Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long till it feels "real"?

How long till it feels "real"?

Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:46 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: How long till it feels "real"?

Originally Posted by Merlot
Just tried to karma you for that but given it all away today. Sorry

Great post, I think I had waves of good times but never felt settled as I came into the country on a working 1 year visa with the intention of returning to the UK but stayed in Oz for 7 years.

I am sure my return will be different as it will be when I am ready (I hope).

Thanks for sharing, best of luck
Merlot
Thanks Merlot. I'm glad you liked it. You can borrow the cardi once you're here if you like

I should imagine it's a different mind set when on a one year work visa....but you did last 7 years....and that's an achievement!

Your return will be different next time round ....as you've changed. I don't know of anyone who hasn't changed what they want out of life as a result of evolving experiences. And now you know what to expect from Aus I suspect you'll be happier next time round. Best of luck Merlot.

And happy troll catching [the threat on MB2UK made me PMSL ]

Old Apr 10th 2005, 3:33 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Thanks Merlot. I'm glad you liked it. You can borrow the cardi once you're here if you like

I should imagine it's a different mind set when on a one year work visa....but you did last 7 years....and that's an achievement!

Your return will be different next time round ....as you've changed. I don't know of anyone who hasn't changed what they want out of life as a result of evolving experiences. And now you know what to expect from Aus I suspect you'll be happier next time round. Best of luck Merlot.

And happy troll catching [the threat on MB2UK made me PMSL ]
The troll catching is a lot more interesting than doing VAT returns and Self Assessments that I am supposed to be doing as we speak. I am sure more Trolls will return.

Yes the return will be good, now starting to really enjoy all that is around me here in the UK again.

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Raymond Hogan will become famous soon enough

We've lived in Aus nine months now and from day one we've been very lucky. We love everything Australian. Don't get me wrong, it's not utopia, nowhere in the world is, and Aus has it's own problems ...just like UK. There's still crime and we still have to work to pay the bills and you have great days and you have shitty ones too.

But then there are times you see something, an animal or a bird or a beautiful view or you simply find somewhere lovely to eat and drink, maybe overlooking the ocean with clear blue skies or go to a party and you look around and there's Aussies, Kiwi's, Scotts, Welsh, Irish, Italian, Greek...etc,etc........and you all have a few belly laughs ....and then you suddenly realise you're not on your own after all......and you can make friends....

I realise we are lucky. This is not the same for everyone. Homesickness or "people sickness" can be an emotinal cancer that eats away at you and makes your stay in Aus seem like tourture. I appreciate not everyone is so fortunate.However we've found ways to overcome this, a way to communicate to our family and friends in UK and of course we miss them deeply, but then we knew this was "the fly in the ointment" before we came here ...and we've learned to work round it. That's not to say we are "hard" or "incensitive" to our feelings. Quite the opposite. We "felt" what it would be like to leave our special friends and family before we left...and now we are able to put it into context within our new lives.

For us every month it gets better and better and we keep saying to ourselves "are we really here?....are we really this lucky?" It feels strange that it's been this easy. We keep thinking we'll wake up to the "dark side" of Aus

We weren't exactly spring chickens either when we made this life changing decision to move to Aus and we had a great life in UK with great jobs and excellent salaries. We've not exactly had an easy ride of the move to Aus either. Just like most if not everyone on here, we gave up a LOT to come to Aus.

This is not a case of rose tinted glasses. We are not that stupid. And we see the faults in Aus too. Only an idiot could miss them. Nor am I trying to be smug. But what I would like to know is....when is that swing going to come and hit us from behind? It feels like Australia was made for us.... and vice versa. We never expected it to feel this easy or this good, so soon. Yeh, its not all one sided. We've adapted too and learned not to constantly compare and criticise....after all... we chose to leave UK. The other thing is ....we also expected Aus to be very different from UK... and we weren't disappointed. It is

Do you remember as a kid when your mum used to say "now stop giggling....cos everything will end in tears"

Well that's how it feels...

Is this normal?

How long does it take for it all to feel real?

How long does it take for you to get used to everything and take it for granted?

How long does it take to stop living in wonderment .....that everything you thought you'd love about Aus is finally coming true? [even though you accept the crappy bits]

Did anyone feel like this and then feel the opposite when here?

Or did anyone feel "at home" in Aus from day one?

OK....gotta go......I'm off to get me white cardi that ties up at the back ......and some nice councelling sessions with a man that keeps saying "there, there my little Pommie fruitloop".....oops....must go...... I can hear that lovely white van coming to pick me up now

Hi, you dont know how good living in Oz is until you leave it and cant get back there like we did in 1971 and now it is absolutely impossible for us to get back there, so if you find yourself getting restless or homesick dont throw the towel in come back to u k on holiday,but make sure you take oz citizenship out first, that way it is easier for you go back when you want to.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 12:48 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Phoenixuk2oz...I am an Australian. I was born and bred here, as you know. Even after nearly 37 years, It doesnt feel real to me that I could be living in such a gorgeous country.

