Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long did it take to get your first Oz job?

View Poll Results: How long did it take you to get your first job?
Had a job lined up before I arrived.
37.50%
Got a job within 1 month of arriving.
25.00%
Between 1-3 months.
21.88%
Between 3-6 months.
3.13%
Between 6-12 months.
6.25%
More than 12 months.
6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

How long did it take to get your first Oz job?

Old Dec 13th 2004, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Mitzi. is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How long did it take to get your first Oz job?

There's been a couple of posts on here over the last few days where new migrants have had lots of problems getting their first job in Oz. One was a year!
:scared:

Since I'm moving to Brisbane in March, I'd like to know how long it took the folks who have moved there to find their first job.

I know it's going to be different for different industries and places, but would just like to see how others went on.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How long did it take to get your first Oz job?

Originally Posted by Mitzi.
There's been a couple of posts on here over the last few days where new migrants have had lots of problems getting their first job in Oz. One was a year!

Since I'm moving to Brisbane in March, I'd like to know how long it took the folks who have moved there to find their first job.

I know it's going to be different for different industries and places, but would just like to see how others went on.

Hubby has his ready to go. We arrive Friday 7th Jan and he starts Monday 10th. I'm just going back to teaching with the education department so mines pretty much sorted too.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 7:35 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby has his job sorted (Brisbane) Starts on the 14th February.

Donna.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Am replying on behalf of ste.

After being here 3 wks, he thought he should start looking for work, went out to a fridge / air con firm, they said 'no room at the inn', but they called another firm, who gave ste a call 'for a chat', then they called him again to invite him for an interview and they offered him a job - all on the same day.

So it took one day!!! :scared:
Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:23 am
Sydney since Oct 04

l_jg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!

We're in Sydney and it took me about a week to get temp work (admin / secretarial) once I'd started seriously looking. I've had a couple of interviews already for permanent positions (data analyst / database work) and hoping to hear back from one of them very soon and hopefully starting permanent work in the New Year. I've been told that it's difficult to get work from December to February - even temp work, but I went round about 20 agencies and signed on and told them that I would consider anything tempwise they found something for me pretty quickly. Just don't be too choosy!

Tony had a job to come over to - so he didn't have to worry when we got here.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 3:32 am
PommieLeague

Two days after I started looking for one.

Old Dec 14th 2004, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs JTL got a job with about her 3rd application (it did take her 3 months to do 3 applications!). I'm only really starting looking now, I'm hoping to start work Jan/Feb time.

Depends what you work at of course, but I think if you are flexible enough, and not picky about pay/location etc, its not as hard to get a job as some people make out. But don't listen to me, I'm unemployed

Cheers,
JTL
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:01 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

A better poll would be to ask how long did it take for migrants to find a job after they started looking.

Some people take some time to tour the country etc, or simply to settle down, get a car, a house/unit etc before beginning their job hunting.

Peter
Old Dec 14th 2004, 5:13 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ptlabs
A better poll would be to ask how long did it take for migrants to find a job after they started looking.

Some people take some time to tour the country etc, or simply to settle down, get a car, a house/unit etc before beginning their job hunting.

Peter
I agree, I "relaxed " for 3 months after arriving then started looking, got sorted within a couple of weeks, that was about 2yrs ago.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby already had a job lined up. I got the first (and only!) job I applied for even though I put the application in about 2 months prior to arriving... Been working for almost 5 months and all is well. ..... My friend however looked for work for 5 months and didn't find anything. Mind you - she was being very specific about what she wanted to do and has now ended up starting a PhD instead.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Mitzi. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ptlabs
I hadn't thought about that!

Thanks for the info, I'm a bit more reassured that it shouldn't take me 12 months to find something, even if it's not what I want to do long term.

I'm surprised that so many folks had a job lined up before they went. A colleague went back from the UK to his native Adelaide in May and found that he needed to be in Oz to job hunt.

Right - off to practice washing dishes...

Mitzi.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:08 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Hi Mitzsi

Actualy getting a job here may not be too dificult. The problem may be the type of job and salary.

Getting a job might actually be easy. Getting the "right job" with the "right salary" might be more problematic. of course it all depends on what you did and what you earned in UK

Old Dec 14th 2004, 11:52 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Was here in Perth for four weeks (sorting house etc) decided to look for job had three interviews got three jobs chose one! Since been head hunted, but keeping options open on next move

Paul J
Old Dec 14th 2004, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a lot depends on the field you're in and your motivation. Personally, I doubt I would want to take an Aus job on from the UK without knowing a great deal about it. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you are sponsored, I think you pretty much have to spend a lot of time working for that employer and that could be disastrous.
Larissa
PS Hubby is looking for work, got here October 12th, but wanted some time off and have budgeted to survive until the Autumn/Winter if we're lucky so the pressure is off but I can't go stocking up on shoes just yet.