Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to settle in Oz?

Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take you to settle in Oz?

It's been 5.5 years and I'm still not sure. We're talking about going back in 2014 (my idea) but I know I would miss Australia. Guess it's the curse of the expat.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:00 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How long did it take you to settle in Oz?

Originally Posted by The Cumbrian
2 seconds. The time it took for me to step off the plane.

Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not long, less than a year, my wife has taken longer but is there now.

I lived in the UK from 1995-2005 and never really settled there, but here it was easy.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:33 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife hasn't settled after 20 odd years and can't wait for us to go back, I grew up here but I'm still very much looking forward to our new life in Somerset. Everyone is different, that's the problem.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:11 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Me too.

It took my Mrs. at least 5 years.
Mine is Aussie-born and she's naturally unsettled as far as I can tell
Old Feb 10th 2012, 7:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Couple of years I suppose. If asked, I couldn't explain what the 'issue' was with Australian in those first couple of years, but I definitely had an 'issue'.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
2 seconds. The time it took for me to step off the plane.

I beat you by one
Old Feb 10th 2012, 9:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I never really felt unsettled in all honesty
What he said.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Marleys Ghost will become famous soon enoughMarleys Ghost will become famous soon enough

Gosh, the only thing that stopped me going back for the first couple of months was the thought of the journey. Even though we had return tickets I couldn't bring myself to change the return date because of the flight.

Our little boy didn't settle well, and couldn't understand why his cousins couldn't see him every day, or at least come over on the weekend.

After a couple of months I was totally overcome by what I can only describe now as grief at the loss of the friendships that I'd 'given up'.

Fast forward three years, two lots of brilliant visitors, a trip back to UK for a wedding, (we visited England mostly, and Ireland and Scotland).

I was happy to get on the flight back home to Australia.

The people who were my friends in UK are still my friends now. Email and Skype are fantastic tools for keeping in touch.

I think another poster has already said that if you're unhappy in UK then you'll be unhappy here.

We've been very fortunate, and I feel for those who come and are unsure from the outset.

I have no idea if we'll stay here for the rest of our lives, but we make sure that we make the most of every minute we have here.

MG
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Best part of the first year, and I've lived in Australia before. Same happens when I go back to live in england. Moving country is unsettling.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:54 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: How long did it take you to settle in Oz?

Originally Posted by Beoz
Moving country is unsettling.
^^ This.

Even moving within your own country is unsettling. I've lost count of the number of times I've moved over the past 39 years, and it's invariably a stressful experience.

The easiest move was the one that took me back home to Australia.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

vigneshp is an unknown quantity at this point

The general thumb rule is to give it two years time..
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Three and a half years here now. I think I tried to blend in too much to begin with, to just let myself be absorbed. First two years were not very happy but that was more to do with living with a woman who would try and burn me with the iron while I was asleep.

I feel settled here now, not sure if I feel I *belong* or not yet but maybe that feeling is always reserved for your country of birth. A quick trip back to the motherland at Christmas has confirmed I'm not missing much.

I find the hardest part is that over time my memories of the UK are just the good bits, the long summer evenings, good weather days etc and the broken car in the freezing rain days are forgotten. Rose tinted hindsight maybe.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:01 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
^^ This.

Even moving within your own country is unsettling. I've lost count of the number of times I've moved over the past 39 years, and it's invariably a stressful experience.

The easiest move was the one that took me back home to Australia.
Ok but you were living in Walsall !!! it would'nt be much of a wrench would it.Of all the places to live in England,Walsall
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Mike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really nice

There should be a "like" button on here just like Facebook has, as there are some excellent posts.

From my/our point of view, we emigrated in 1996 and went to Auckland, then in '03 we came to Oz (Perth).

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I don't think that you can ever really settle once you have emigrated.

Perth is a great place to live, we have many good friends,.......BUT it is NOT home. We do feel "at home", but there is still an emptyness there, that only ex Pats can experience.......... Well that is my feelings anyway.

If I could turn the clock back....knowing what we know now, I would have stayed back home.............maybe????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.