Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to settle in Oz?

How long did it take you to settle in Oz?

Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long did it take you to settle in Oz?

Originally Posted by Mike-T
If I could turn the clock back....knowing what we know now, I would have stayed back home.............maybe????
That's a line I've used before. I'm pretty contented with my lot here, but with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I don't think we would have bothered as well.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Thought I'd settled really well but then went back to the UK for a visit for the first time after 5 years and I'm now desperate to move back and that was almost a year ago. Now got a sense of not belonging anywhere.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:38 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It is almost better not to return to the UK at all in some ways, I went back around a year ago and it totally reinforced our plans to return to live. To some extent I started to believe all doom and gloom, hoodies on every corner stories only to find they weren't true.

Originally Posted by yanH
Thought I'd settled really well but then went back to the UK for a visit for the first time after 5 years and I'm now desperate to move back and that was almost a year ago. Now got a sense of not belonging anywhere.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Mike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really nice

It wouldn't bother me if I never went back to UK ever again, BUT, when we do go back, it is always very unsettling.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
about 6 months before I felt 'normal' again.

Felt at home straight away though
I would echo that too Wendy. I left Lancashire when I was 17 to live in London. Quite honestly that was the hardest move I ever made so when it came to moving overseas for the first time back in 2000 it was easy, although I did suffer a little homesickness when we first moved to Canada.

When we returned to the UK on holiday in 2010 I was very concerned the kids would be unsettled but after a week in the UK they both wanted to come home to Australia. They didn't like being in the UK, there was nothing at all they liked about it. Busy, dirty, smelly and boring is how my eldest described it.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I never really needed to settle in terms of it feeling right. Infact, for me Australia was a feeling of sitting down after 10 years of manic living: I came here partly because I felt burned out. We were lucky that it coincided with a major life change. Getting married, slippers and sprogs.

I had a young family after a year so never had time to think about it!

It's clear you build up networks and contacts and this might not happen overnight.

My advise is to network like crazy whilst you have the energy and the will before if I dare say, the day to day life kicks in.

I feel now we are entering another phase - with older kids we are starting to network more. Nice.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 19th 2012 at 6:04 am.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Cumbrian
Been here 5 months and only now beginning to feel like home.
About a year, mind you I've only been here 2 months.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

It Took till my Daughter could join us in Oz (5 years) until I felt settled, as long as you are with your family it doesnt matter where in the world you are.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spadgersdad
It Took till my Daughter could join us in Oz (5 years) until I felt settled, as long as you are with your family it doesnt matter where in the world you are.
What if you go out on your own not knowing anyone???
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
What if you go out on your own not knowing anyone???
You become manic depressive within weeks and go on to top yourself...... or you get on just fine like the thousands of others before you who did the same.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:37 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You went to Doncaster then ?

Originally Posted by northernbird
Busy, dirty, smelly and boring is how my eldest described it.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
You become manic depressive within weeks and go on to top yourself...... or you get on just fine like the thousands of others before you who did the same.
Haha good answer
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spadgersdad
, as long as you are with your family it doesnt matter where in the world you are.
Really? What about those of us who left to get away from family?
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Aardvark80 is an unknown quantity at this point

The minute I got out of the Perth airport and felt 27 degrees at 2 in the morning...

Been here nearly a month now and I think it's normal to initially draw comparissons to where you've come from. It's just part of exploring process. I love it here though. I know I'm going to want to stay. But my wife is finding it a bit tougher, she misses her friend's and family.

Will feel a lot more settled when we finally find somewhere to rent...
Old Feb 20th 2012, 9:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aardvark80
The minute I got out of the Perth airport and felt 27 degrees at 2 in the morning...

Been here nearly a month now and I think it's normal to initially draw comparissons to where you've come from. It's just part of exploring process. I love it here though. I know I'm going to want to stay. But my wife is finding it a bit tougher, she misses her friend's and family.

Will feel a lot more settled when we finally find somewhere to rent...
Where are you staying? If you're NOR check out the meetup section. There are a few of us who do a monthly book group that your wife is more than welcome to attend. We don't actually read books, but we do get together and have a glass of wine and a chat. You can also PM me or Family of 3 for more info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.