Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how to get just 'bits' over there?

how to get just 'bits' over there?

Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Question how to get just 'bits' over there?

good afternoon all,

just a little question about about WHEN we go to the other side if any one can point me in the right direction that would be fab.

OH and i originally made the decision to not to ship anything over, except some personal bits and toys for the kids but the more we thought about it we then changed our minds to get a 20ft er. having wayed up the costs for one and what stuff we would be shipping over, we have changed our minds again and just want to take probably a few boxes with things like photos, kids toys (Wii+games, few household tools, books) etc.
the question is... i keep reading costs on containers and shippers but how much and who takes the smaller personal boxes and what kind of costs are involved?

thank you for any replies
ps - (hopefully going to adelaide )
kath x
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:50 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to get just 'bits' over there?

Check out Excess Baggage: www.excessbaggage.co.uk

You can ship just a few boxes with them, either sea freight or air freight.

Also Seven Seas: www.sevenseas.co.uk

Gina
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjc79

good afternoon all,

just a little question about about WHEN we go to the other side if any one can point me in the right direction that would be fab.

OH and i originally made the decision to not to ship anything over, except some personal bits and toys for the kids but the more we thought about it we then changed our minds to get a 20ft er. having wayed up the costs for one and what stuff we would be shipping over, we have changed our minds again and just want to take probably a few boxes with things like photos, kids toys (Wii+games, few household tools, books) etc.
the question is... i keep reading costs on containers and shippers but how much and who takes the smaller personal boxes and what kind of costs are involved?

thank you for any replies
ps - (hopefully going to adelaide )
kath x
Just ring any of the shippers mentioned on the forum and tell them you only have a small amount of stuff, they can give you a quote based on that amount, and it then goes in a shared container. Used to take longer as you had to wait for the container to fill with stuff from others with small amounts, but so many people move back and forth now that there isn't a big difference in the timeline.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future

thankyou for your replies. one more thing thats a bit clearer in my mind of what to do.will check those websites out.didnt know if it was a different way of getting the stuff over there or not.
will check prices with them closer to a leaving time....we are in the waiting game with the august people.
thanx
kathx
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

CnG-OZ Bound will become famous soon enough

Hi Kath,

Try this website http://www.freedomshipping.com/

They use "sevenseas" but are cheaper. We are using them.
They couldn't be more helpful.
& the price is "Right"
Chris
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

julie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the roughjulie wareham is a jewel in the rough

we just booked with bournes for 20 tea chest size boxes £770, door to door and with them packing and unpacking at the other end if we want.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: how to get just 'bits' over there?

Originally Posted by CnG-OZ Bound
Hi Kath,

Try this website http://www.freedomshipping.com/

They use "sevenseas" but are cheaper. We are using them.
They couldn't be more helpful.
& the price is "Right"
Chris
thankyou will look into it. cheaper than thousands that a container costs.

Originally Posted by julie wareham
we just booked with bournes for 20 tea chest size boxes £770, door to door and with them packing and unpacking at the other end if we want.
how big are tea chest size?dont mean to ask stupid questions but if they are the size I think i wouldnt need that many=cheaper still LOL......x
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

sprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nicesprug is just really nice

Hi
Definetly try freedom shipping.
We are using them and at the moment they have this deal - every 5th box is free. Works out saving quite a bit
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

CnG-OZ Bound will become famous soon enough

Dimensions : cms Dimensions : ins
Book Carton
51x41x31 cm 20x16x12 ins

Tea Carton
61x51x41 cm 24x20x16 ins

First Box - £69.00, max weight - 40kg
2 boxes £99
3 boxes £129
4 boxes £159
5th box FREE!

They leave you ample qty of Marker pens, Bubble wrap, Very sturdy Boxes & Rolls of Packing tape.
The only thing I bought extra was "Fragile" packing tape which cost me £3.38 for 2 rolls off Ebay.

Chris
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

sevenseas

1st t chest -£89
then £45 for each chest after that
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 2:52 pm
AJG
Just Joined

AJG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CnG-OZ Bound
Dimensions : cms Dimensions : ins
Book Carton
51x41x31 cm 20x16x12 ins

Tea Carton
61x51x41 cm 24x20x16 ins

First Box - £69.00, max weight - 40kg
2 boxes £99
3 boxes £129
4 boxes £159
5th box FREE!

They leave you ample qty of Marker pens, Bubble wrap, Very sturdy Boxes & Rolls of Packing tape.
The only thing I bought extra was "Fragile" packing tape which cost me £3.38 for 2 rolls off Ebay.

Chris
Thats damn cheap. Just booked with Excess 2 hours ago and i wount tell you how much dearer they were