Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all
Question How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

Hi All,

My OH and I are looking to submit an application for PR in October of this year and have just started looking into the total costing that a move to Aussie would incur.

In terms of equity we will have around £100-110k (house sale dependant) and both have decent paid jobs over here in the UK. OH is a Midwife (£24k), I am a Senior Cisco Network Engineer (£34k) We are looking to move to Brisbane and i looking at spending around £200k on a house. Is this a realistic amount to be taking given that you have got to pay out circa £30k moving costs (flights, conveyancing fees here, Visa's, taking the cat!)

The vibes that we are getting is that you get demoted to the bottom of the career ladder when you get there as Aussies get preferential treatment when doling out the jobs, is this right? Why demote staff who have proven track records when they can be an asset to your business, is it so that they can get experienced staff but pay them peanuts? Is it all worth it
I love my job here and am only likely to move up the ladder if we stay put but the UK just does not cut it for us anymore. We just want to give our kids and ourselves a better chance in life but are starting to think that it might prove to costly once you have factored everything in.

Anybody out there who had similiar thoughts prior to making the leap.

Thanks

Ste&Dawn
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:28 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all
Default Re: How much equity did you have when you migrated to Brisbane?

We are going to out to Brisbane in two weeks, if we actually sell the house (PLEASE SOMEONE BUY OUR HOUSE!!) by the time we have paid off certain things that need paying we will have a grand total of nothing to take with us.

This is fear will probably not be enough for our mortgage free dream Ala 'Wanted Down Under' and means we are gonna be starting from the bottom, again. But hey ho, i would rather be skint in Brissie than skint here. And the whole point of going was to be paying the same mortgage on a house twice as big and in the sun. So our lives will be much richer as a result

We are not PR by the way, i have got a job in Bris and am being sponsored on a temp visa, only took a month to get and cost next to nothing. Once we have settled and decided to stay we can then work towards moving that to a PR visa.
We have decided not to ship anything at all, we are busy selling everything we have and starting from scratch in Aus, scary stuff but very liberating. We do not yet have kids though which i guess makes what we are doing possible, i cannot imagine doing this with children.

Where do you work by the way?, I'm in the Cisco biz too.

Last edited by The Murphsters; Feb 6th 2007 at 12:33 pm. Reason: I can'te Spelle
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ste&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to allSte&Dawn is a name known to all

Hi The Murphsters

Thanks for the insight and reply, and we think that we are barmy

I work in Lancashire for a big PLC and am into all things Cisco! LAN, WAN, VPN, Design and Implementation. God I had a possible new starter yesterday and put him through a lab to assess his skills.

I wish more would do this to sort out the real CCNP's from those that have just heard the term and have put it on their CV who are on a wing and a prayer. Good luck to you both.

Cheers.

Ste&Dawn
Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

We hope to go with 60-70K possably more depends on house sale & what we can save/sell .

A migration agent said to us , some go with 100K , some go with what they have in their back pocket .

Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:58 pm
tedeschicat

tedeschicat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Murphsters
We are going to out to Brisbane in two weeks, if we actually sell the house (PLEASE SOMEONE BUY OUR HOUSE!!) by the time we have paid off certain things that need paying we will have a grand total of nothing to take with us.

This is fear will probably not be enough for our mortgage free dream Ala 'Wanted Down Under' and means we are gonna be starting from the bottom, again. But hey ho, i would rather be skint in Brissie than skint here. And the whole point of going was to be paying the same mortgage on a house twice as big and in the sun. So our lives will be much richer as a result

We are not PR by the way, i have got a job in Bris and am being sponsored on a temp visa, only took a month to get and cost next to nothing. Once we have settled and decided to stay we can then work towards moving that to a PR visa.
We have decided not to ship anything at all, we are busy selling everything we have and starting from scratch in Aus, scary stuff but very liberating. We do not yet have kids though which i guess makes what we are doing possible, i cannot imagine doing this with children.

Where do you work by the way?, I'm in the Cisco biz too.
Hi all, we are also looking to go to Brisbane, where abouts are you going to? Its so confusing as we have no one over there.. Just wondering on areas
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:09 pm
The Murphsters

The Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to allThe Murphsters is a name known to all

We are not sure really either, have decided to rent an apartment close to CBD for 6 months, should give us plenty of time to explore Brisbane and area before deciding where to settle. We love the look at some of the coastal suburbs just south of the river and north around Redcliffe. But we are really just going by the web so that could all change when we get there.

We figured CBD as that is where my office is and is easier for my other half to get around on public transport as i doubt we will have two cars for a while at least. Plus of course being neary CBD means easy for bars & restaurants etc.. as we do not know anyone yet either.

