Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many of you struggled emotionally when you arrived?

How many of you struggled emotionally when you arrived?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:58 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many of you struggled emotionally when you arrived?

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
I think in a way I was lucky that my stress levels peaked when I was still in the UK.....because I knew that it was related to the process of moving to Australia, rather than Australia itself (if that makes sense?)Rach xxxx

You have hit the nail on the head for me, that is exactly how I feel. Having had 2 years to come to terms with our application and in those two years we have had alot of stuff happen as in Mum dying, Dad being ill.

Had I moved to Australia a year ago, I would have not been emotionally ready enough as in getting over Mum, along with dealing with the emotions that come with migrating.

Even now I am struggling, I have so much to organise and suddenly the super organised person who was so one track minded with the visa application, has become quite useless and unable to prioritise anything.

I want to go so badly its just I want someone to take over and do it all for us.

I am glad I have 'peaked' or am about to peak with stress levels because like yourself, I believe that we have got alot of emotions out of the way in the build up instead of once we land in Oz.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:19 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Well I love it here, but have had occasions when I am and feel totally fine and then will be driving down the road and thoughts come into my head and bang, there go those bloody tears again!! It comes from no where and in my case goes as quickly as it appears!!

It isnt easy settleing in a new country, and some will have a go at saying it is, like I said I love it here but still struggle with somethings!!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:04 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
Well I love it here, but have had occasions when I am and feel totally fine and then will be driving down the road and thoughts come into my head and bang, there go those bloody tears again!! It comes from no where and in my case goes as quickly as it appears!!

It isnt easy settleing in a new country, and some will have a go at saying it is, like I said I love it here but still struggle with somethings!!
we must be operating on a similar time line, having arrived in the same city on the same day. Like you I love my new life here but occasionally swoop from a mighty high to a depressing low. But 9 months in and I know (touch wood) I'm thru the worst of it, the good days far outweigh the sad ones. For me and probably for most people, too many happy memories, great friends and loving family originate and remain in the UK to make the move a smooth, 'never look back', 'no regrets' transition. On balance I believe we've made a good choice and every week the scales of happiness tip a little further in Australia's favour and long may it continue.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 28 years and it comes and goes. It was difficult to start off with, having a small baby, no support network and a husband who was studying and out of the house from 8am to 11pm most days. It got a bit better when the kids got older and I got a job which made me too bloody tired to feel anything other than knackered. My parents came for half a year for 15 years after they retired but now they cant come and I feel really unsettled and would go home in a heartbeat. DH is Aussie so it isnt really an option for us, especially after all this time in the Aussie economy with a devalued dollar.

If you have to stay, the trick is to count your blessings and accentuate the positive - fake it til you make it with the positive attitude!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Kida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud ofKida has much to be proud of

I was totally fine till i hit the 8 months mark.
Then i t was the nightmare, wouldn't wish it to any of the worst enemies.
It was a nice spring day sunny and bright, i was at work when I realized
that i'm sitting and tears are running down my face.
I got home (thx God it was friday) and next day i didn't want to get out of the bed and so the day after and day after..
Ppl say it's normal and i believe it (because it would be public madness other wise) and it gets better after time passes.
I'm still struggling. No longer than yesterday I had my last good cry.
Btw it's so much not like old me.
So now i cry from time to time. Then stop, go get hot choc. Try to get to the bedtime, sleep and next morning usually is better.