word for the next five years, but it'll be worth it