Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who have you told about emigrating?

Who have you told about emigrating?

Old Oct 23rd 2002, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Who have you told about emigrating?

Dear All,

Just interested to know if you have told work colleagues, all your family, close friends etc about hoping to emigrate.

If you havn't when do you plan to tell them ?

We have only told a couple of people as the process takes such a long time. The sooner you tell your family the more they worry about it. Mind you I suppose you begin to feel a bit guilty about deceiving people after a while.

Tina
Old Oct 24th 2002, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who have you told about emigrating?

Hey, we didn't HAVE to tell anyone, our 6-year old daughter took care of THAT! And we haven't even put in our applications yet (New Zealand)!
Old Oct 24th 2002, 5:33 am
shellypuss

Talking

Hiya,

We have not told any friends or family - only our growing number of new friends from this forum.

Feel very sneaky, but feel it would be tempting fate to tell anyone before our decision. If our decision is positive am really scared of telling my boss.

Oohh well not like he will follow me to Australia to register his disgust !!!!!!

Good luck to everyone.

Shelly

Old Oct 24th 2002, 7:30 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. We told our parents straight away, just to give it time to sink in! friends, we havent told yet, mainly for the fact that we are always havin hair-brained ideas and they probably wouldnt believe us!!!, so we are waiting till a bit nearer the time. i had to tell my employer to get a reference for skills assessment. i understand what you mean about feeling sneaky, but at the end of the day its your life.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:22 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Dear All,

Just interested to know if you have told work colleagues, all your family, close friends etc about hoping to emigrate.

Tina
the only people we have told are a few friends who are in Australia, and a couple in the UK who have spent a considerable time out there and are thinking of emigrating themselves. These people have and are very helpful with their insight and experiences, rather than being on an emotional level with their advice.

none of our families know, but I think a few might suspect something when we go to Sydney in Feb for a 'holiday'.

whilst it is not certain (ie before the PR visa are granted), we will not tell anyone else.
Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely everyone bar my boss (til 6 weeks ago). Stupid really as just means that the total times that we have been asked 'when are you going' is now approaching the million mark.

Shame after 2 years we still cant give them an answer!
Old Oct 24th 2002, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
Dear All,

We have only told a couple of people as the process takes such a long time. The sooner you tell your family the more they worry about it. Mind you I suppose you begin to feel a bit guilty about deceiving people after a while.

Tina
Hi Tina,

We were going to keep it quiet for a while but then my big mouthed hubby "sorry darling but it's true" couldn't resist telling a few of his mates. Once word gets out everyone knows! But now we're glad they all know it's a weight off our minds plus rellies have more time to come to terms with it. We couldn't have just sprung it on them all and then buggered off.

Now our 3 and a half year old keeps saying "when we go to Australia" all the time now, bless her ! So we couldn't have kept it quiet even if we'd planned to. (Everyone knows what children are like with secrets)!

I suppose everyones situations are different, and that they'll deal with it in there own way. Personally I think it's best to be upfront "especially now everyone and his dog knows, bet even BB dog knows too"

Good luck to those who still have to break the news !
It's a hard thing to do but it needs to be done sooner or later.

Julie & Darren
Adelaide by early 2003
Old Oct 24th 2002, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

This is a tricky one.
We decided to tell our parents about 2 months after applying for the main visa (skilled ind). We found it very hard not to talk about a decision that would change our lives forever. We couldn't hold off any longer and visited both sets of parents on the same day to break the news. My parents (Paul's) just came back from Australia visiting my sister in Brisbane for 2 months, and could understand why we wanted to give it a go. Annie's parents were also positive, and could also understand why. (They migrated to Perth in the 70's, but came back because it was to hot!)

The first people we told were our bosses (for work references). Close friends and work colleagues were next. We had mixed reactions, but most were positive with a GO FOR IT attitude.

We are now nearly a year into the process, and have just packed the house and are living with Annie's parents until the magic letter come through the door.

You just get used to the waiting……..

Paul
Old Oct 24th 2002, 7:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by shellypuss

If our decision is positive am really scared of telling my boss.

Shelly

Listen, if your decision is positive just tell your boss to go and f**k him or herself.
Old Oct 25th 2002, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Sound advice young man!

Might not be such a good idea if you want a reference though!!!!

LOL
Old Oct 25th 2002, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Our idea of keeping it secret hasn't quite worked out, we went to our 5 yr olds parents eve and the teacher told us she had said we are moving to Australia!! We just mumbled some stupid excuse!
I suppose kids are not too good at keeping secrets.

My sister-in-law - who is one of the only family members who knows told my mum. My mum broke down and was bawling, I did not know what to say so I made something up again! She knows in her heart that we want to go, but I wont confirm it yet, as it is such a long way off. It does make you feel guilty though.

I don't think anyone will be surprised when we tell them, they will sort of expect it from us. I expect lots of us on this site are similar in that way. We get bored easily and want something different!

I have enjoyed reading your tales- keep 'em coming!

Tina
Old Oct 25th 2002, 12:42 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

initially we weren'y going to tell anyone because this is the 3rd time weve been 'gonna' do it. we thought that everyone would say..'well you didnt go last time'.
I know what you mean about the kids. our 10 yr old told my mum!!

my dad and kevins parents are all dead.
we hadn't told kevins brother and sisters but the longer it went on the worse it was.
i had a phone call yesterday from kevins cousin who knows now because kev let it slip to her dad.....doh....she told me that she didnt know it was a secret and has now told his sister!!!!...not nice being 3rd hand huh!!...would we have told them if we knew this was going to happen?...dunno...... his sister apparently said 'yeah i'll believe it when i see it!!'.....so now the secret's out.

to cap it all my older brother died suddenly last sunday.....20th october age 44 and now im feeling guilty about going at all but thats because its all so raw. should i or shouldnt i go because i'll leave just my mum and younger brother (26 and still at home).....i still want to and couldnt possibly let my hubby down again after the last twice cos it was me who chickened out before....

Old Oct 25th 2002, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think if your brother was alive he would have wished you all the luck in the world. If you dont like it you've lost nothing... but it could be the best thing you'll ever do.

See you in Perth.

My one regret will be not being able to visit my dad's grave- but i know he would have been thrilled (and probably come with us).