Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How hot is it really?

How hot is it really?

Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: How hot is it really?

I have a different take it seems....

It has been very hot. Think about walking into a hairdryer and you get a good idea of what happens when it is hot and the wind comes off the dessert. HOWEVER there are ways of dealing with it, I have to say.

You get in your car and boil for all of around 5 minutes, then the aircon is great. I did however break down, and that was just horrible at 43 C. Burnt in the 5 minutes I had my head under the car bonnet - holding the hot bonnet long enough to get it open was also an experience in mind over matter. People get affected by the heat, people in cold countries get affected by the cold. People die from weather-related events and this is becoming sadly a part of life all over the world. However, fires are part of life here and an occupational hazard of living in a hot country. Not least because of the nutters who start them deliberately. Glad to see that Rudd is planning on doing them for murder - about time.

It may be warming up more and more, but cmon guys, it's Australia where the ecosystem relies on fires to regenerate itself. If we build houses out of timber and buy houses in heavily treed areas we are creating a potential timebomb.

Most houses have some airconditioning, even if it is only in a couple of rooms. You need to accept that for a few nights each year you need to sleep in the room with the aircon.

Stand under a shower with your shorts and tee shirt then walk around dripping - you act as your own convective cooler. If you do this and then stand in front of a fan it is icy cold!! If I hadnt felt that hot, I would never have experienced just how beautiful cold can be. Living in the UK we just don't get the chance to relish in feeling cold. And then there is the experience of sitting out on a hot sultry night and feeling the cool change come in - stunning.

Best of all - get a house with ducted heating and refrigerated cooling then you can walk round comfy all year!

Oh, and on a sadder note, avoid living in an area that has a high fire risk. The best way to avoid being caught in a fire is to live away from all the beautiful forests and woodlands that we love so much in the UK.

In fact in Adelaide I need cooling for a few weeks each year, and heating for a few months. BBRRRRR!

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Vic.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
I have a different take it seems....

It has been very hot. Think about walking into a hairdryer and you get a good idea of what happens when it is hot and the wind comes off the dessert. HOWEVER there are ways of dealing with it, I have to say.

You get in your car and boil for all of around 5 minutes, then the aircon is great. I did however break down, and that was just horrible at 43 C. Burnt in the 5 minutes I had my head under the car bonnet - holding the hot bonnet long enough to get it open was also an experience in mind over matter. People get affected by the heat, people in cold countries get affected by the cold. People die from weather-related events and this is becoming sadly a part of life all over the world. However, fires are part of life here and an occupational hazard of living in a hot country. Not least because of the nutters who start them deliberately. Glad to see that Rudd is planning on doing them for murder - about time.

It may be warming up more and more, but cmon guys, it's Australia where the ecosystem relies on fires to regenerate itself. If we build houses out of timber and buy houses in heavily treed areas we are creating a potential timebomb.

Most houses have some airconditioning, even if it is only in a couple of rooms. You need to accept that for a few nights each year you need to sleep in the room with the aircon.

Stand under a shower with your shorts and tee shirt then walk around dripping - you act as your own convective cooler. If you do this and then stand in front of a fan it is icy cold!! If I hadnt felt that hot, I would never have experienced just how beautiful cold can be. Living in the UK we just don't get the chance to relish in feeling cold. And then there is the experience of sitting out on a hot sultry night and feeling the cool change come in - stunning.

Best of all - get a house with ducted heating and refrigerated cooling then you can walk round comfy all year!

Oh, and on a sadder note, avoid living in an area that has a high fire risk. The best way to avoid being caught in a fire is to live away from all the beautiful forests and woodlands that we love so much in the UK.

In fact in Adelaide I need cooling for a few weeks each year, and heating for a few months. BBRRRRR!

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Vic.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

The heat has a devastating effect, apart from the obvious fire risk its far more damaging physically than the cold, over 100 people have died here in SA, the mortuary is full! Its horrible, apart from anything else it puts everyone in a really bad mood, you just can't function.:curse:

Its wonderful here at present, a lovely cool, 20 degrees and we all feel so much better....
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:25 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Heat really does take its toll on the body.

Human body temperature is about 37C so at any temepratures below that we perspire and release heat into the cooler air around us.

At temps above 37C, we still perspire but it doesn't really evaporate and has no cooling effect. Temps over 37C are therefore particuallry draining and we need artificial means of cooling as our body has difficulty regulating our temperature.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

SurferBoy will become famous soon enoughSurferBoy will become famous soon enough

I was talking to my mate in England this morning and I told him I set the a/c at 24 Degrees - and it feels cold....He replied, "I dont set the Central Heating that HIGH" !!

Oh and how we laughed
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:48 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SurferBoy
I was talking to my mate in England this morning and I told him I set the a/c at 24 Degrees - and it feels cold....He replied, "I dont set the Central Heating that HIGH" !!

Oh and how we laughed
We don't have aircon here but when I hear "set your aircon to 24C" I laugh because in Darwin we had ours set to 27C. I would have had to do 20hrs overtime a week to afford to run it at 24C
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
We don't have aircon here but when I hear "set your aircon to 24C" I laugh because in Darwin we had ours set to 27C. I would have had to do 20hrs overtime a week to afford to run it at 24C

Mine gets set to 27 too....24 is freezing!!