Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:21 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

No problem here
Originally Posted by ebo1608
Pennytel is cheaper but they are having loads of problems at the moment.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:25 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think using a UK based VOIP provider might degrade the quality if the servers are based in the UK due to the lag.
I thought that would be the case but I've made a few calls with it now and the lag is no worse than a POTS call, and the call quality is great - I haven't even got around to configuring QoS on my router so far either.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by wmoore
Before you do that, bear in mind that you can leave most of those settings as is to be honest. The important ones to try are:

Proxy: localphone.com
Outbound proxy: proxy.localphone.com
Use Outbound Proxy: Yes
Register: Yes
Register Expires: 240
Display Name: your name
User ID: your Localphone number in full e.g. 441642xxxxxx
Password: your SIP password
Auth ID: your SIP ID

Get your SIP ID and password from http://www.localphone.com/settings after logging on to your dashboard. Those settings should be enough to get you started. Your Grandstream should have a default dial plan configured, if not you could try this one that I use:
Code:
(000S0|106S0|183[12]x.|1[389]xxxxxxxxS0|13[1-9]xxxS0|0[23478]xxxxxxxxS0|[2-9]xxxxxxxS0|001xxxx.S5|111S0|*xx.)
Good luck

Ok, so I gave it another shot after I found a set up guide on a website, Voiptalk I think it was. Anyway it told me that when I pressed option 2 on my phone it would tell me the IP address and that's what I should type in the address bar and it would take me to the website to configure it which was:
192.168.2.7 and the page would not come up. It was on Dynamic IP mode and so I changed it to Static and it still wouldn't work. If it helps the other addresses are:
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway:0.0.0.0
DNS Server: 192.168.2.1
none of these make any sense to me apart from the last one which is the site that let's me configure my Belkin Modem

And relax..............
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:45 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
Ok, so I gave it another shot after I found a set up guide on a website, Voiptalk I think it was. Anyway it told me that when I pressed option 2 on my phone it would tell me the IP address and that's what I should type in the address bar and it would take me to the website to configure it which was:
192.168.2.7 and the page would not come up. It was on Dynamic IP mode and so I changed it to Static and it still wouldn't work. If it helps the other addresses are:
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Gateway:0.0.0.0
DNS Server: 192.168.2.1
none of these make any sense to me apart from the last one which is the site that let's me configure my Belkin Modem

And relax..............
OK if the auto-attendant told you 192.168.2.7, then that's what it should be. It would pay to leave it on dynamic until you have got into it proper. Turn the thing off then back on, then go for option 2 from the handset again and try again. Also confirm that your computer is in the same IP range by going to Start --> Run and typing cmd. Then in the box that appears, type ipconfig and press return. Check that your IP address is 192.168.2.x.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Can anybody put me in the picture here regarding how on earth i set this thing up.
I have signed up to pennytel and i have the necessary hardware.
They sent me some settings in an email but i have no idea what the hell i'm supposed to do with them.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Jazzys