Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many migrate and stay in OZ?

View Poll Results: How many Migrants stay in OZ ?
I Migrated to OZ and stayed
46.51%
I returned to UK after migrating to OZ
34.88%
I tried OZ, then returned to UK, but came back to OZ again.
16.28%
I came to OZ, then went somewhere else.
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

How many migrate and stay in OZ?

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

G' day ABC,

What made youy return to the UK, and what made you come back to OZ?

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Good luck to you Cherry, hope you find a way to settle down this time And I thought doing it twice was bad !
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by ahappychappy
G' day ABC,

What made youy return to the UK, and what made you come back to OZ?
See page 1, last post. Posted 30 seconds before your post and i'm NOT typing it again

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Good lad. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

The reason that I left OZ was that I never really settled in Sydney. I gave it 10 years, but never felt at home. This was in the Western Suburbs. So in 1996 I packed a suitcase and came back home! And began again from scratch. The timing was good, property prices had crashed, so I was able to pick up a bargain.

But then, my wife never really settled in the UK, she wanted to go back to her "Home". And in the end, we packed up again, but kept the property in UK, "just in case" and back to OZ (Sydney) in 2000, but with the proviso that we headed for QLD asap.

The end result, in Dec 2002, with UK property at a high, and A$2.9 to the GBP, we sold our UK property, and headed for sunny QLD A 3 bed terrace in UK swapped for a 4 bed, best house in the street, near the water, in QLD.

I'm happy, my Daughter is happy, my wife misses her friends in Sydney, but Virgin Blue gets her there in 90 minutes.

I think I got it right this time....
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

We haven't done it yet but have a few friends in Oz - Perth, Sydney and Gold Coast.

Perth
First family have been there 7 years, two children, very happy and settled.

2nd couple, who had baby in aug, have been there nearly 2 years now, had house built this year and even having their first child away from family are absolutely loving it, mentioned yesterday a bit of homesickness with xmas coming up but nowhere near enough to warrant even considering coming back here.......

Guy who is in Sydney, has been there for about 8 years, visits here about once a year but always eager to get back.

My best friend from college days, is on Gold Coast and now considers herself a fully fledged aussie, nothing else to say there, been 10 yrs and wouldn't dream of coming back

We have been to visit them all and can understand why no one has come back, with a positive attitude and having lived and worked there already, know what list we'll be on

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 11:11 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ahappychappy
Whats the story with 3 times. Do you mean you have up rooted each time? Or only gone back for a holiday?

Uk to OZ = 1

Oz to UK = 2

and if we came back to Oz that would be a 3rd time, but no thanks once is enough
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

The reason that I left OZ was that I never really settled in Sydney. I gave it 10 years, but never felt at home. This was in the Western Suburbs. So in 1996 I packed a suitcase and came back home! And began again from scratch. The timing was good, property prices had crashed, so I was able to pick up a bargain.

But then, my wife never really settled in the UK, she wanted to go back to her "Home". And in the end, we packed up again, but kept the property in UK, "just in case" and back to OZ (Sydney) in 2000, but with the proviso that we headed for QLD asap.

The end result, in Dec 2002, with UK property at a high, and A$2.9 to the GBP, we sold our UK property, and headed for sunny QLD A 3 bed terrace in UK swapped for a 4 bed, best house in the street, near the water, in QLD.

I'm happy, my Daughter is happy, my wife misses her friends in Sydney, but Virgin Blue gets her there in 90 minutes.

I think I got it right this time....
ABC
Hope that you have got it right this time! Good luck for the future
Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:52 am
ABCDiamond

So far, out of 17 votes, 9 have gone back to the UK, but 5 have turned around and headed back to OZ again.

Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It just goes to show that once you are out there your Rose- tinted specs change to viewing the Uk! Once people come back again they realise why they went in the first place.

Maybe it is a good idea to come back for a holiday a couple of years after leaving, just to remind yourself why you left
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:03 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

See page 1, last post. Posted 30 seconds before your post and i'm NOT typing it again
A BLUE VIRGIN I THINK
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

We came to Oz and we stayed. Been back to UK on holiday twice and that confirmed why we stayed.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Strangely enough, when we first arrived in NZ. The Taxi driver who took us to our hotel mentioned that alot of people move to NZ ,then back to blighty then back to NZ, once they realise, again the reasons for moving in the first place.

Not uncommon I guess and certainly not unique to Oz.

I certainly agree that if you are inclined to make the move back to blighty, put all your stuff in storage first. As you will probably end up crossing paths with it, as you head back to wherever it is you came from.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:15 am
ABCDiamond

anyone else want to answer this poll ?

Old Jan 6th 2004, 1:26 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

anyone else want to answer this poll ?

No because I'm still here
But you can add us to the returning list, been here over 6 years, actually it will be about 7 years in April I think - geeze doesn't time fly when your having so much fun.

I didn't emigrate here from the uk in the first place., just came with the job from Asia - totally open minded.

anyway ,returning, hopefully this year, but we've been saying that for the past couple of years - too much to tie up here first, but we are making plans to move on this year

cheers