Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long commuting in Oz?

How long commuting in Oz?

Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

kevt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long commuting in Oz?

Just wondering how long on average people spend commuting to work in Oz.

I spend at least 4 and a half hours per day commuting to from a job I hate in the UK with just the thought of emigrating keeping me going.

I am thinking/ hoping that when in Oz I will spend a maximum of two hours a day, but am hoping for less so I can spend some more quality time with the family.

Kevin
Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:22 am
owieb

Default Re: How long commuting in Oz?

Originally posted by kevt

I spend at least 4 and a half hours per day commuting to from a job I hate in the UK with just the thought of emigrating keeping me going.

I am thinking/ hoping that when in Oz I will spend a maximum of two hours a day, but am hoping for less so I can spend some more quality time with the family.

Kevin
In Perth it used to take me 45 mins door-to-door (each way) and this was going on public transport; bus, train and foot. I live about 20kms from the CBD.

However it now takes 30 seconds as I just have to walk downstairs!

Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:22 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

My husband takes about 45 min each way to get to work. My trip is about 35min.

Dawn
Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:27 am
Badge

Default Good post

London - for me from time to leave home to get to office 1.5 - 2 hours.

Australia - where I may end up living, it might even be - 2 hours - if I go with the stress job - but - I think it will be a more pleasant 2 hours. I know - as I have done it.

badge

Old Nov 18th 2003, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin
9kms to Melbourne CBD - door to door in rush hour:
22 mins push bike
50-60 mins tram
60 mins car (journey 45 mins, park up, walk to office)

Normally go by bike - especially in the rain when tram or car is even longer!

Bike journey would be quicker if I didn't get held up by cars
Old Nov 18th 2003, 10:01 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

17kms from Brisbane - about 35-40 mins in the car. Train from Manly (closest station - 5-10 min drive away) is 35 mins.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:03 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
17kms from Brisbane - about 35-40 mins in the car. Train from Manly (closest station - 5-10 min drive away) is 35 mins.
How much does the Manly train cost Mrs D ?
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:07 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by PeteY
i'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere....
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:08 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by scutterUK
i'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere....
lol. Growing concerned for how your mind works scutter
Old Nov 18th 2003, 12:14 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

lol. Growing concerned for how your mind works scutter
SHHHHHHHHHH!!! everyone still thinks i'm sweet and innocent!

Old Nov 18th 2003, 7:27 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

for a 6:30 am start the drive from Bondi to Auburn takes 30 mins, 7:30 am start 45 mins. 9am start 1 hour although I get the train (1hour 30mins $44 a week).
Old Nov 18th 2003, 10:20 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by scutterUK
SHHHHHHHHHH!!! everyone still thinks i'm sweet and innocent!

Uhhh... NO!

Paramatta to Sydney - 30 kms, leave at 0645, get here 30-45 minutes later, depending on the traffic / school days, etc. If I leave at 0830 it takes a good hour.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 10:52 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Pete, its $5.80 return, $22.90/week, $91.60/month, $251.70/quarter, $480.50/half year, $915.20/year.
Old Nov 18th 2003, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: How long commuting in Oz?

Kevin
About 15 mins in the morning to go 15km or 9 miles through the city of adelaide. Afternoon rush hour it's double that at 30 max.

It's not called the 20min city for nothing, fast car knocks 5 mins off though!

Come to adelaide if you wanna spend more time living and less commuting my friend:lecture:
Old Nov 18th 2003, 11:46 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by evorobin
About 15 mins in the morning to go 15km or 9 miles through the city of adelaide. Afternoon rush hour it's double that at 30 max.

It's not called the 20min city for nothing, fast car knocks 5 mins off though!

Come to adelaide if you wanna spend more time living and less commuting my friend:lecture:
It takes me between 1.15 and 1.30 to get to work and 1.30 and 1.45 to get home.

It's 2 busses and a train. Clean and cheap but too long.

I'm going out to get a big 4 litre gas guzzling Falcon wagon at the weekend so I can get to work in 35 minutes instead.

Also so I can go windsurfing on the Swan river after work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.