Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to rent compared to the UK?

How hard is it to rent compared to the UK?

Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default How hard is it to rent compared to the UK?

I'm currently living in the Bahamas but 3 years ago I moved to Manchester and lived there for 1 year.

When I first got there I had a very hard time finding somewhere to rent. Landlords were reluctant to rent to me as I had no job. And to get a job I needed a UK address. It was a catch 22 situation. I found it very hard getting out of the hostel I was staying in.

Finally I was able to give the hostels address (just gave the street address etc) and get a job. Then I was able to get somewhere long term to live. Then I had to open a bank account in order to get paid..well thats another story.

But my main question is ...what do landlords require from a tenant?

Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:33 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future
Default Re: How hard is it to rent compared to the UK?

Depends on where you want to live. Got any ideas?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Originally Posted by sprintman
Depends on where you want to live. Got any ideas?
the Gold Coast area.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:55 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Money talks... offer a few months rent up front and suddenly a lot of the supposed obstacles will disappear...
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DrWho
Money talks... offer a few months rent up front and suddenly a lot of the supposed obstacles will disappear...
cool thanks.

I've noticed long term rentals only by the week. is that normal in OZ?

I'd rather pay by the month.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:36 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
cool thanks.

Everyone seems to quote the rate by the week, but pays by the month... dunno why...
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience renting in Australia is vastly easier than in the UK.

To rent in the UK these days, certainly through an agent, you will be subjected to more vetting than a mortgage applicant, it's very intrusive, almost ridiculously so IMO. The last place i rented had to get credit checks, employment checks, 2 personal referees and bank checks - a letter from the bank manager stating that in their opinion I was able to service the rental amount every month. And then they charge you 250 pounds for this pleasure.

It's pretty informal in Australia, no credit checks and rarely do they follow up and check references either. There is supposedly a national tenancy database which you get blacklisted on if you don't pay rent/get evicted/damage a house etc but you won't be on that being new to Australia.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:17 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

cool thanks.

Originally Posted by DrWho
Everyone seems to quote the rate by the week, but pays by the month... dunno why...
Its for comparative purposes, ie benchmarking
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sr71
In my experience renting in Australia is vastly easier than in the UK.

To rent in the UK these days, certainly through an agent, you will be subjected to more vetting than a mortgage applicant, it's very intrusive, almost ridiculously so IMO. The last place i rented had to get credit checks, employment checks, 2 personal referees and bank checks - a letter from the bank manager stating that in their opinion I was able to service the rental amount every month. And then they charge you 250 pounds for this pleasure.

It's pretty informal in Australia, no credit checks and rarely do they follow up and check references either. There is supposedly a national tenancy database which you get blacklisted on if you don't pay rent/get evicted/damage a house etc but you won't be on that being new to Australia.
thanks. thats good news.

wow that sounds almost like what I had to go through to get a bank account in the UK!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Its for comparative purposes, ie benchmarking
oh ok cool. usually short term rentals by the week like holiday rentals are quoted weekly. but cool just times by 4 then.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:26 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

oh ok cool. usually short term rentals by the week like holiday rentals are quoted weekly. but cool just times by 4 then.
I think someone mentioned they divide by 7 multiply by 365 then divide by 12?

The example they gave was $400 per week becoming $1738 per month.

I think the logic is for the amount to be a fixed amount paid monthly based on an agreed rate weekly. Above example was on 12 month lease - it might be different on 6 months

Weekly Rate 400 400
Daily 57 57
Annual (365 days) /6 months (182 days) 20,857 10,400
Monthly 1,738 1,733
Months 12 6
Total Payable 20,857 10,400
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I think someone mentioned they divide by 7 multiply by 365 then divide by 12?

The example they gave was $400 per week becoming $1738 per month.

I think the logic is for the amount to be a fixed amount paid monthly based on an agreed rate weekly. Above example was on 12 month lease - it might be different on 6 months

Weekly Rate 400 400
Daily 57 57
Annual (365 days) /6 months (182 days) 20,857 10,400
Monthly 1,738 1,733
Months 12 6
Total Payable 20,857 10,400
Hmmm...kinda complicated. I'm not good with numbers.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:47 am
ABCDiamond

But my main question is ...what do landlords require from a tenant?

Thanks.
Thats a simple question, with a very simple answer: Money.

If you offer the average landlord 6 months rent up front, you are 99% certain to get the property.

I suggest you move south to NSW, and rent mine Only $7,250 for 6 months up front.

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Thats a simple question, with a very simple answer: Money.

If you offer the average landlord 6 months rent up front, you are 99% certain to get the property.

I suggest you move south to NSW, and rent mine Only $7,250 for 6 months up front.

I only need a 1 bedroom apt.

But yeah I can pay 1 year upfront if I want so this is very good news. thanks.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:58 pm
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am having a problem even getting the agent to respond to me. Have seen a property and offered 6 months up front. No response. Thought they might be wanting to fill places (?).

Is it usual for them to take a few days to respond to e-mail requests (via their own site, direct e-mail, and also tried a third party site).

Might try courier pigeon next

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.