Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get an ausie drivers liscence

How to get an ausie drivers liscence

Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get an ausie drivers liscence

We have teenagers that will be getting there liscence in Oz, and we dont know what the system is over there. Can anyone tell me what you have to do. Over here in NZ you can go for your learners at 15yrs old, which means you pay some money and do a scratchy multiple choice test, and if you pass you then have permission to drive with an adult in the car next to you that has there liscence already. Then 6 months later you can sit your restricted which means more money and a drive test with a cop. Then about a year and a half later you can go for your full liscence which again means money, and another drive but for longer. Then you can drive as free as anyone. On the restricted you arnt allowed to carry passengers and you have to be off the roads by 10pm. If you fail any of them you have to pay to resit that test. One of my sons will have his restricted when he comes to Oz, will that mean anything over there. Also is it true that you have to be 16 to get your license. Catherine
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:37 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: How to get an ausie drivers liscence

Originally posted by glhall
We have teenagers that will be getting there liscence in Oz, and we dont know what the system is over there. Can anyone tell me what you have to do. Over here in NZ you can go for your learners at 15yrs old, which means you pay some money and do a scratchy multiple choice test, and if you pass you then have permission to drive with an adult in the car next to you that has there liscence already. Then 6 months later you can sit your restricted which means more money and a drive test with a cop. Then about a year and a half later you can go for your full liscence which again means money, and another drive but for longer. Then you can drive as free as anyone. On the restricted you arnt allowed to carry passengers and you have to be off the roads by 10pm. If you fail any of them you have to pay to resit that test. One of my sons will have his restricted when he comes to Oz, will that mean anything over there. Also is it true that you have to be 16 to get your license. Catherine
QLD
Queensland Learner Drivers

You can get a Queensland learner licence once you are aged 16 years and six months.

Once you have obtained this learner licence, you are able to drive a motor vehicle on the road providing you are with someone who has held an open licence for that class of vehicle for at least one year.

Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
QLD
Queensland Learner Drivers

You can get a Queensland learner licence once you are aged 16 years and six months.

Once you have obtained this learner licence, you are able to drive a motor vehicle on the road providing you are with someone who has held an open licence for that class of vehicle for at least one year.
Would that be the same in New South Wales? What happens then? Do you have to do any more tests or does it just autimaticaly become a full liscence after a year and a half is up. If your half way through getting your liscence in NZ (restricted) do they take that into account or do you have to start from scratch again over there. Catherine.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:50 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Would that be the same in New South Wales? What happens then? Do you have to do any more tests or does it just autimaticaly become a full liscence after a year and a half is up. If your half way through getting your liscence in NZ (restricted) do they take that into account or do you have to start from scratch again over there. Catherine.
Its similar to the NZ thing, you have to sit an exam, then get your provisional & then have it for a certain amount of time before you get your open licence etc. Times etc will change but the basic premise & outline is similar.

But Im pretty sure you will get diddly squat until you turn the age stipulated for each licence. You will have to start from scratch is my guess.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:53 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to do any more tests or does it just autimaticaly become a full liscence after a year and a half is up.
This reminds me of the old saying "where did you get your licence, off the back of a cornflake packet?" LOL

One for Mikes Aussie sayings thread .
Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:57 am
ABCDiamond

New South Wales Learner Drivers gov web site

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/index.html

Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:00 am
Badge

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
This reminds me of the old saying "where did you get your licence, off the back of a cornflake packet?" LOL

One for Mikes Aussie sayings thread .
I got mine through the Armed Forces. Didn't have to do parallel parking, reverse round corner. Just as well as I didn't get much chance to practise it as the instructor was busy that week...

At the end of the day experience is everything so I like the aussie system; sure you can pass a test, but your reactions are no where near as good as a driver who's [even] been driving for 2 weeks in his own car. Most of the real driving skills you pick after you pass the 'base acceptable level' test. IMHO, you have to learn how to really drive, not just the way the teacher tells you.

Someone was talking about licensing the other day, and apparently if you pass in an automatic in Aussie, after so many years you can drive a manual without any more tests, is that playing field talk, or is it fair dinkum?

Badge

Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...car/index.html

In NSW

Step 1 Driver Knowledge Test

This gives one L Plates and Learners license.

Step 2 DART After 50 hours driving with a full license holder the driver can take the Driving ability Road Test
Basically a road test where an RTA employee will test you like a UK driving test.

On Passing DART the learner will get their Red P plates.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_licence.html

Step 3 HPT After 12 months on Ps the red Ps the driver can then take the Hazard Perception test.
On passing the HPT the driver will get the Green Ps
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...sional_p2.html

Step 4 DQT After 24 months on the Green Ps the driver can take the driving qualification test. On passing the DQT the driver can get a full license.

A Kiwi license holder will join in one of the above stages depending on how long they have had their full license. Eg someone having driven for under a year on a full license would go to red Ps.

Read more of the above web site for more details.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I've been doing the sample tests for a NSW license - you can get them from the link in the previous posts.

You'll laugh when you do them - they are that daft.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 7:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The other condition of getting Ps is to get a set of fully sik wheels. At a minimum you must have a phat exhaust pipe that wakes up the neighbourhood. Other options include wings on the rear and a rude no plate such as sikunt.

Next you will drive down to Brighton Le Sands and accelerate as hard as you can and brake as hard as you can between lights. If you see a girl outside you and your mates must start shouting at her.

For fully sikdom you must mistime your turbo so hit makes a loud hissing noise at gear change. Apparently it turns the biatches wet.

Bix aren't you going onto Ps?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Default thanx guys

Thanks thats great, that website was real helpful. Oh wot a shame my 15 yr old will have to wait another year to get his learners, so sad.....not. I was once given the advice to keep your teenagers off the road and broke as long as possible. I would have to agree, it gives them a chance to grow up a bit. cheers Catherine.