Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long does it take for everyone to "settle" in?

How long does it take for everyone to "settle" in?

Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:44 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long does it take for everyone to "settle" in?

Originally Posted by tenpoundpom
same my 17yr old..has only been here just over two weeks!! hates it and says he's going home!!..does that feeling of belonging ever happen?
Well it might after a bit more than a couple of weeks

...but having said that, we have been here five years and his view hasn't changed in that time.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tenpoundpom
same my 17yr old..has only been here just over two weeks!! hates it and says he's going home!!..does that feeling of belonging ever happen?
Happened to us and our kids even after the total negativity from First Born. She was adamant she was heading back as soon as she was 16. She turned 18 last year and not a mention of even a holiday, too much to do here. A friend of hers who has family in Ireland and friends in Belgium is heading over for part of her gap year, asked if First Born would like to join her, got turned down.

A friend's son had no intention of being here past 16, he's 18 soon and recently told his parents he was staying here, wouldn't mind heading back for a holiday but that he didn't want to live there.

Kids are fickle things.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

tenpoundpom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well it might after a bit more than a couple of weeks

...but having said that, we have been here five years and his view hasn't changed in that time.
five years of my son moaning ..oohh the thought
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

tenpoundpom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Happened to us and our kids even after the total negativity from First Born. She was adamant she was heading back as soon as she was 16. She turned 18 last year and not a mention of even a holiday, too much to do here. A friend of hers who has family in Ireland and friends in Belgium is heading over for part of her gap year, asked if First Born would like to join her, got turned down.

A friend's son had no intention of being here past 16, he's 18 soon and recently told his parents he was staying here, wouldn't mind heading back for a holiday but that he didn't want to live there.

Kids are fickle things.
thats put my hopes up ..i live in hope
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It takes a village to raise a child.
Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know that sounds like a typical Badgism but it's actually quite a well-known African proverb.

Means everyone in a child's life has an impact - not just parents. Hillary Clinton wrote a book with the same title.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
I know that sounds like a typical Badgism but it's actually quite a well-known African proverb.

Means everyone in a child's life has an impact - not just parents. Hillary Clinton wrote a book with the same title.
I don't care who said it, its daft. Children can be raised just as easily in cities as in villages.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:45 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't care who said it, its daft. Children can be raised just as easily in cities as in villages.
It isn't really about where they're raised - the proverb means that more than just the immediate family contributes to a child's upbringing and that 'society' if you like, is also a big factor in how that child will turn out.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Katalyna is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved here in 2006 at the tender age of 25, and I gotta tell ya - I still have moments. Took me probably the better part of 4 years to actually 'get over' moving - was depressed, anxiety, had to see a shrink, etc.

I love Perth more now (except the summer heat, I miss the cold, and the season changes) and I love my DH (he's why I moved here) but I still "suffer" occasionally. You can take the girl out of home but you can't take the home out of the girl?

And it's painful not having my family here. More so than I can probably express. Holidays, Birthdays - the phone and internet are just NOT enough. I've got DH's family sure, but it's really not the same - I want -my- family (but they're too cheap to come out for just a visit even!) Goodness, even typing this is making my eyes water, lol.