Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How long before one feels "Australian"

Wikiposts

How long before one feels "Australian"

Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:00 am
Merlot

Default Re: How long before one feels "Australian"

Another thread that has turned into a "hot" potato.

What is with everyone at the moment, we all seem to want to scrap.

M

Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:58 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Banksia
Poor old world weary BondiPom. Tired of Oz already and tired of life? The Band played Waltzing Matilda naff too?

I haven't heard "Ugly and naff" ascribed to the song by anyone else. Perhaps you haven't passed the feeling Australian test after all. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Maybe after 60 years. But what did or will your citizenship undertaking mean? And Australia Day? Take the day off or stay at work?
I have never claimed to feeling Australian however I have never felt the patriotic twangs that the British get. I know Australians who cringe at the ad. I also cringe at most patriotic songs.

One theory about Waltzing Matilda is that the term was used by German Soldiers as a reference to pleasuring oneself. I wouldn't want to use that swag.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
I have never claimed to feeling Australian however I have never felt the patriotic twangs that the British get. I know Australians who cringe at the ad. I also cringe at most patriotic songs.

One theory about Waltzing Matilda is that the term was used by German Soldiers as a reference to pleasuring oneself. I wouldn't want to use that swag.
The original question was "when do you feel"? To which Bondi's answer is "not yet" or "don't intend to".

For the unitiated, "Waltzing Matilda" and "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" are different songs.

Bondi still hasn't explained the link between patriotism and what amounts to an economically delivered history lesson.

Either way, I'm off to see a refugee lady today who spent four years in a camp in Africa having fled from Sierra Leone and has struggled along over the last two years-

(a) to become a proud Australian, possibly even a patriotic one;

(b) to save her meagre wages as a nurse's aide in a geriatric home to bring out four of her siblings; and

(c) attends TAFE.

She is now saving for her parents and a few more siblings.

And best of all every time, you see her she has the biggest smile on her face.

On a slightly different thread, perhaps one might understand a certain shortness with whingers because many of us have neighbours like this, attend schools their kids attend or just come across them by other means by, for example, being invited to meet the family of the checkout person at the local fruit shop.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Banksia
The original question was "when do you feel"? To which Bondi's answer is "not yet" or "don't intend to".

For the unitiated, "Waltzing Matilda" and "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" are different songs.

Bondi still hasn't explained the link between patriotism and what amounts to an economically delivered history lesson.

Either way, I'm off to see a refugee lady today who spent four years in a camp in Africa having fled from Sierra Leone and has struggled along over the last two years-

(a) to become a proud Australian, possibly even a patriotic one;

(b) to save her meagre wages as a nurse's aide in a geriatric home to bring out four of her siblings; and

(c) attends TAFE.

She is now saving for her parents and a few more siblings.

And best of all every time, you see her she has the biggest smile on her face.

On a slightly different thread, perhaps one might understand a certain shortness with whingers because many of us have neighbours like this, attend schools their kids attend or just come across them by other means by, for example, being invited to meet the family of the checkout person at the local fruit shop.
Not a matter of intending to or not intending to feel Australian. It is something that may or may not happen. I will neither force it nor resist it. I remember what Greg Rusedski appeared like when he tried being British. I just get on with enjoying life here and hope my family enjoys it here as much as I do.

Patriotism has nothing to do with what one does for society. Why you are now on about whingers and friendly shop keepers? Are you suggesting it is un-australian to whinge?

I'll let everyone google for Waltzing Matilda. Maybe you should start a thread on the subject.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If you want snobbery in Melby try the beach suburbs just out of the city, hubs sister lives in Brighton and its funny most of the snotty folk in noosa emigrated from the southern states You'd do well not to retire to noosa, the gold chain, hairy chested speedo crowd, married to the bronzed croc, fake jewelry, bleached grey hair would send anyone to an early grave.

Sheila-ish, no she sounds lovely, its interesting tho your daughter is off back to the UK, our son also 5.11 and green eyed probably slightly harier tho, is also off back to the UK, he also calls himself a pom and is going back to UK for better income, as he says he will never afford a house on aussie wages.

Thanks for the pleasant reply and the advice re Noosa, Not that Noosa was high up on the list. (methinks, I or someone should start a where is the best place to retire to thread the QE2 would be good lol).

Just to clarify, re my daughter, She is going over to England basically because there probably more money in her area of work, but mostly to fast track her career, as there is far more commerce and opportunity in England, and the rest of the EEC, So It's basically a career move, rather than a wanted lifestyle change. Although I will admit, If I were 20, with no ties and good job prospects, That England and most importantly Europe would probably be a better option.

One last point, where did I spend the weekend, ? Seeing as the over 45 Aussie person is Labelled as an old codger Up on the Goulburn River fishing, and drinking wine, Hmm Maybe I am :scared: Best plan a weekend doing some clubs before I get ready to cark it.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bondipom]I have never claimed to feeling Australian however I have never felt the patriotic twangs that the British get. I know Australians who cringe at the ad. I also cringe at most patriotic songs.

/QUOTE]

Even my aussie mother cringes at that ad, thats a woman who serves lamingtons and sao's with vegemite for arvo tea and has the save australia from terrorism fridge magnet firmly placed on the top right hand corner of the fridge
Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
Actually you implied that people in Australia are fatter than people in the UK by posing the question to British expats of why any person would want to “get as big as an aussie�, thereby implying that only Australians are fat.

