Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get a job in Oz/NZ - opinions

How to get a job in Oz/NZ - opinions

Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ruffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how to get a job

As a carpener now residing in Australia, my advice to people is to pick up the Yellow Pages and phone companies direct. This method has lead to my getting two jobs here since arrival in July. In my opinion firms are keen to employ skilled migrants. Neither of the two firms who employed me had jobs advertised. I also recevied job offers from other companies who I phoned, they called back the next day. I went from Adelaide to the Great Coast Road in Victoria virtually everywhere we stopped off on route and got talking to people I got job offers.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Having read some of the comments about getting work in NZ, it must be a bit easier here in OZ.

My wife got a job in the Government, with very little experience, and no qualifications, and gets a damn good salary to boot.

She started at Coles Supermarket, in the first available position, and concentrated on going further.

Old Dec 1st 2003, 8:52 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: how to get a job

Originally posted by Ruffy
As a carpener now residing in Australia, my advice to people is to pick up the Yellow Pages and phone companies direct. This method has lead to my getting two jobs here since arrival in July. In my opinion firms are keen to employ skilled migrants. Neither of the two firms who employed me had jobs advertised. I also recevied job offers from other companies who I phoned, they called back the next day. I went from Adelaide to the Great Coast Road in Victoria virtually everywhere we stopped off on route and got talking to people I got job offers.

Yup, here in NZ we tried that with the export/shipping/freightforwarding/tranlation/interpreting companies that we could find in Auckland, Wellington, Dunedin, Christchurch, Nelson...you name it. Every one of them gave the same answer - temp work permit ? Non Resident? Best we can do is put you forward for temp work....no guarantees on that either.

Maybe Oz is easier...Nz has become very difficult.

Rich
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:05 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Bump, good thread!

I'm sure a lot is still relevant, and some newbies have their own comments....

Old May 1st 2005, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to get a job in Oz/NZ - opinions

My husband is or used to be a qualified welder. He now works in government job. However, when he welded he damn good at it coming overall 4th in UK chamionship welders comp.

Are welders needed in Australia at the moment? I am a social and life skills teacher in the prison service and do they need these sort of folks too? Is it also a better standard of living than in NZ as we have looked here but the $36000 salary for mu husband in Auckland we have been told would be far too low for the NZ cost of living.

Any advice?

Suze
Old May 1st 2005, 11:26 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to get a job in Oz/NZ - opinions

Originally Posted by ranbysue
My husband is or used to be a qualified welder. He now works in government job. However, when he welded he damn good at it coming overall 4th in UK chamionship welders comp.

Are welders needed in Australia at the moment? I am a social and life skills teacher in the prison service and do they need these sort of folks too? Is it also a better standard of living than in NZ as we have looked here but the $36000 salary for mu husband in Auckland we have been told would be far too low for the NZ cost of living.

Any advice?

Suze
How to get a job in OZ? Without wishing this to sound sarcastic...

Be good at what you do. Ability and skill always shines through.

R