Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:57 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

Just thought I'd share with you ... Since moving house, I didn't get any regular phone lines installed, as I solely use VoIP now. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me before but due to the wonders of the interwebs, I signed up with a UK VoIP provider and have a UK phone number. I had to buy a VoIP ATA (basically a device that lets you plug in regular telephones but make calls over the net) at $50 off ebay. Mrs M called her folks tonight (using a regular telephone handset) and the call quality was good. Better still, it only cost $0.85 for a 45 minute call, which is way less than we had been paying previously.

And because we have a UK number, the rellies can call us for the cost of a local call too. Win-win I am using Localphone, though there are certainly others available. And if you don't want to splash out on an ATA, you can download X-Lite for free and use it on the PC with a headset.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to make cheap phone calls to the UK

Yes we've done exactly the same thing as well. It is definitely cheaper for phone calls back and from the UK but occasionally we'll have someone in the UK dial the wrong number and call our house in the middle of the night!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:56 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
Yes we've done exactly the same thing as well. It is definitely cheaper for phone calls back and from the UK but occasionally we'll have someone in the UK dial the wrong number and call our house in the middle of the night!!!
I have to confess that when I set the number up, I wanted to test it but it was about 1130 Friday night. I was thinking "I don't want to call anyone at this time of night". Then I had a brainwave! I thought if I call my old work, all I want to do is hear the voicemail message. Then of course somebody answered ...... I thought I had this timezone thing cracked too, though in my defence I was very tired from moving boxes around all day
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We had someone call late last night from the UK thinking they'd dialled some digital TV helpline. I explained that she'd dialled the wrong number but she still wanted me to help her out. I was going to tell her that she'd dialled Australia but thought she'd never believe me - especially with my accent!!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
We had someone call late last night from the UK thinking they'd dialled some digital TV helpline. I explained that she'd dialled the wrong number but she still wanted me to help her out. I was going to tell her that she'd dialled Australia but thought she'd never believe me - especially with my accent!!
We do the same with Skype - for national calls/sms as well as uk calls. Currently using laptop, webcam (if video wanted too) and headset/mic for clarity or voice only calls.

Even got my technophobe MIL using it now.

If calling a landline its 2c a min (uk or oz)
SMS 12c each
call another skype account Free
also have calls forwarded to a landline or mobile (fees though not too bad)
You can get uk landline number too (in subscription with free landline calls incl)
and can use an access code from other phones to get skype rates away from home (in subscription with free landline calls incl)

Can use computer - usb connected phone handset with computer on - special phone not requiring computer on - even special mobiles do it.

oh the software is free and really simple to download
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:57 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Safin
We do the same with Skype - for national calls/sms as well as uk calls. Currently using laptop, webcam (if video wanted too) and headset/mic for clarity or voice only calls.

Even got my technophobe MIL using it now.

If calling a landline its 2c a min (uk or oz)
SMS 12c each
call another skype account Free
also have calls forwarded to a landline or mobile (fees though not too bad)
You can get uk landline number too (in subscription with free landline calls incl)
and can use an access code from other phones to get skype rates away from home (in subscription with free landline calls incl)

Can use computer - usb connected phone handset with computer on - special phone not requiring computer on - even special mobiles do it.

oh the software is free and really simple to download
We've been using Skype for ages too but this way is even cheaper and means we don't have to be tied to a computer.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:05 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good.
We use www.jajah.com

Calls between registered users are FREE and we make many long calls every week for next to nothing or free if it's one of our Jajah user buddies.

Here's what we saved... This month JAJAH saved you GBP 19.16 - that's GBP 1419.02 since you joined.
Just copied that from the web site.

Also have a Skype out number.
Call a local number here in Perth via landline or mobile and all the call to the UK are free upto 8000 mins per month. All you pay is a monthly subscription to Skype.
If you get free local calls in you telpehone package, that's all the calls you can make for 2.85 Euro's per month.
I call via my mobile all the time and select one of my stored speed dials, and calls are 1st class in quality. Just perfect for the journey home... have a half our chat with my parents on the mobile.

Let me know if anyone else uses this and has good results.
Neil.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

mazyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought an OZCALL voucher form Woolworths, It cost me $50. I phone UK and Ireland and it costs me about $1 an hour. It never seems to run out! All you do is dial the token number first, then select a language followed by the receivers phone number. I have tried Skype on the computer but got put off by the satellite echo and delay which makes it harder to talk.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Does anybody use a SIP or IP phone? I've been looking them up, but not sure if they're worth it
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Voip phones are the way to go methinks

Get a internet connection but with no phone linehttp://www.iinet.net.au/freezone/#folder=games&id=xbox

Plug phone into a voip router/modem and get a 3rd party phone discount thingymajig for around $5/15 a month http://www.pennytel.com/call_plans_compare.htmland bingo lingo!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:36 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

https://www.mynetfone.com.au/offers/...neosaver-plan/

FREE untimed calls to UK.....

I've been on this plan for nearly 3 years now and I think have only once had a monthly phone bill greater than $10.

It a $5 flat fee - but then unless you live on the phone calls are free other than mobiles (15c a minute).... I havent seen a cheaper phone plan anywhere else.

(oh and quality is not an issue - its great)
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

These voip phones I'm finding all seem to be for Skype is there any that you can use for any service like the one's mentioned on here? and not to sound thick but I don't know very much about theses phones, do you have to get a special modem for them? the phones I've been looking at are wireless and I was planning on taking my Belkin Modem over with me.
Before I got my TalkTalk package with free international calls I used to use SIP discount which works through your home phone is that no good because you need a home phone line and that's what we're trying to avoid?

I'm confused!!

I must say when we were in Oz I rang my dad in Spain off my mobile and he said I sounded like I was next door but when I rang him off the landline there was a delay and quality wasn't very good.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
These voip phones I'm finding all seem to be for Skype is there any that you can use for any service like the one's mentioned on here? and not to sound thick but I don't know very much about theses phones, do you have to get a special modem for them? the phones I've been looking at are wireless and I was planning on taking my Belkin Modem over with me.
Before I got my TalkTalk package with free international calls I used to use SIP discount which works through your home phone is that no good because you need a home phone line and that's what we're trying to avoid?

I'm confused!!

I must say when we were in Oz I rang my dad in Spain off my mobile and he said I sounded like I was next door but when I rang him off the landline there was a delay and quality wasn't very good.
We use Engin - $20 a month and all our calls are free. We don't need a voip phone with it - just our regular house phone connected through the Engin voice box. No phone line needed.

Rudi
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rudi
We use Engin - $20 a month and all our calls are free. We don't need a voip phone with it - just our regular house phone connected through the Engin voice box. No phone line needed.

Rudi
So how does your internet work?

Can you receive calls through this box aswell?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
So how does your internet work?

Can you receive calls through this box aswell?
yep, just like a normal phone - local telephone number. The only difference is the dial tone which sounds slightly different.

Rudi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.