When u off?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

We are not sure really either, have decided to rent an apartment close to CBD for 6 months, should give us plenty of time to explore Brisbane and area before deciding where to settle. We love the look at some of the coastal suburbs just south of the river and north around Redcliffe. But we are really just going by the web so that could all change when we get there.

We figured CBD as that is where my office is and is easier for my other half to get around on public transport as i doubt we will have two cars for a while at least. Plus of course being neary CBD means easy for bars & restaurants etc.. as we do not know anyone yet either.

When u off?

Hi The Murphsters

How did you manage to get yourself a job out there before you even get there! I had come to the conclusion based upon what i have read that it is nigh on impossible to secure yourself a job in IT unless you are actually resident in the country. Did you go through an agency? Any tips would be much appreciated

By the way we are looking around the North Lakes area. I did live on the Sunshine Coast for 5 months a few years back But alas, I suspect that there isn't many jobs up there.

Cheers,

Ste&Dawn
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:57 pm
tedeschicat

When u off?
We are hoping to activate our visa's all being well in june of this year!! As we do not have jobs as yet.. Our holiday will be for research on 1, location for our children and 2, Job links.. What area have you if any decided on?
Old Feb 6th 2007, 1:58 pm
The Murphsters

To be fair i did get a bit lucky in the end, but at the beginning of last year i did email loads of Cisco partners asking what the job situation was and whether or not they would consider sponsorship, I am in sales btw. I was suprised by some of the replies i got so much so that we decided that this March we would be going to Brisbane for a holiday and i would spend much of my time trying to land a job.

I left my last job before Christmas with every intention of talking a position in another company (more money to save for Aus!) I was working for a large plc too - maybe same company as you - has two letters in its name. On my leaving night out i happened to get talking to one of our suppliers who was an Aussie (his company is based in NZ) and of course the conversation turned Australian and he happened to mention that their Brisbane guy had just handed in his notice and the rest is history as they say.

I arrive in Brisbane on the 22nd Feb and starting work right away. I know i did get lucky but it makes you realise it is such a small industry on such a small planet i think you make your own luck. I certainly think it is possible to get a job offer cold if you are qualified, persistant, cheeky and lucky!

Last edited by The Murphsters; Feb 6th 2007 at 2:03 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:01 pm
The Murphsters

Originally Posted by tedeschicat
We are hoping to activate our visa's all being well in june of this year!! As we do not have jobs as yet.. Our holiday will be for research on 1, location for our children and 2, Job links.. What area have you if any decided on?
Probably Fortitude Valley/New Farm area, seems a lot of nice aparments arund there - not cheap at all but handy. There is no use trying to get anything yet as no-one is willing to hold anything for 3 weeks, so we are going to wait until the week before we go and try and secure something then.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm....Interesting. Better get that Cisco Partner list down off of the web then. Perhaps you might need an engineer then in 18 months, our apps go in this October
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:03 pm
tedeschicat

To be fair i did get a bit lucky in the end, but at the beginning of last year i did email loads of Cisco partners asking what the job situation was and whether or not they would consider sponsorship, I am in sales btw. I was suprised by some of the replies i got so much so that we decided that this March we would be going to Brisbane for a holiday and i would spend much of my time trying to land a job.

I left my last job before Christmas with every intention of talking a position in another company (more money to save for Aus!) I was working for a large plc too - maybe same company as you - has two letters in its name. On my leaving night out i happened to get talking to one of our suppliers who was an Aussie (his company is based in NZ) and of course the conversation turned Australian and he happened to mention that their Brisbane guy had just handed in his notice and the rest is history as they say.

I arrive in Brisbane on the 22nd Feb and starting work right away. I know i did get lucky but it makes you realise it is such a small industry on such a small planet i think you make your own luck. I certainly think it is possible to get a job offer cold if you are qualified, persistant, cheeky and lucky!
Just wondering what sales are you in? With research and all Hubby is in sales.. we are hoping to come out june to activate our visa's just doing our home work and all.
Cheryl&Stephen
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:09 pm
The Murphsters

IT sales
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:11 pm
The Murphsters

Originally Posted by Ste&Dawn
Hmm....Interesting. Better get that Cisco Partner list down off of the web then. Perhaps you might need an engineer then in 18 months, our apps go in this October
We are planning to continue to post and catch-up on the site, stay in touch dude and see what happens when you are ready!

Good Luck
Old Feb 6th 2007, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

We are planning to continue to post and catch-up on the site, stay in touch dude and see what happens when you are ready!

Good Luck
Nice one,

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.