I have travelled a lot and have seen some stunning scenery and places and experienced some amazing culture and history. I appreciate every single one of those experiences, however I have always been very happy to be heading "home".

I hope I never ever feel complacent about this place. I, like you know of all the bad points eg the expense, the crime etc. But, in my eyes and in my heart, this will always be the best country in the world, for me.

I have to say, as an Australian, it really does warm my heart to hear the stories of the people coming to live here that fall in love with the place and really enjoy the experience of discovering a life here and all it has to offer.

Keep it up hon....

Hels
xxx
Old Apr 11th 2005, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

ROFPML

Actually ABCD.....moaning is not the problem. The problem is to moan and do nothing about it. You did. You went back to UK.

My son for instance has decided Aus is not for him. So he's decided to finish school and the at end of year 12 when he's 18, he's going to gain citizenship and then go back to UK. He may stay in UK and gain an apprentiship or go to Uni or come back to Aus to go to Uni. He has decided this himself and thought it through already. He's happy for us to stay here as he says he'd like to live in Aus when he's older and has earned the money in the UK. At least he's made a decision as to what to do and I admire him for it. We will support him whatever he decides.
If I may say.... what a smart kid you have, I guess your job is done good on you and your Wife.....
Old Apr 11th 2005, 4:11 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I put my thoughts down about living here in this very confusing post: (forget the word 'forever'!!!)
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287844

At the end of the thread (after a long weekend) it was all a bit clearer and I posted this:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=45
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=46
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=47

I don't know if it feels real. My whole life doesn't fee real. It's all flying by to quickly!!!! It's all very surreal, my whole life, moving so often...
Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:23 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Raymond Hogan
Hi, you dont know how good living in Oz is until you leave it and cant get back there like we did in 1971 and now it is absolutely impossible for us to get back there, so if you find yourself getting restless or homesick dont throw the towel in come back to u k on holiday,but make sure you take oz citizenship out first, that way it is easier for you go back when you want to.
I'm sorry to read you can't get back here Raymond. This must be really frustrating for you. Everyone deserves a second chance. I suppose you've tried everything? Have you sought advice from any of the migration agents on here? The point you made regarding gaining citizenship is very valid and this is something JAJ constantly advises. It's so unfortunate you've learned the hard way

Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:24 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Hels
Phoenixuk2oz...I am an Australian. I was born and bred here, as you know. Even after nearly 37 years, It doesnt feel real to me that I could be living in such a gorgeous country.

I have travelled a lot and have seen some stunning scenery and places and experienced some amazing culture and history. I appreciate every single one of those experiences, however I have always been very happy to be heading "home".

I hope I never ever feel complacent about this place. I, like you know of all the bad points eg the expense, the crime etc. But, in my eyes and in my heart, this will always be the best country in the world, for me.

I have to say, as an Australian, it really does warm my heart to hear the stories of the people coming to live here that fall in love with the place and really enjoy the experience of discovering a life here and all it has to offer.

Keep it up hon....

Hels
xxx
Yep....you Aussies are a proud bunch. And so you should be

Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:26 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by jeannie
If I may say.... what a smart kid you have, I guess your job is done good on you and your Wife.....
Thanks jeannie

Oooooh...lol...and BTW

......and I am the wife [I just write with a deep voice....lol]

Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:29 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Simone
It's all flying by to quickly!!!! It's all very surreal, my whole life, moving so often...
I've also noticed how the time flys here too Simone.

We need a 30 hour day to fit everything in

Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It still does not feel real to me either. Usually I actually forget I am in Australia because I feel at home here. I still can't quite believe that I live here!!

A positive attitude is what makes it work for most people. We all have good and bad times, but we would even if we lived in England! I just know I will have less bad times here so want to stay

Jut try and remember how lucky we are that we have the choice of two great countries to live in, many people would jump at this opportunity.

Australia is for me. The only thing that could make me happier would be if family could join me.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 9:08 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by tinaj
A positive attitude is what makes it work for most people. We all have good and bad times, but we would even if we lived in England!
Tinaj....your posts were the ones that inspired me when we were going through the whole emigration process

Great to hear you're as happy today as you were then

Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sorry to read you can't get back here Raymond. This must be really frustrating for you. Everyone deserves a second chance. I suppose you've tried everything? Have you sought advice from any of the migration agents on here? The point you made regarding gaining citizenship is very valid and this is something JAJ constantly advises. It's so unfortunate you've learned the hard way
Hi Phoenix, We have written to 3 successive Oz prime ministers to get some answers but all they do is pass my letters to the DIMIA and it gets no further,we have virtually given up now because it would cost us to much now and we havent got the finances to go through with it, and that is why from now on I will be an unpaid ambassador for Oz, by giving people as much advice as I can
Old Apr 11th 2005, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: How long till it feels "real"?

