Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many migrate and stay in OZ?

View Poll Results: How many Migrants stay in OZ ?
I Migrated to OZ and stayed
46.51%
I returned to UK after migrating to OZ
34.88%
I tried OZ, then returned to UK, but came back to OZ again.
16.28%
I came to OZ, then went somewhere else.
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

How many migrate and stay in OZ?

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 5:33 am
ABCDiamond

Default How many migrate and stay in OZ?

How many people stay in OZ (Australia only please)
and how many go back to UK,
and how many come here, go back and then return to OZ again ?

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 5:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many migrate and stay in OZ?

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
How many people stay in OZ (Australia only please)
and how many go back to UK,
and how many come here, go back and then return to OZ again ?
I've heard an attrition rate of 50% mentioned.

There are 3 main reasons for going back to the UK.

1) Homesickness
2) missing "the pub"
3) Can't remember the third
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 5:55 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Haven't gone back to the UK yet but returning. Certainly wouldn't come back here though, we've wasted enough money as it is, so to do it a 3rd time we'd be madder than we are now!!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Renth

I think the third reason that you forgot was amnesia, or was it alzheimer's ??????? I forget, anyway.....

You forget what it is you miss so you come back to see what it was. Trouble is when you do remember it wasn't as good as you expected so you decide to go back out to Australia again.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by migrantoz
Renth

I think the third reason that you forgot was amnesia, or was it alzheimer's ??????? I forget, anyway.....

You forget what it is you miss so you come back to see what it was. Trouble is when you do remember it wasn't as good as you expected so you decide to go back out to Australia again.
Tell me about it. I can't remember a thing these days.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:14 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Going back to Oz for the FOURTH time. Reasons for previous moves include homesickness and miserable husband. Very expensive, this will be the last move.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Whats the story with 3 times. Do you mean you have up rooted each time? Or only gone back for a holiday?

[i]Originally posted by janeyray [/i
Haven't gone back to the UK yet but returning. Certainly wouldn't come back here though, we've wasted enough money as it is, so to do it a 3rd time we'd be madder than we are now!!

Last edited by ahappychappy; Dec 3rd 2003 at 8:40 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:40 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ahappychappy
Whats the story with 3 times. DO you mean you have up rootes each time or only gone back for a holiday?
Be careful saying that one to an Aussie.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by cherry6
Going back to Oz for the FOURTH time. Reasons for previous moves include homesickness and miserable husband. Very expensive, this will be the last move.
Good luck to you Cherry, hope you find a way to settle down this time And I thought doing it twice was bad !

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:44 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Thanks ABC, i think with my experience I should set up a migration advisory service
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

ADELE & NIGE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by janeyray

Janeyray,

What didn't you like about perth, we are hoping to go there.

Adele
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 8:59 am
ABCDiamond

For those of you who hear bad stories about an area, you must remember we are all different.

I personally don't like Sydney, but I love South East QLD.

I know others who hate QLD, but love Sydney.

Good job too, otherwise we would get very crowded in one place

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

ABC

What made you go an come back again?

We are off for our first try next year to Gold or Sunshine Coast.

debs
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:34 am
Goodpubmisser

Living in Australia is not so very different to living in England. Same sh.t different bucket.

If you come out here like I did with a backpack on and no commitments then good for you. If you don't like it in Australia then you have less to worry about and can move on. If you are uprooting your family, selling houses, putting down pets etc all for the better life in Australia then you are in for a shock.

For many users of this forum, flipping burgers for McDonalds in the UK pays a bit less than flipping burgers for McDonalds in Australia.

The "Whinging Pom" reputation came from the government here promising British people paradise and then not delivering. What can I say - be realistic in your expectations and then you will not be disapointed.

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by debsy
ABC

What made you go an come back again?

We are off for our first try next year to Gold or Sunshine Coast.

debs
The reason that I left OZ was that I never really settled in Sydney. I gave it 10 years, but never felt at home. This was in the Western Suburbs. So in 1996 I packed a suitcase and came back home! And began again from scratch. The timing was good, property prices had crashed, so I was able to pick up a bargain.

But then, my wife never really settled in the UK, she wanted to go back to her "Home". And in the end, we packed up again, but kept the property in UK, "just in case" and back to OZ (Sydney) in 2000, but with the proviso that we headed for QLD asap.

The end result, in Dec 2002, with UK property at a high, and A$2.9 to the GBP, we sold our UK property, and headed for sunny QLD A 3 bed terrace in UK swapped for a 4 bed, best house in the street, near the water, in QLD.

I'm happy, my Daughter is happy, my wife misses her friends in Sydney, but Virgin Blue gets her there in 90 minutes.

I think I got it right this time....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.