Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many Km's on a used car is considered ok?

How many Km's on a used car is considered ok?

Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about
Default How many Km's on a used car is considered ok?

Back in the UK when buying a used car they used to say as a rule of thumb you didn't really want it to have done more than 10,000 miles per year on the clock. Is there a similar amount when applying that to km with Aus cars? Obviously I know first and foremost you want to look at a good service history, and that car's here drive further and age a bit more gracefully due to the better climates, so you certainly couldn't apply the 10,000 miles (16,000km) rule out here, but interested to know if there is an Aus specific figure used as an unwritten rule? (I'll be buying in Melbourne if that makes a difference).

(Specifically thinking 2005/06 hatchbacks, auto transmission, between $10-13k, Japanese models, or Holden.)

Thanks.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many Km's on a used car is considered ok?

Cars in WA hold their value .... What with no MOT rquirements and with the kinder conditions your vehicle is running under the engines and bodywork appear to last so much longer...

Higher than we would consider usual mileage is usual....

Longer distances here...

The Egg (mitsubishi Delica... Looks like an egg on wheels.. Hence HIS mates have dubbed it the Egg) has done 400,000 kms... And is running strong...

But beware grey imports... Can be hard to insure and the miles on their clocks may have been harder miles than aussie miles..
Old Nov 15th 2011, 2:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

There are just way too many variables really, it depends on make and model, the way the car was driven and serviced and where in the country it is from. Modern cars don't tend to rust like older cars so the 'better' weather thing isn't so important. I would think that anything in the region of 15,000k's a year would be considered normal and acceptable.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
(Specifically thinking 2005/06 hatchbacks, auto transmission, between $10-13k, Japanese models, or Holden.)

Thanks.
John Hughes Hyundai here in Perth are curently advertising new Getzs (in runout but a great little car), fully loaded and with a 5 year warranty for about this price.

I'm sure there are similar deals in Victoria.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Back in the UK when buying a used car they used to say as a rule of thumb you didn't really want it to have done more than 10,000 miles per year on the clock. Is there a similar amount when applying that to km with Aus cars? Obviously I know first and foremost you want to look at a good service history, and that car's here drive further and age a bit more gracefully due to the better climates, so you certainly couldn't apply the 10,000 miles (16,000km) rule out here, but interested to know if there is an Aus specific figure used as an unwritten rule? (I'll be buying in Melbourne if that makes a difference).

Thanks.
I think 25,000 kms per year is the average.

Last edited by spartacus; Nov 15th 2011 at 4:04 am.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 3:51 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

2005 model? $10k?...

You should be looking at less than 80,000K on the clock ($10k is quite a bit for that age so you can be fussy). This is where it starts getting interesting too - since 80,000K service is typically a big one with some major work done it might be better to get one with 85,000 on clock post service rather than 78,000 pre-service.

As for Toyota v Holden - No contest. When you're looking at cars of that age the extra reliability and cheaper servicing costs of Toyota make it a *must* in my opinion (I will probably never buy a non-Japanese vehicle again after experiements with Landrover and Holden and hearing tales of others with Peugeot, Ford and Ducati compared to my Toyota and Kawasaki experiences that have been trouble free!).

It may cost you an extra $1-2K for a toyota over a Holden of same age condition - but might well pay for itself at the first service!
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota's are not even run in until 200,000 kms!

My Hiace camper van is 20 years old and has 350,000 kms on it. No way I would change it for any of this Fiat rubbish that Winnebago and the likes are using as their chassis now.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:30 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Toyota's are not even run in until 200,000 kms!
The *norm* i'm sure, but missus's Corolla after only 118,000k...

lol
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:37 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually would pick a Hyundai before practically everything else but Toyota next and Holden would be somewhere behind Trabant.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
The *norm* i'm sure, but missus's Corolla after only 118,000k...

lol
There you have it 'missus and cars' The engine has a dipstick for a reason!
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:59 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed! ... but how to read it now ?!?!

Oh and of course ... that's MY job! ...
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:27 am
Banned

I find most cars seem to have the dipstick located behind the steering wheel.

Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:28 am
Banned

Average is apparently 16,000k's.

Originally Posted by spartacus
I think 25,000 kms per year is the average.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:22 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
wot? wot we lookin at there
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
wot? wot we lookin at there
Looks like its thrown a con rod off the big end to me...but hard to tell from the photos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.