Now, I do not know from which planet you come from, but from where I am from the mere fact that you have money doesn’t make you automatically responsible for the woes of those who do not have money, so I can’t see what the fact that people live from dole to dole or on less than $500/week has anything to do with this discussion or the people we are discussing. If there is no work in Noosa for these people why do they stay there? As for the town having no-one in it out of season, what of it? Is it not a seasonal holiday town?

Incidentally I didn’t go to Noosa on a week long package holiday, I have friends who own a house there. The people you describe as “usually flys in for the weekend� actually also go there for long holidays with family and friends, thereby directly contributing to the economy of the town.

I would like to challenge you to explain to me how the simple fact of having money makes you “pretentious� and “money loving, social climbing, class conscious, backstabbing, keep up with the Jones�?

And how does having great taste and the money to buy Italian porcelain for your bathroom equate to “doing anything and everything to shake off being 'aussie'�? Do you have nothing in your home that was made in a foreign country? If you do, does that then mean that you wish you weren’t British? Or do you need to only buy goods manufactured in the UK from 100% non-imported products in order to be British? Some things in other countries are just simply far superior. Italian marble, Italian leather and Italian porcelain are some of them, just because you cannot afford them doesn’t mean that those who can have issues about their nationality.

Like I said before, you are simply someone who is jealous of something you want but do not have and so you sprout garbage about people whom you do not even know.

I happen to know how much hard work and personal sacrifice it requires to be where those people are, I also know about the charities many of them support and how good their hearts are. Yes, you get bastards on all social levels of life, but just having money doesn’t automatically qualify you for it.

Stop being bitter about not having it all and start enjoying what you have and you’ll be a much nicer and happier person, guaranteed.

OK OK :scared: Look I will get you tickets to the next noosa prestige housing awards, a charity gala at twin waters, a discount on italian toilets, I'll even say aussies are not fat,

As long as you promise to find something more intersting in to do in my home town planet melbourne on saturday nights rather than post to me
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
OK OK :scared: Look I will get you tickets to the next noosa prestige housing awards, a charity gala at twin waters, a discount on italian toilets, I'll even say aussies are not fat,

As long as you promise to find something more intersting in to do in my home town planet melbourne on saturday nights rather than post to me
It's a cop out as you didn't bother answering any of my questions, but I'll accept the fact that you were just whinging, had nothing really truthful to contribute and let you off the hook this time.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:03 am

I find that out argued Aussies who have little else to say bring out the whinger tag. Unfortunately I caught the end of that piece on Today soshite about Delta. The silly bint was complaining that the British and Irish didn't like the warbler. Final comment was "what do you think of the whining?". Should have given the idiot a mirror. I'll make sure not to flick to seven.
I had a good time in Noosa but there were some odd looking plastic people there. Another poster recently remarked that is was full of Botox people. I am sure the place was once charming but the over development has taken that away.

There was a interesting program on SBS looking at some of the people who moved to Noosa. Those of working age were had setup their own business and worked from home. Of course there are jobs in tourism and building but I wouldn't move there for career options.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 9:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I find that out argued Aussies who have little else to say bring out the whinger tag. Unfortunately I caught the end of that piece on Today soshite about Delta. The silly bint was complaining that the British and Irish didn't like the warbler. .
Maybe cos shes sh*te??? Accept it Missy and move on
Old Feb 27th 2005, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by hevs
Maybe cos shes sh*te??? Accept it Missy and move on
She makes my ears bleed. Her arse has got nothing on Kylie's.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

erm - if she doesn't like it I'm sure we can send directions to Heathrow. After all there are plenty of people on this forum who believe if you have 1 bad thing to say abotu Australia you should leave right now.
Surely that rule must apply to poor downtrodden Delta.

Delta is also a particularly daft name.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:41 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichS

Delta is also a particularly daft name.
And a particularly annoying woman.. Home wrecker that she is... Poor ugly one from Atomic Kitten (I couldnt be bothered to remember her name)...

Delta you annoying wench you are welcome to the ugly one from Westlife.. oh and your songs are crap...

there I feel much better now, to be fair, I was out the other night with some true blues, and they dont like here either.. its not just the Poms
Old Feb 27th 2005, 12:44 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Badge
In fact Ceri, I feel you are only "lucky" the way you feel the way about your nationalty of birth. I feel sorry that you have boxed yourself in to a corner and thus can never have another opportunity or view to enjoy something else. Do you feel sorry for the people that have no nation state, no identity, as such to feel proud about?
not true, how many languages do you speak Badge? I don't expect you to understand, most army boys are very brainwashed. They obey orders and not taught to independently think.

Let me tell you about a little Rule in my household when growing up - "ever join up ( Army), don't come back to this house ever again" ( mum's rule, funnily enough her siblings had the same rule in their homes too - all their children went with the Air force, and Navy , and other forces such as fire and police). This is coming from a family who have a long history in the Army, where we have seen it wrecked ties/life first hand.

Perhaps you should take a tip from the ethnic races. Even if they have no political state , and have no plans for returning to their homeland , most of them are very proud of their nationality and identity

PS I do not want your karma Badge.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Superior
We all have responsibilities for a start. What I'm saying is - if you don't like it here, piss off! We don't need you here.
Was that aimed at Delta?

you appear to be a very quick off the mark in terms of rudeness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.