Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How much do we need to live on?

How much do we need to live on?

Old Jun 18th 2003, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Coley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much do we need to live on?

We're hoping to get an offer from my husband's company this week to relocate us to Melbourne. He will get a local salary and I just wanted to put a question to those of you already out there.... How much - ie. gross salary would he need to support a family of four reasonably comfortably - bearing in mind that we will be renting - probably at around the 350-400 dollars a week mark. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old Jun 18th 2003, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

My personal opinion (for what its worth) is your husband should look to get double his UK salary. Ie 30k here he wants to be earning $60k in Oz

For a more accurate comparison.

take a look at http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/finance.php
you will find under "calulators" a cost of living calculator.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much do we need to live on?

Originally posted by Coley
We're hoping to get an offer from my husband's company this week to relocate us to Melbourne. He will get a local salary and I just wanted to put a question to those of you already out there.... How much - ie. gross salary would he need to support a family of four reasonably comfortably - bearing in mind that we will be renting - probably at around the 350-400 dollars a week mark. Thanks for any help in advance!
Try the search engine as i'm sure i've seen this type of question before. Also:
How long is a piece of string??. Depends on your lifestyle would be my comment but if it helps the following is what we're spending given our financial constraints while I start work:

Approx $ per week unless stated.
Rent 300
Electricity 20
Gas 20 (its winter so for heating)
Water 5
Telephone 20 (more if international calls..)
Internet 23.5
Petrol 35 (upto 100 if you go away somewhere nice at weekends!)
one off Car Insurance (500 per yr for $8k car)
one off Car Registration (approx 200 per year)
one off Car Licence (30)
Weekly Food 150 - 200 inc 1 or two eat outs a week.
Childcare 20
Train fare into City 20 (approx 2 return journeys)

Other inc household stuff ? upto 50

Cannot think of anything else material enough to include.

Obviously does not include any new appliances etc. You can check out websites of stores like Harvey Norman. For second hand goods, please serach out the Trading Post.

Laters.

rajj
Old Jun 18th 2003, 4:02 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

When we got our pre-grant letter, there was a form attached outlining the minimum amount of $ needed to survive for ie a single person/couple/family.

This was based on benefits amounts, but didn't specify different Australian cities.

I've had a look on www.immi.gov.au but can't find the form on there.

Someone else might have it handy?

If not will try and find it tonight.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 4:32 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

This might be of interest:

http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/bookle...ct/english.htm
Old Jun 18th 2003, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

i was informed by PB this morning that his joint $140k is 'just' enough to scrape by on..

his $80k alone would be enough to force them to living under bridges

that's perth though so may be even more in your area..

see thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=160102

cheers

richard
Old Jun 18th 2003, 4:56 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by r.bartlett
i was informed by PB this morning that his joint $140k is 'just' enough to scrape by on..

his $80k alone would be enough to force them to living under bridges

that's perth though so may be even more in your area..

see thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=160102

cheers

richard
Hi Richard - wish you had put a couple of smilies in that response?

Joint for us here in Sydney - is on PB money taking into account total packages, super, medical etc - now before anyone panics, we have been renting at around 550 per week for the last year, husband did not work for five months. We have managed to have a good time and this is living in Sydney supposedly the most expensive city. Family of four - we are not great spenders in terms of entertainment/clothes but eat out regularly and have managed the last year on one car (cause I live near to work using public transport and no rellies to run around ) The kids are not in private school and we drink cask wine!

Defintely not living on a bread line!

Personally with my expenses Perth with 2 adults no kids, life would be a doddle on 140K - but then I await PBs response!

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2003, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sandra
Hi Richard - wish you had put a couple of smilies in that response?

struggling to get by on $80k is no smiling matter ;-)

cheers

richard
Old Jun 18th 2003, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

mikeburt is an unknown quantity at this point

if PB was earning $140K per year in Perth he wouldn't be coming home to Kinver!
Old Jun 18th 2003, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
My personal opinion (for what its worth) is your husband should look to get double his UK salary. Ie 30k here he wants to be earning $60k in Oz

For a more accurate comparison.

take a look at http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/finance.php
you will find under "calulators" a cost of living calculator.
Hi Chris

My understanding is that you double the number of your UK salary and deduct 20-25% and this is the dollar figure you will earn.

Cheers

Terry
Old Jun 19th 2003, 1:43 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by terryg
Hi Chris

My understanding is that you double the number of your UK salary and deduct 20-25% and this is the dollar figure you will earn.

Cheers

Terry

Just tried it and it did not come close must be unpaid but I am game for laugh .
There is a report here saying 25% of Australias working population have less than $300 a week coming in , so maybe I am over paid.

Old Jun 19th 2003, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Just tried it and it did not come close must be unpaid but I am game for laugh .
There is a report here saying 25% of Australias working population have less than $300 a week coming in , so maybe I am over paid.

G

Why dont ya put in for a pay cut ?

T

Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:02 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by terryg
G

Why dont ya put in for a pay cut ?

T

Just aked and was told that people like me bring this country down demanding changes in my conditions , next I will be asking for a project to do .

Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

PB, stop yanking peoples chains. If you were earning that much, you would certainly not be complaining. The average wage between 2 normal careers is about $80,000 (in Perth) and it is easy to survive on it. My hubby and I did it on around $70,000 between us befoer we left in 96 - and we never scraped or wanted for anything. I know that is a while back, but we have been back since and stayed for a while. We were earning around $9,000 clear each month and saved a heap of money. SO stop crapping on and putting people off.......................
Old Jun 19th 2003, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever you read and whatever fairy tales you listen to, most on the site should expect about $700 per week. Count yourself lucky if you get full time, permanent work, let alone well paid. You are asking people who have been in the country several years and have worked their way up and then expecting the same. You think experience and time here does not improve earnings like in England? Chances are, you will get temporary contracts and $0 when the contract ends. Average it out and you will be very happy to get a permanent, reliable 700.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.