Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much do we need to live on?

How much do we need to live on?

Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:19 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suebo
PB, stop yanking peoples chains. If you were earning that much, you would certainly not be complaining. The average wage between 2 normal careers is about $80,000 (in Perth) and it is easy to survive on it. My hubby and I did it on around $70,000 between us befoer we left in 96 - and we never scraped or wanted for anything. I know that is a while back, but we have been back since and stayed for a while. We were earning around $9,000 clear each month and saved a heap of money. SO stop crapping on and putting people off.......................
The guy compared UK wage and Australian wage level, I pointed out that mine is a lot less , our joint income before tax is well over a $100k but we are not blessed with great wealth.
I know many here who have to get by on less than $30k a year before tax .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 19th 2003 at 2:25 am.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Depending on what job you do as to what pay you take home. EG Secretarial $400-500/w executive job $700+ (realistic) subcontractor in computer $1200 - $2000/w depends on what you do. That is clear after taxes and if anyone wants to argue with that I have the paperwork to prove it. So between 2 people it is quite easy to earn $4000 (on the realistic scale) and that is not hard to live off.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wilf
Whatever you read and whatever fairy tales you listen to, most on the site should expect about $700 per week. Count yourself lucky if you get full time, permanent work, let alone well paid. You are asking people who have been in the country several years and have worked their way up and then expecting the same. You think experience and time here does not improve earnings like in England? Chances are, you will get temporary contracts and $0 when the contract ends. Average it out and you will be very happy to get a permanent, reliable 700.
If you are renting and have kids $700 a week is probably about the minimum for a reasonable standard of living, in Perth anyway.

I say if you have kids because if you are bringing home $700 a week and renting you will also receive about $400 a fortnight extra per child in Family Tax Benefit A & B and Rent Allowance.

If you have a mortgage though you'll have to do your own calculations, maybe $500 a week after mortgage payments.

Dan
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by suebo
Depending on what job you do as to what pay you take home. EG Secretarial $400-500/w executive job $700+ (realistic) subcontractor in computer $1200 - $2000/w depends on what you do. That is clear after taxes and if anyone wants to argue with that I have the paperwork to prove it. So between 2 people it is quite easy to earn $4000 (on the realistic scale) and that is not hard to live off.
You are assuming both people in a couple will get full time, permanent work. There is no point earning 700 a week for 3 months and then nothing for another 3 and then saying "I get 700". There are too many temporary contracts and part timers here and when people are working out their income they forget the blank periods and the days they get no work and no pay. Your figures are inflated, no matter what your papers say. I have written 700 on a piece of paper here - you accept my proof now?

I know real people here, not paper dollies. Funny how PB and I both know real people on $30-40 k per year is it not?

Last edited by Wilf; Jun 19th 2003 at 3:36 am.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
If you are renting and have kids $700 a week is probably about the minimum for a reasonable standard of living, in Perth anyway.

I say if you have kids because if you are bringing home $700 a week and renting you will also receive about $400 a fortnight extra per child in Family Tax Benefit A & B and Rent Allowance.

If you have a mortgage though you'll have to do your own calculations, maybe $500 a week after mortgage payments.

Dan
The punters on this site are above taking benefits - that is only for refugees as far as they are concerned and they are better than that. Shame that, from what a lot of them say and what they seem capable of coping with, they will be living on handouts.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Just aked and was told that people like me bring this country down demanding changes in my conditions , next I will be asking for a project to do .

G

ya gonna complain to your local MP ?

T
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

Dan
I think for a more accurate allowance quote its best to go to the source of the information and use your own earnings details.
"the $400 per child per fornight" is abit over the top from my own experience.

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/Inter..._services.html
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:46 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by terryg
G

ya gonna complain to your local MP ?

T
Done that many a time hes a good Irish boy we have fought many a battle together with Joondalup council last time was me Pagola .
He did get me to become an Aussie as he said whats the point of him shouting on my behalf and I was not even a voter.

Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by aussie bloke
I think for a more accurate allowance quote its best to go to the source of the information and use your own earnings details.
Fair point, it's probably going to be around $300 per fortnight. But like you say, people should work it out for themselves.

It can be seen as handouts by some but at the end of the day, even if you don't claim the fortnightly payment you will still get the allowance when your tax bill is calculated by the tax man.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:12 am
Banned

Fair point, it's probably going to be around $300 per fortnight. But like you say, people should work it out for themselves.

It can be seen as handouts by some but at the end of the day, even if you don't claim the fortnightly payment you will still get the allowance when your tax bill is calculated by the tax man.
Breed and prosper or work and be taxed like mug where have I heard the likes of that before.

Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by aussie bloke

I think this post has just solved yesterdays discussion on the UK having too many "give me a handout immigrants/assylum seekers".

Wait till they find out what they get here.

It wont be the UK they are trying to get into.

I can hardly wait for the governments proposed cash for kids plan. Sums of $6000 - 25,000 per kid have been bandied about so far. Really socially responsible, can you imagine how many idiots are gonna pork out half a dozen kids they dont want and pick up the cash. Can you also wonder how much of lump sums is going to be spent on any baby not on new cars, computers, holidays, boats etc.

Welfare system here has me totally at a loss. I dont mind the taxpayer forking out money to poor kids but I would like it distributed in a way that it actually gets to the KIDS.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:32 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
I think this post has just solved yesterdays discussion on the UK having too many "give me a handout immigrants/assylum seekers".

I can hardly wait for the governments proposed cash for kids plan. Sums of $6000 - 25,000 per kid have been bandied about so far. Really socially responsible, can you imagine how many idiots are gonna pork out half a dozen kids they dont want and pick up the cash. Can you also wonder how much of lump sums is going to be spent on any baby not on new cars, computers, holidays, boats etc.

Welfare system here has me totally at a loss. I dont mind the taxpayer forking out money to poor kids but I would like it distributed in a way that it actually gets to the KIDS.
Can you imagine how many kids would be assaulted on their way to the lolly shop?
Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:33 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by dotty

It's probably to encourage people to breed. The reason Australia has it's migration policy is because the birth rate is so low that it is a demographic disaster waiting to happen.

It's a shame that the people encouraged to breed by these handouts will mostly be the hillbilly types and "ferals" as my mate describes his neighbours in his own run down suburb.
Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

It's probably to encourage people to breed. The reason Australia has it's migration policy is because the birth rate is so low that it is a demographic disaster waiting to happen.

It's a shame that the people encouraged to breed by these handouts will mostly be the hillbilly types and "ferals" as my mate describes his neighbours in his own run down suburb.
So true, the government has to come up with measures to incease the population, and I fully understand that.

As you say tho, what sort of people are going to have kids to get this sort of money. It has to be the most irresponsible scheme I have ever heard of.

Australia is already talking about making parenting courses compulsory to cut down the horiffic levels of child abuse and neglect here. Then it comes up with cash for kids. For heavens sake, it is just asking for a whole generation of unwanted and abused kids. My bet is most of the money given out will go to parents drug habits, material posessions, feeding the poker machines, then the taxpayer will be left to support another heap of unwanted abused kids. It really is the most ludicrous proposal and beyond responsiblity to the kids who will live a life of hell so mum and dad could score a few grand.