Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how long did it take you to get into rented?

Wikiposts

how long did it take you to get into rented?

Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future
Default Re: how long did it take you to get into rented?

Originally posted by mrttennis
Not long to go now - 10 days!!!
Would anyone like to share their experiences of renting a house in Brisbane suburbs after arrival. We have never rented before and have 7 days furnished house in Kangaroo Point arranged and are hoping to be able to move into a rented house within 7 days. Is this going to be do-able or does it take longer to get a house sorted?
Also, are the rentals normally on 6 month leases or are they longer? We will be looking to buy a property as soon as possible and don't want a long term lease.

Finallly, I know the house market in Brissy has gone up a hell of a lot in the last couple of years - any opinions on if it may continue to increase at such a pace? I'm pretty sure that uk prices have pretty much peaked at the moment and probably will not increase much at all over the next couple of years.

What do all reckon??
We arrived in Brisbane and spent two weeks in a serviced apartment in Kangeroo point. Went looking for rentals as soon as we arrived. Had three or four suburbs lined up, but it still took three weeks in total before we were in our rental. That was with references and a job offer. As far as I'm aware, 6 months tends to be the norm, although after 6 months, i believe you can get into a monthly arrangment.

Lots of talk both here and in the UK about property bubbles/crashes etc etc. Look, having had experience of the last property crash in the UK (early 90's), I'm in no rush to throw away what equity I've got . Rent here is almost the same as paying a mortgage (whereas in the UK, rent is higher than paying a mortgage for the same property), so we plan to take our time in finding anywhere.

Having spent some time recently working in Melbourne, its felt a little backward coming back to Queensland!...Can't quite put my finger on it.

Nick
Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We found it pretty difficult finding anywhere to rent around here. 4 beds are in short supply and if you want a pool they are gold dust!

It took us 4 weeks to find a place and we are about to move out into a better rental in a couple of weeks.

Most leases are 6 months and if you want to leave you have to pay the cost of adverts to try and and someone to take it over. So it would be wise to find somewhere decent where you will be happy for at least 6 months.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:27 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: how long did it take you to get into rented?

To the person who is moving in November, you may find closer to Christmas there are less rentals available here. when I was renting , I had terrible trouble finding a decent rental around that time of year ( end of nov/ dec period) . One previous year I moved December.. (as my previous rental house had be sold ) . Nobody seems to want to move around this period, so hence less rentals on the market that time of year. The same seems to go for buying too. It's a slow period Nov/dec and early Jan.. less choice..

renting in 7 days:
Decent rentals never seem to hit the online real-estate sites, or papers , as they tend to get taken as soon as they become available- Soon as they come onto the rental market ,the real-estate agent prints up a list .. either hangs it on his/her window, or puts them on the counter.. the best way is to go to the area you want to live, go around all the real-estate agents and ask for a rental list..then go view. Don't wait for them to hit your local quest paper etc, or online sites , as time they hit the papers.. the best ones are usually long gone.. phone up, and it's the usual story - it's been rented out a few days ago..

Getting a rental in 7 days.. I agree with a few others who have said you're pushing it... I'd allow more time than 7 days ( past experience of renting properties here) . You may get lucky, but you are really narrowing down your choice - ie some of them advertised are still occupied.. and will only become available in say 2 weeks.. The only time I have ever found a rental in 7 days was when I first moved here from Newcastle.. even then I did not move in within 7 days as the place was not ready.

P.s you can get three month contracts if the house is on the market for sale, 6 months and 12 months are the norm. Even if the rental is advertised for 12 months, you can usually ask for just 6 months.. usually the landlord will agree.. Most of my previous homes were advertised for 12 month contracts.. I always got 6 months, by asking them to ask the landlord.. usually it's a yes
Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Barrakuda is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen some people mentioned Kangeroo Point serviced appartments. Can you please tell me a little more about this: can you book online and pay on arrival, how long can you stay there, how much does it cost, which services, any positives and negatives? We are arriving in August and we are now looking for a similar type of deal close to CBD (until we get a car) and then move into a 6-months rental place.

Ceri, thanks a lot for your rental places search tips. It was great to know the usuful tactics. I have to say it's different from our NZ experince: we had to do a flat/house hunt through the local community newspapers early mornings as soon as they were out. Agents were no good at all, they were more focused on selling property rather then any rental small deals.

Any information about the first-week rental recommendations will be greatly helpful to us, really really appreciated!