Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long till it feels "real"?

How long till it feels "real"?

Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:44 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default How long till it feels "real"?

We've lived in Aus nine months now and from day one we've been very lucky. We love everything Australian. Don't get me wrong, it's not utopia, nowhere in the world is, and Aus has it's own problems ...just like UK. There's still crime and we still have to work to pay the bills and you have great days and you have shitty ones too.

But then there are times you see something, an animal or a bird or a beautiful view or you simply find somewhere lovely to eat and drink, maybe overlooking the ocean with clear blue skies or go to a party and you look around and there's Aussies, Kiwi's, Scotts, Welsh, Irish, Italian, Greek...etc,etc........and you all have a few belly laughs ....and then you suddenly realise you're not on your own after all......and you can make friends....

I realise we are lucky. This is not the same for everyone. Homesickness or "people sickness" can be an emotinal cancer that eats away at you and makes your stay in Aus seem like tourture. I appreciate not everyone is so fortunate.However we've found ways to overcome this, a way to communicate to our family and friends in UK and of course we miss them deeply, but then we knew this was "the fly in the ointment" before we came here ...and we've learned to work round it. That's not to say we are "hard" or "incensitive" to our feelings. Quite the opposite. We "felt" what it would be like to leave our special friends and family before we left...and now we are able to put it into context within our new lives.

For us every month it gets better and better and we keep saying to ourselves "are we really here?....are we really this lucky?" It feels strange that it's been this easy. We keep thinking we'll wake up to the "dark side" of Aus

We weren't exactly spring chickens either when we made this life changing decision to move to Aus and we had a great life in UK with great jobs and excellent salaries. We've not exactly had an easy ride of the move to Aus either. Just like most if not everyone on here, we gave up a LOT to come to Aus.

This is not a case of rose tinted glasses. We are not that stupid. And we see the faults in Aus too. Only an idiot could miss them. Nor am I trying to be smug. But what I would like to know is....when is that swing going to come and hit us from behind? It feels like Australia was made for us.... and vice versa. We never expected it to feel this easy or this good, so soon. Yeh, its not all one sided. We've adapted too and learned not to constantly compare and criticise....after all... we chose to leave UK. The other thing is ....we also expected Aus to be very different from UK... and we weren't disappointed. It is

Do you remember as a kid when your mum used to say "now stop giggling....cos everything will end in tears"

Well that's how it feels...

Is this normal?

How long does it take for it all to feel real?

How long does it take for you to get used to everything and take it for granted?

How long does it take to stop living in wonderment .....that everything you thought you'd love about Aus is finally coming true? [even though you accept the crappy bits]

Did anyone feel like this and then feel the opposite when here?

Or did anyone feel "at home" in Aus from day one?

OK....gotta go......I'm off to get me white cardi that ties up at the back ......and some nice councelling sessions with a man that keeps saying "there, there my little Pommie fruitloop".....oops....must go...... I can hear that lovely white van coming to pick me up now

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Apr 10th 2005 at 4:48 am. Reason: ..doh 4got summut.....

Old Apr 10th 2005, 4:57 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: How long till it feels "real"?

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
We never expected it to feel this easy or this good, so soon. Yeh, its not all one sided. We've adapted too and learned not to constantly compare and criticise....after all... we chose to leave UK. The other thing is ....we also expected Aus to be very different from UK... and we weren't disappointed. It is
I think that the above quote that you made, says a lot.

Those that compare and criticise, all the time, will find it harder to feel at home.

Those that expect it be be like the UK, will be dissapointed, or extremely happy, depending on how one looks at it, and what part of the UK they come from

Old Apr 10th 2005, 5:14 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think that the above quote that you made, says a lot.

Those that compare and criticise, all the time, will find it harder to feel at home.

Those that expect it be be like the UK, will be dissapointed, or extremely happy, depending on how one looks at it, and what part of the UK they come from
Good points ABCD. Like you once said too, the first time round in Aus you didn'tlike it [Sydney I think?]and then you went to UK and said you didn't feel like that was home either. I believe you then came back after 10 years and second time round it was Qld, which you loved. I think you also mentioned previously your attitude had changed i.e maybe there was nothing wrong with Sydney but maybe you didn't fit in or vice versa? Just goes to show that maybe the key is to try different areas within Aus until you find one you like. Of course for some Aus just doesn't "flick that swich" and for them a return to UK is best. I respect their choice as it's not everyone's cup o tea.