We've lived in Aus nine months now and from day one we've been very lucky. We love everything Australian. Don't get me wrong, it's not utopia, nowhere in the world is, and Aus has it's own problems ...just like UK. There's still crime and we still have to work to pay the bills and you have great days and you have shitty ones too.

But then there are times you see something, an animal or a bird or a beautiful view or you simply find somewhere lovely to eat and drink, maybe overlooking the ocean with clear blue skies or go to a party and you look around and there's Aussies, Kiwi's, Scotts, Welsh, Irish, Italian, Greek...etc,etc........and you all have a few belly laughs ....and then you suddenly realise you're not on your own after all......and you can make friends....

I realise we are lucky. This is not the same for everyone. Homesickness or "people sickness" can be an emotinal cancer that eats away at you and makes your stay in Aus seem like tourture. I appreciate not everyone is so fortunate.However we've found ways to overcome this, a way to communicate to our family and friends in UK and of course we miss them deeply, but then we knew this was "the fly in the ointment" before we came here ...and we've learned to work round it. That's not to say we are "hard" or "incensitive" to our feelings. Quite the opposite. We "felt" what it would be like to leave our special friends and family before we left...and now we are able to put it into context within our new lives.

For us every month it gets better and better and we keep saying to ourselves "are we really here?....are we really this lucky?" It feels strange that it's been this easy. We keep thinking we'll wake up to the "dark side" of Aus

We weren't exactly spring chickens either when we made this life changing decision to move to Aus and we had a great life in UK with great jobs and excellent salaries. We've not exactly had an easy ride of the move to Aus either. Just like most if not everyone on here, we gave up a LOT to come to Aus.

This is not a case of rose tinted glasses. We are not that stupid. And we see the faults in Aus too. Only an idiot could miss them. Nor am I trying to be smug. But what I would like to know is....when is that swing going to come and hit us from behind? It feels like Australia was made for us.... and vice versa. We never expected it to feel this easy or this good, so soon. Yeh, its not all one sided. We've adapted too and learned not to constantly compare and criticise....after all... we chose to leave UK. The other thing is ....we also expected Aus to be very different from UK... and we weren't disappointed. It is

Do you remember as a kid when your mum used to say "now stop giggling....cos everything will end in tears"

Well that's how it feels...

Is this normal?

How long does it take for it all to feel real?

How long does it take for you to get used to everything and take it for granted?

How long does it take to stop living in wonderment .....that everything you thought you'd love about Aus is finally coming true? [even though you accept the crappy bits]

Did anyone feel like this and then feel the opposite when here?

Or did anyone feel "at home" in Aus from day one?

OK....gotta go......I'm off to get me white cardi that ties up at the back ......and some nice councelling sessions with a man that keeps saying "there, there my little Pommie fruitloop".....oops....must go...... I can hear that lovely white van coming to pick me up now
Hi again Phoenix,
We were in S.Aus. in 1965 as a £10 Pom and we had to return because my wifes mother was ill,and it made her ill worrying about it all the time and we came back in 1971 with an Aussie daughter, who has now made her 2 boys Aussie by descent, and she keeps talking about coming back to oz, it would break our hearts to see it happen but we would not stop them.
We found that the Aussies are the best people in the world and I just wish we could come back,as the old Aussie saying goes,"YOU CAN TAKE THE MAN OUT OF AUSTRALIA BUT YOU CANT TAKE aUSTRALIA OUT OF THE MAN", which is so true.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 9:24 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Raymond Hogan
Hi again Phoenix,
We were in S.Aus. in 1965 as a £10 Pom and we had to return because my wifes mother was ill,and it made her ill worrying about it all the time and we came back in 1971 with an Aussie daughter, who has now made her 2 boys Aussie by descent, and she keeps talking about coming back to oz, it would break our hearts to see it happen but we would not stop them.
We found that the Aussies are the best people in the world and I just wish we could come back,as the old Aussie saying goes,"YOU CAN TAKE THE MAN OUT OF AUSTRALIA BUT YOU CANT TAKE aUSTRALIA OUT OF THE MAN", which is so true.
Raymond, so sorry to hear your plight and hope that things work out for you, you deserve a break.

Merlot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.