Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How many Expats are happy out there?

How many Expats are happy out there?

Old Oct 23rd 2002, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: How many Expats are happy out there?

Originally posted by adelaidegirl:

Hi Juls, I've lived in Adelaide for nearly 13 years and love it here. I've visited Melbourne, Gold Coast, Perth, Sydney and Tassie, and they were all miles better than where I was living in the UK (just outside Portsmouth). I guess it depends on where you are coming from, if you have squillions and live in a beautiful stone mansion in the Cotswolds, you might not appreciate the lifestyle improvements that Australia can offer as much as someone coming from a run-down council estate might. Australia isn't perfect, but it is a bloody sight closer to perfection than some parts of the UK. Attitude is everything, you seem to have the sort of positive outlook and sense of humour that will help you through any initial hurdles (ie homesickness, don't think you won't get it, you will, but you can work through it). adelaidegirl

Hi I live in Canada and you have the right stuff good luck to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya know the one thing that grates me here... as in Aus is that the 'Poms' do not whinge no where near as much as the Aussies and I am not afraid to make this known to them much to their disgust lol

Alas it is part of life and we are all entitled to say/do what we want with our lives, my attitude is... as I said to my hubby when he came home from starting a new job and said that there was a woman there that would not stop whinging.... at least you have company darling

Yvonne

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Look the word whinge and Pom are linked why? think about it lots of good people like yourself come to Australia and start off saying "we dont do that in UK , and we do this in UK" when pointing out how backward Australia is.
I will lose out big time going back ,thanks to fall in Micky Mouse Dollar its not a problem now lifes too short never been without income.
Must admit I have been Adelaide and to quote her in charge "This is a dump lets go Perth", sorry but we all must have a boss.
Hope you settle and get on well , we have tended to look back and going back on holiday made us more homesick for the landscape and family .
We have done all that we can here reasonable home good jobs , but we had that in UK the life here is so limited we have out grown it mores the pity.
PS The Aussies love to rubbish the Poms get ready to snap back at can be very interesting.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 10:03 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ywoods:
Ya know the one thing that grates me here... as in Aus is that the 'Poms' do not whinge no where near as much as the Aussies and I am not afraid to make this known to them much to their disgust lol

Alas it is part of life and we are all entitled to say/do what we want with our lives, my attitude is... as I said to my hubby when he came home from starting a new job and said that there was a woman there that would not stop whinging.... at least you have company darling

Yvonne

I work with an Aussie who is the biggest whinger I have ever met. But I like the guy because at least he gets off his arse and tries to change those very things he whinges about. That's difficult to do when yer a lazy sod like most of us are!
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 11:53 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ywoods:

Yvonne

Aussies whinge never , how would the dreamers understand that?
Sounds like you are getting to know the locals all wind and piss, best of luck.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Yes a sence of humour does help shame the Aussies have none

Funny, that is what the aussies say about the poms!!!!
Old Oct 25th 2002, 6:17 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by suebo
Yes a sence of humour does help shame the Aussies have none

Funny, that is what the aussies say about the poms!!!!

I do think Aussies and Poms have different sence of humour ,but at lest we can laugh at each other.
Old Oct 25th 2002, 8:11 am
dp
Just Joined

dp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default to pommie bastard

(and the other whinging fraternity)

You are obviously unhappy in Oz and you seem to have had a bad time at it but do you need to continually preach the bad word about australia at every posting!

If you are that unhappy here just go back - I'm sure no-one is holding a gun to your head to make you stay. Are you sure its your experience that has given you this attitude (or maybe its your attitude that has given you this experience)

Everyone has to make decisions in life but most of us make the decision and then DEAL WITH IT.

And yes - I am an aussie - with a partner who is an expat - and yes its hard trying to settle in - but compared to the life we had together in the UK - we believe it is holds many more possibilities. But thats our opinion and I'm not going to repeatedly go on this site and preach about our situation (save that for when someone REALLY winds me up!)

ok - sermon over
Old Oct 25th 2002, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: to pommie bastard

PB... you are not one of those whinging POMS r u?????