About your comment re depends on what part of the UK you came from: That's very true if for instance you lived in an awful part of UK then anywhere in Aus may be better? But in our case we came from a lovely part of the UK. We lived in "Bronte" country surrounded by farms, fields and open countryside and it was beautiful in its own right. But it was different and is different to Aus. And that's the thing. We can't and don't compare it to Aus. The scenery, the weather, the animals and the people were different. No worse, no better but different.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 5:24 am
ABCDiamond

Good points ABCD. Like you once said too, the first time round in Aus you didn'tlike it [Sydney I think?]and then you went to UK and said you didn't feel like that was home either. I believe you then came back after 10 years and second time round it was Qld, which you loved. I think you also mentioned previously your attitude had changed i.e maybe there was nothing wrong with Sydney but maybe you didn't fit in or vice versa? Just goes to show that maybe the key is to try different areas within Aus until you find one you like. Of course for some Aus just doesn't "flick that swich" and for them a return to UK is best. I respect their choice as it's not everyone's cup o tea.

About your comment re depends on what part of the UK you came from: That's very true if for instance you lived in an awful part of UK then anywhere in Aus may be better? But in our case we came from a lovely part of the UK. We lived in "Bronte" country surrounded by farms, fields and open countryside and it was beautiful in its own right. But it was different and is different to Aus. And that's the thing. We can't and don't compare it to Aus. The scenery, the weather, the animals and the people were different. No worse, no better but different.
Yep, On my first try here (Sydney), I was one of those that compared and criticised all the time !!
And I became a moaning, criticising, anti-Australian pain in the backside to a few people. Good job we didn't have these forums back then

Old Apr 10th 2005, 5:47 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yep, On my first try here (Sydney), I was one of those that compared and criticised all the time !!
And I became a moaning, criticising, anti-Australian pain in the backside to a few people. Good job we didn't have these forums back then
ROFPML

Actually ABCD.....moaning is not the problem. The problem is to moan and do nothing about it. You did. You went back to UK.

My son for instance has decided Aus is not for him. So he's decided to finish school and the at end of year 12 when he's 18, he's going to gain citizenship and then go back to UK. He may stay in UK and gain an apprentiship or go to Uni or come back to Aus to go to Uni. He has decided this himself and thought it through already. He's happy for us to stay here as he says he'd like to live in Aus when he's older and has earned the money in the UK. At least he's made a decision as to what to do and I admire him for it. We will support him whatever he decides.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Masadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura aboutMasadal has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: How long till it feels "real"?

i like your style phoenix,you have the sort of attitude i hope to take with me.
Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:54 am
Badge

nice post mate Phoenix.

B

Old Apr 10th 2005, 6:58 am
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Well we fell exactly the same, as we drive down the hill from where we live and look at the ocean , my husbands always says are we really here and will it every hit us. It is for us as well, now two months pregnant as well, we have really settled and only been here 11 months now.

Good Luck " It is all real, it's just different"

Clevs
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:08 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Cheers guys...I really appreciate your feedback.

I thought it might help some people see it's not all doom and gloom this DIMIA process and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. For most of us....... all the upset is worth it in the end.

Good luck to those going through the process

Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:12 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by clevs
Hi

Well we fell exactly the same, as we drive down the hill from where we live and look at the ocean , my husbands always says are we really here and will it every hit us. It is for us as well, now two months pregnant as well, we have really settled and only been here 11 months now.

Good Luck " It is all real, it's just different"

Clevs
Fantastic news all round. You're happy in your new life and a bambino on the way too. Great new life ahead by the looks of it.

Congratulations and good luck with what your future holds for you, hubby and baby

Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:14 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Masadal
i like your style phoenix,you have the sort of attitude i hope to take with me.
Attitude is a state of mind. Im sure you'll do OK

Good luck!

Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:16 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Attitude is a state of mind. Im sure you'll do OK

Good luck!
Brilliantly positive post. I'd have sent you karma if I had any to send
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:17 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Badge
nice post mate Phoenix.

B
Thanks Badge. We're very lucky aren't we cos we love Aus withoiut even trying too hard.

I really wish we could bottle whatever it is that gives that buzz. I'd send some of it back to me mates and family back home cos I'd love to share it

Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:21 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by fraser
Brilliantly positive post. I'd have sent you karma if I had any to send
Thanks fraser. Really appreciate your feedback. Sometimes reassurance helps to see we're going in the right direction

No probs re Karma. It like getting a card; I much prefer the words to the picture

Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How long till it feels "real"?

What a great thread that's cheered me up no end this morning its really refreshing to see.
I have been a bit down latley from one thing and another and seeing this makes me excited about going to Oz again.
You sound to me as though you really do have the right atitude and I think you will be one of those that really settles.May the good life continue.
Dreamaway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.