Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many Km's on a used car is considered ok?

How many Km's on a used car is considered ok?

Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:28 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many Km's on a used car is considered ok?

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Looks like its thrown a con rod off the big end to me...but hard to tell from the photos.
really

(i haven't a clue wot you onabout willis)
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
really

(i haven't a clue wot you onabout willis)
Sorry I am not allowed to advise you further...I am not a licenced motor repairer! But I tell you what, I am a whole lot better at it than most of the licenced monkeys I have seen!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:33 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I am not allowed to advise you further...I am not a licenced motor repairer! But I tell you what, I am a whole lot better at it than most of the licenced monkeys I have seen!
they prolly trained 4 years to get to be that useless
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

they prolly trained 4 years to get to be that useless
I've have got staff that have made a life time's career out of being useless.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:40 am

I've have got staff that have made a life time's career out of being useless.
what's their grammar like? Any good
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

what's their grammar like? Any good
prolly
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:22 am

prolly
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like its thrown a con rod off the big end to me...but hard to tell from the photos.
Is the correct answer!

Threw it out the front casing, and in turn the piece of casing went straight thru the radiator ...

Kinda made a racket TBH.

Got a 67,000k recorded replacement delivered for $500 and my sons friend did the swap for $250.

Coulda been a lot more I spose, but yeah good ole Toyota eh! ...
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:12 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the type of car and what it's used for. Small engines tend to have to run a lot faster to get enough power and consequently will wear out sooner. A Getz or similar sized car with 120,000 on the clock is probably getting a bit weary: a Falcon with the same mileage is just getting into its stride.

No-one in their right mind would buy a small car for long distance touring, so high mileage on such a car is usually indicative of a lot of stop-start motoring which wears it out faster. My 4yo Jeep has done over 25,000/yr, but that includes regular cross-country trips (Brisbane-Adelaide, Brisbane-Sydney, Brisbane-Alice Springs, etc) which are a lot less wearing than driving around the city.

Formula 1 engines do around 5,000km/yr and are then totally stuffed. Trucks do 100,000/yr and keep that up for decades.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:50 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Any manufacturer can suffer a component failure, a friend had to have his BMW replaced with a new one after they had changed the engine and transmission and various other major parts, in the end the only thing they could do was give him a new car.

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Coulda been a lot more I spose, but yeah good ole Toyota eh! ...
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

hater is an unknown quantity at this point

BMW is far away from qualitiy at the moment.... My former employer had different models in use...And the malfunction and failures rised three times when the new versions arrived....
And we were on their "priority list" as they are very keen that EMS (especially in their hometown ) uses their cars....

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hater
BMW is far away from qualitiy at the moment.... My former employer had different models in use...And the malfunction and failures rised three times when the new versions arrived....
And we were on their "priority list" as they are very keen that EMS (especially in their hometown ) uses their cars....

Highly variable I reckon.

We drive everywhere yet only put on 14k a year. Years ago, Abc diamond suggested that Australians don't necessarily drive stellar distances (but when they do it's often country miles- I know which kind of k's I'd rather have).

I don't mind cars with higher mileages.
Seems to be a big difference between a car with 200k and 300k.
At one end if the scale you can have a sweetly running car - at the other a lot of components heading south.

If I had a car with 250k + I would want to be putting the ks on, not someone else.

Stacks of high mileage Holdens and Fords - I don't necessarily subscribe to the view that Japanese cars are ultra-holy! Having said that the camry from the late 90s is supposed to be particularly good and some people swear by them.

My Jap ute needed a main seal at 340k and I only got rid of it because I got a car for 300 bucks with a RWC!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
John Hughes Hyundai here in Perth are curently advertising new Getzs (in runout but a great little car), fully loaded and with a 5 year warranty for about this price.

I'm sure there are similar deals in Victoria.
I bought the 'entry level' Getz seven years ago and I'm more than happy with it. Great build and ride quality for the price, and with power steering, power windows, power mirrors and A/C as standard I don't think you could ask for more in a city car. Though my litle "city" car has taken me to most of Australia including trips from NSW to Ayres Rock filled with all my personal possesions and two trips from NSW to Cairns going 'up the guts'.

Did I mention the gas mileage ??? .........It's a top little car

Last edited by Hino; Nov 23rd 2011 at 4:47 am. Reason: Because I can
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
I bought the 'entry level' Getz seven years ago and I'm more than happy with it. Great build and ride quality for the price, and with power steering, power windows, power mirrors and A/C as standard I don't think you could ask for more in a city car. Though my litle "city" car has taken me to most of Australia including trips from NSW to Ayres Rock filled with all my personal possesions and two trips from NSW to Cairns going 'up the guts'.

When I was over in SA a few years ago, I hired a 1.6l Getz. I loved it. It was like shit of a shovel and great fun to drive.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:35 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree more, we bought one new 4 years ago and it has never given a moments trouble and is much better build quality than other cars we looked at.

Originally Posted by Hino

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.