Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long commuting in Oz?

How long commuting in Oz?

Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Kendoddsdadsdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney - Driving from Oxford Road/Kings Cross to Kurnell Refinery
(South Sydney near Cronulla) 45-50 minutes each way.

Perth (Maylands/Mount Lawley) - 15 min walk to tain station and twenty minutes to City centre by train - 10 minute walk to office.

We had an award every year at our agencies Christmas bash in Sydney for the Contractor with the longest Daily commute to work. It was won by a guy who lived in the Blue Mountains who commuted 2 hours each way every day!!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 11:48 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by bondipom
Add a several hundred thousand to that figure now.
Wow! I did'nt know it was that out of control. When property first came on our radar in early 2000 a 3 bed townhouse in Waverton was about $450k. By the time we left in April this year it was £700k+ and now it seems you need a million$!! Shame we did'nt buy one back then.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Herman
North Sydney is a great location because you can walk to the city in 45 minutes across the bridge and the train frequencies are superb. However, a word of caution - its sandwiched between the Pacific Highway (fairly busy) and the very noisy Freeway which runs over the harbour bridge. There are some quieter residential side roads off Miller Street, towards the top of North Sydney near the Oval, which are the place to be. We were on the top floor of a very high apartment block, which helped with the traffic noise.
I would also highly recommend the neighbouring suburb of Waverton. It only has half the trains of North Sydney, so you may have to wait up to 10 minutes on the platform in the morning, but it has some great properties, a nice park/reserve (Balls Head - one of those great Sydney shoreline secret spots) and a nice little village centre with a few decent coffee shops/restuarants. If we had decided to stay in Sydney, we probably would have tried to find somewhere in Waverton within our budget (a small 3 bed townhouse = $700k+).
Also look at Crows Nest - it has some nice pockets of residential housing and has a fantastic restaurant strip where the curries will make you never want to eat another British curry again (we are currently suffering from Crows Nest curry withdrawal syndrome!).
Cheers for that Herman - will definitely check those places out when we go over in March. And I thought I had heard someone say you cannot get a good curry in Sydney ??!!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Wrote that last reply before reading the rest of the posts (schoolboy error!!!).

Looks like I won't be checking out those areas then, as unless the fx rate hits somewhere near 10 AUS$ = £1 I don't think I have a million yet.....hold on a moment....just checked for change in my wallet and the loose change in my drawer.....nope still not enough for a million. Oh well !!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:07 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Herman
Wow! I did'nt know it was that out of control. When property first came on our radar in early 2000 a 3 bed townhouse in Waverton was about $450k. By the time we left in April this year it was £700k+ and now it seems you need a million$!! Shame we did'nt buy one back then.
Yup! 20%+ per annum rise is the AVERAGE. Some areas are going through the roof. (Silly pun!)

Mind you, the UK has had it's share of this - I bought a place in Surrey in the mid 80's for 70K GBP, from a guy who'd had it for 2 years and paid 30K GBP. Two years later it was valued at 105K GBP.....
Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sjn2003
Cheers for that Herman - will definitely check those places out when we go over in March. And I thought I had heard someone say you cannot get a good curry in Sydney ??!!
Top 10 Indians in Sydney
http://www.10best.com/Sydney/Dining/Indian/

The flavour of India was where Michael Hutchence had his last meal and serves up a good curry.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 4:06 am
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by downunderpom
Uhhh... NO!

Paramatta to Sydney - 30 kms, leave at 0645, get here 30-45 minutes later, depending on the traffic / school days, etc. If I leave at 0830 it takes a good hour.

Have you tried the River Cat from Paramatta?

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 8:01 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
Have you tried the River Cat from Paramatta?
Thought about it - bit of a drag from Circular Quay to work.... Might do it as a 'tourist' thing one of these days.