Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long before we can buy a house in Oz?

How long before we can buy a house in Oz?

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:09 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long before we can buy a house in Oz?

Hi,

Never owned a house in the UK.

How long is it before we can a house ie. do I need to be in work for X amount of time before we get a loan and what % of value of house do we need as a deposit?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 10:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before we can buy a house in Oz?

Originally posted by diddy
Hi,

Never owned a house in the UK.

How long is it before we can a house ie. do I need to be in work for X amount of time before we get a loan and what % of value of house do we need as a deposit?

Thanks,

Paul.

Paul

I know this has come up in the past but can't quite remember when. Try a search. It was at least in the last two months.

Good luck. I would look, and will in the morning, but I am now knackered and going to bed. Sorry.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

we have been here 3 weeks and the commonwealth bank will give us an 80% mortgage with just 1 payslip and a letter from my husbands employer stating that he works full time, also in Queensland if you have never owned a house ever before you are exempt from paying stamp duty (i think) and also you will be able to apply for the 1st home owner grant $7000.
lucy

Last edited by wombat; Jul 25th 2004 at 8:39 am.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:23 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

We took 10 days to find and sign a contract tpo purchase and we are not working...

I am sure previous threads have said that If it is the first AUSTRALIAN house you are buying you get the $7000

uk house purchases do not count
Hope I am right!!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It is the first Aus house you own to get the $7000 grant. You are not exempt from stamp duty though, unless the price of your house is under $250k I think.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

If you settle in victoria and buy before July2005, you will be entitled to $12,000 1st time buyer grant (used to be $7,000).

Ive asked about mortgages recently. Most banks want at least six months earnings and to have passed any probation periods. If you can stump up 40% or more you can get a "lo-doc" (low documentation) mortgage almost straight away. if not then you'll need at least six months earnings before they will look at you.

All the best 65KK