Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many out of work?

View Poll Results: If you are looking for work, how long since you had work?
4 weeks
16.67%
10 weeks
16.67%
30 weeks
16.67%
52 weeks
50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

How many out of work?

Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How many out of work?

I am in WA, where are you based?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney .... construction .... some people really busy, others not so. there's been a few making cut backs but people tend to get gobbled up by those who are busy.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

I work with metal as a rule, but turn my hands to most things. Just that here you need tickets for anything going - i am sure i heard some where years ago a phrase over in Oz...'have a go'?
Just a pity they don't let you do just that and prove your ability, i see lots of younger people just happy with driving around or walking with skateboards under there arms, or are they suffering to?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:50 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Cairns which for a couple of years has had the highest unemployment rate in the country. Currently 8.6%.

I'm looking for an office based job in logistics, purchasing, admin or customer service type role.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I thought you was a bricky
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:56 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
I thought you was a bricky
I just talk and look like one.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I do this stuff as a hobby, just made me laugh
Attached Thumbnails How many out of work?-sidney.gif  
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I work with metal as a rule, but turn my hands to most things. Just that here you need tickets for anything going - i am sure i heard some where years ago a phrase over in Oz...'have a go'?
Just a pity they don't let you do just that and prove your ability, i see lots of younger people just happy with driving around or walking with skateboards under there arms, or are they suffering to?
The ticket / qualification / no experience necassary thing here makes me laugh. Some real multi degreed up locals who have absolutely no idea on practical matters making some really appaulling decisions ...... because ... I bought myself an MBA.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well I wish all you tradies would move to Sydney 'cos I can get *&^% all work done here.

It would be a start if they ever turned up when they arranged to. Flaked on again this morning. They're obviously too rich to get out of bed.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 2:18 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I do this stuff as a hobby, just made me laugh
Haha. That's good.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I was out of work for 7 months from September '10 to April '11.

The worst thing I found was all the free time and boredom, as not earning any money, I couldn't go out and spend any.

I got into a routine quite quickly, getting up in the morning, having a shower and breakfast, and then straight onto the job hunt for a few hours until lunch, then a walk (weather dependant), then possibly pop and see family or friends, or housework, then prepare dinner for the OH's return.

Plenty of job applications and prospective letters later, I got a positive response through an agency for a 3 month contract. I'm still here now in a permanent position.

Tomorrow could be the day you get a break - I thought it'd never happen, but it did.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The ticket / qualification / no experience necassary thing here makes me laugh. Some real multi degreed up locals who have absolutely no idea on practical matters making some really appaulling decisions ...... because ... I bought myself an MBA.
Applies across the board i'm afraid. There are so many right plonkers employed in the ranks of management and professions here with limited to zilth decision making skills to be almost unbelievable
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:36 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Another rejection today on the basis of overqualified.

I understand the thinking but it just pisses me off when I have written (downgraded) my resume to match what they are asking for and still it's no good.

Originally Posted by Bix
Cairns which for a couple of years has had the highest unemployment rate in the country. Currently 8.6%.

I'm looking for an office based job in logistics, purchasing, admin or customer service type role.
Sorry to hear about your rejection letter. It doesn't get any easier does it!

We're probably in our own over-qualified way applying for some of the same jobs!

I have my proper resume and a dumbed down version but I'm thinking of dumbing it down to more or less "worked in office - did stuff" and see how I go with that

I've just had a busy afternoon and sent off 4 new job applications. After a while it gets hard to enthuse in the covering letter .... I was tempted this afternoon to further attach a polite rejection letter to save them the bother of writing one - it's all about providing a service isn't it
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:58 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Sorry to hear about your rejection letter. It doesn't get any easier does it!

We're probably in our own over-qualified way applying for some of the same jobs!

I have my proper resume and a dumbed down version but I'm thinking of dumbing it down to more or less "worked in office - did stuff" and see how I go with that

I've just had a busy afternoon and sent off 4 new job applications. After a while it gets hard to enthuse in the covering letter .... I was tempted this afternoon to further attach a polite rejection letter to save them the bother of writing one - it's all about providing a service isn't it
The way I feel about the job market in Cairns I feel more like sending a dog turd than a polite self-addressed rejection letter. I sincerely wish you guys luck - we're leaving for Mackay or Gladstone in 2 weeks - which, I am told, are utter dumps but have plenty of work going. Keep your peckers up!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:35 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The way I feel about the job market in Cairns I feel more like sending a dog turd than a polite self-addressed rejection letter. I sincerely wish you guys luck - we're leaving for Mackay or Gladstone in 2 weeks - which, I am told, are utter dumps but have plenty of work going. Keep your peckers up!
Believe me, the dog turd notion appeals to me too - and we have plenty of that going spare with a new puppy in the house!

We've got a friend in Gladstone works on a dredger, not exactly sure what he is doing these days except that he is phenomenally well paid He says there is heaps of work going there at the moment, so all the best to you with that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.