Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to rent compared to the UK?

How hard is it to rent compared to the UK?

Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How hard is it to rent compared to the UK?

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I think someone mentioned they divide by 7 multiply by 365 then divide by 12?

The example they gave was $400 per week becoming $1738 per month.

I think the logic is for the amount to be a fixed amount paid monthly based on an agreed rate weekly. Above example was on 12 month lease - it might be different on 6 months

Weekly Rate 400 400
Daily 57 57
Annual (365 days) /6 months (182 days) 20,857 10,400
Monthly 1,738 1,733
Months 12 6
Total Payable 20,857 10,400
That's too complicated.

They normally multiply the weekly amount by 52 and divide by 12.

400 * 52 = 20,800
20,800 / 52 = 1,733
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Paddy_M
I am having a problem even getting the agent to respond to me. Have seen a property and offered 6 months up front. No response. Thought they might be wanting to fill places (?).

Is it usual for them to take a few days to respond to e-mail requests (via their own site, direct e-mail, and also tried a third party site).

Might try courier pigeon next
If you aren't in the country, it can be very difficult as they tend to prefer customers who can decide right now.

You would be better phoning them, to show real interest (in their view).

Many people have had the same problem as you, but find a furnished place to start with, for a week or 2/3, and then find a normal place once they can look around.

Renting unseen is a bit of a risk, and the agent may prefer not to deal with someone who arrives and finds the place isn't quite what they expected.

Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:19 pm
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

Spoke to the agent on the phone and, although pleasant enough, I got the distinct impression of "we don't want you".

Shame, looked like a beautiful place.

As a mature professional willing to offer rental in advance and ticking all their other boxes in terms of non-smoker, no pets etc I am beginning to wonder if they actually do want to rent out properties. Or maybe it's who you know in some areas?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paddy_M
Spoke to the agent on the phone and, although pleasant enough, I got the distinct impression of "we don't want you".

Shame, looked like a beautiful place.

As a mature professional willing to offer rental in advance and ticking all their other boxes in terms of non-smoker, no pets etc I am beginning to wonder if they actually do want to rent out properties. Or maybe it's who you know in some areas?
the system seems very similar to the way they rent properties out in Scotland. When we were looking for a new place to rent here we had to put applications in and it wasn't first come first served like in England. They basically took applications from everyone and then the landlord decided who they would like. we waited weeks on some properties only to be told they had chosen someone else. at least we are prepared for it when we get to Oz
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Sydney has to be the hardest place to rent we have ever experienced (and we've moved a lot) due to a severe shortage here. It is utterly demoralising going from one property to the next in the 15 minute time slot allocated with 20-40 other couples - all competing for a tiny number of often quite poorly maintained properties. The rest of Aus may be different. If you have 6-12 months up front it may be different also. Also, the real estate agents here have to be some of the most arrogant and self-important in the world - I can't believe that worse ones exist anywhere. Sorry - sore subject...

Last edited by highersights; Feb 4th 2009 at 8:43 pm.